Living with and after Blood Cancer

Didn’t have much to start with, so from zero to zero ain’t difficult! I’ve always been involved in these sorts of activities, so hard to know how to advise newcomers, but the simplest activity to start must be walking. Most centres of population now seem to be doing what they can to encourage physical activity and have usually got walking groups aimed at different sectors of the population. Local papers, libraries etc. usually have details and general experience suggests that any additional physical activity has many benefits, social, psychological and physical. No need to go mad; even the so-called Park Run events don’t have to involve running - a steady walk with company is perfectly acceptable! Slightly tongue-in-cheek, but getting a dog can be a wonderful spur to becoming more active and can give an intro into a whole new social circle, with their waterproofs, leads and poo-bags. Just don’t try to start with a Kelpie-collie such as my daughter “lends” me from time to time. Twenty kilogrammes of hyperactive muscle is a bit too much for a beginner. Our local Bloodwise support group used to organise annual fund-raising walks; we’ve not had the numbers to do this recently, but again, joining in such a walk could give you the boost you might need to get going. Unless you have already been a cyclist, it’s probably not something to take up when you are feeling below par. On the other hand, even if you don’t have a garden, there may be folk with allotments who would welcome a bit of assistance, as do the stalwarts who get their communities into Britain in Bloom or similar competitions. These can offer companionship and whatever level of physical activity suits you. The opportunities are there; it’s undoubtedly the first step that’s the most difficult. What’s the saying " a march of 1000 miles starts with a single step". No need to aim for the 1000 miles, but do take the first step if you possibly can. Dick

2 Likes