Masks, Social Distancing etc - How are we all feeling about total lifting of restictions?

Based on what we know or have been told already. If restrictions were lifted June 21st how would you react. I am very positive about the vaccines and it is good that admissions to hospitals are lower than the 1st peak. On the other hand cases are rising and currently R rate is above 1. I was interested in the opinions of cev group members.
If for example they were lifted on 21June and R rate was over 1 with hospital admissions and death rate still low and you had both jabs what would your reaction be? A lot of us have appointments, that we need to attend outside heamotology as well, we need to keep them for our health, but we need to avoid risking our health unnecessarily as well, sorry if that sounds like a contradictory post stay safe

3 Likes

Hi @anon06, those are all the things that are going round in my head.
I am listening to the medical experts, my medical team and Blood Cancer UK whereas the outside world are listening to the government announcements.
Some family and friends are pressurising me to meet up, which hurts me, and makes me more determined to re-enter the world on my terms.
I am also watching the rising numbers and just want to see how they pan out as the number of people getting vaccinated increases.
I have shielded for this long that I do not want it to be for nothing now.
I have CLL and I know my immune system is compromised. About 6 weeks ago I had not produced any antibodies.
I am now not wearing my mask when there is nobody about on my daily walk, small steps.
Your post just shows the dilemmas I think many of us have, no answers probably just more questions.
Take care and stay safe,

5 Likes

As always when the sun shines I feel more positive. The delta variant is in my area so that is a bit of a knock back but the recent data seems to suggest that it will be covered by the jabs. The recent research seems to suggest that our response to the jabs will have given us a fair degree of immunity. (Thank you Anthony Nolan and Blood Cancer UK) I think I will experience my freedoms in the fresh air as much as I can and watch data locally. It is great to see the grandchildren and play golf with friends. What a challenge for the Government and the advisors what is absolutely sure is that whatever they decide will not be universally liked.

2 Likes

Hi @GrandmaJo it must be great seeing your grandchildren and a round of golf and natter sounds good to me.

1 Like

Sorry to harp on, but today there was a 60% rise in cases. Yet we are told effectively that their is no need to panic or divert from June 21, because hospital admissions remain fairly flat.
YES THAT’S RIGHT A SIXTY PERCENT RISE WEEK ON WEEK. You tell me what happens next (to cev group members especially), if more restrictions are lifted? I’m just concerned. It reminds me of Christmas 2020 and what happened next?!
How do we cope?
I ask the question how would people feel if they got Covid now.
If it was me I would hardly be reassured about the fact that admissions to hospital were flat?!
I am deeply worried about everyone and the potential scenario.
Thank you very much Blood Cancer Uk for giving people a voice.

5 Likes

I feel the same but my main concern is with all the hard work being focused on with getting as many people vaccinated, theres no advised to how long it lasts and also why is it that even with these new variants out there the government are not taking the right decisions to extend the " freedom deadline"

Ive been in my house now since the first lock down and ventured out only a few times and its as if nothings changed from the norm apart from " the odd mask wearer’s ".

Ive had both vaccines and still im told to be careful as they dont know it will even protect me.

I feel its far yo soon to lower the restrictions and also we are fighting fire with fire re the vaccines as people are just not being careful ( a vaccinated person dosnt mean your invisible people)

3 Likes

Hi @wooboo1974, @GrandmaJo and @anon06.
Firstly a great big welcome to you @wooboo1974, and I believe Blood Cancer UK, along with other like minded charities, are campaigning against lifting further restrictions on the 21 July to the government and I think a press release will be released imminently.
I think we are all concerned that Covid cases are rising, albeit from a low base, rather rapidly.
I do think that the NHS has done really well implementing the vaccine roll out and continues to do so.
Unfortunately research does take time and I am part of the University of Birmingham project looking into vaccination and CLL.
As research has never been carried out before on any vaccines effectiveness on blood cancer patients it must be difficult to be able to practically benchmark what producing any level of response means.
It just gets more and more confusing.
We are all here to support each other through this scary maze.

4 Likes

I think its fantastic that Blood Cancer Uk is involved with this!
As a nation the “powers that be” should also reassure people and look to the future…
I’m afraid delaying restrictions is only half the battle though.
I feel that re-implementing some restrictions that were lifted 17 may need to happen. Delighted that Blood Cancer Uk is involved with other charities, the cev groups desperately need a voice!
Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much you give us hope!

2 Likes

Hi all I don’t think restrictions should be lifted. I think masks should be made mandatory inside and outside. I took my partners son out yesterday to the local lake a d he wanted to go to the park. So we walked over to it I was surprised at the fact baring in mind we were all in close quarters I was the only one wearing a mask. I know I’m safe I regularly take a test I need to know I’m ok if I’ve been out. I always wear a mask. Everyone was told cases would rise when restrictions were lifted. It the hospital rates and deaths they needed to look at.
I think some people need to take a long hard look at how they are behaving and realise its their fault we have these restrictions… The government wanted people to take responsibility for themselves. People clearly can’t do that… They need to be told… Just so they can have a good moan about it…!!

5 Likes

I sympathise totally. I was offered an antibody test through Biobank some time after my second jab. I had none. The research seems to show that this is the likely case for most people with blood cancer, yet the Government and the Press are saying nothing. No figures are given on people catching COVID after having had 2 vaccines letting us know if they if they had weak immunune systems. There seems to be the over-all assumption that if you’ve had both jabs, you’re protected. Those who aren’t need to know. I’m so pleased that I do. I’m balancing safety and sanity, which my consultant agrees is the right thing to do. I can only think the, obviously agreed, silence on this is to avoid panic, which is dangerous and stupid. We ALL have a RIGHT to know just how careful we should be. Blood Cancer UK seems to be the only organisation making people aware of the vulnerability that so many people might have. Please, Blood Cancer try to insist that the Government give us all the situation as they know it and do more do more research so we have a much better picture of the real situation.

3 Likes

Yes @GardenerGran I had a Biobank antibody test too, and no antibodies either.
I also think Blood Cancer UK is the one organisations to be flying the flag and campaigning for us and funding research into different blood cancers and the effectiveness of antibodies. Take care and stay safe everyone.

2 Likes

I take your point about people, some see it as the Government being drunk with power…

People should obey the rules
These rules are dictated by the scientists, NOT the Government, the Government relay them to us.

In conclusion we are in this situation no matter who we blame, for which I remain tight lipped. I would not blame anyone publicly, however we ALL need to play our part and think about the less fortunate eg cev groups. Some people are selfish and irresponsible and should consider the effect this can have on cev group members. I am disgusted at this “I’m alright jack” attitude I see on social media who complain about things being held back.

Lifting remaining restrictions in the current climate would be like pouring petrol on a covid fire.
These selfish people also need to remember the time it takes for the vaccine to build full immunity, which will help stop the spread.
There is also uncertainty over how well these vaccines work on cev group members, which should promote caution NOT selfishness.
I believe we should remain positive, believe in the scientists, living our lives cautiously thinking about EVEYONE ELSE.

If restrictions were not lifted I would breath a huge sigh of relief, yet more needs to be done BY EVERYONE and attitudes need to change by EVERYONE for EVERYONE.

Nice to have my posts liked, means a lot and this charity means EVERYTHING TO ME
All for one and one for all!

2 Likes

Ill admit that I feel nervous and extremely stressed (that has made me feel ill including sever headaches) about tomorrow’s announcement but once again I feel very assured and grateful that Blood Cancer Uk as well as other charities will be fighting for the cev group corner! So grateful to Everyone thank you

2 Likes

You’re right, Ells, we can’t trust the general public to follow the rules because they really don’t understand our point of view.

3 Likes

Sorry to hog this board, I was very relieved yesterday… My only concern is that Parliament could over throw this decision with a vote and Tory backbenchers are furious at the decision.

1 Like

It is wonderful. Today I nearly melted on the golf course. So far I have played two games with the ladies and come last both times. Despite walking and Pilates my golf fitness is poor and I start like a superstar and run out of steam two thirds of the way around. Lockdown has a lot to answer for this but in all honesty I sometimes think that I am just not as strong since my CML.

1 Like

Hi @GrandmaJo isn’t it interesting despite the fact that you had been keeping fit in lockdown that your golf fitness was poor. It’s the old saying that if you don’t use it you loose it.
Mind you it is a good excuse for more golf with the girls, I will be interested in hearing how the building back up of that fitness goes.
I think a lot of blood cancers have fatigue as a side effect.
I find the hot weather and humidity drains me.
The only thing I remember the doctor telling me at diagnosis was to avoid humidity, I did not question why. h
Has anyone else experienced a loss of fitness over the last 15 mths?

Hi its me again
I just read that Boris Johnson will announce on Monday 28 June if restrictions could be lifted 2 weeks earlier than planned.
Personally I would be more than happy if he waited until June 19 to lift them regardless of figures, as I’m sure some cev group members would.
The “word” is that he will stick to 19 July. I would prefer the original “later” date, because regardless of Daily figures that extra fortnight would give vaccines longer to “bed” into the systems. May I add as a cev group member I would prefer early August for all restrictions to be lifted, or is that taking caution too far? Not that I’m a pessimist.

As a nation we want things to go back to normal ASAP, yes but SAFELY, just that extra fortnight would make all the difference. So yes I’d wait till June 19 for the sake of a fortnight.

I’m just worried for everyone’s sakes
I look forward to hearing from you and everyone else.

Thank you Blood Cancer Uk a voice.

Ps since posting more fans are to be allowed at Euro semi finals 6th and 7th July 75% capacity , I would be interested to know peoples thoughts and what blood cancer uk think of this, particularly as there were 11,625 positive cases 22nd June.

2 Likes

Hi @anon06, yes, I understand your facts and feelings.
I just ensure that always wear my mask outside, socially distance and I do not get myself into crowded situations, that all I can do, I cannot control others (unfortunately !!) and I try to keep my stress levels down.
Take care and stay safe.

2 Likes

Hi @anon6. Here’s my take on this. There is what I know, and there is what I feel. I know the facts given by reputable virologists and by my haematology team at the hospital. What I feel is insecurity both about my immune response having had both vaccines, and the possibility of the emergence of new variants. I stress that I’m not scaremongering and I have not heard of any new variants. So I will continue to wear a mask and socially distance. Good friends understand and support my view and so far nobody has been critical of my precautions but if they were, I would ask myself how caring the friendship was and why my mask troubles them.
So carry on doing what you are comfortable with, and good friends will support you……and so will we.

4 Likes