Masks, Social Distancing etc - How are we all feeling about total lifting of restictions?

Thanks for your comment, but unlike yourself and your friends, I find that there is too much selfishness in society and cev group members are being excluded from society for the sake of the economy.

To add to my previous comment which if it brakes rules apologies in advance
Looking at attitudes towards vaccines and herd immunity with advice on Mask wearing (meaning there is still a risk) as a cev group member, I feel as if society has put many of us on the human waste disposal heap.
I just wanted to express the feelings of many who have been forgotten

I believe that we will come through this pandemic stronger.
There are many lessons to be learned though and we should make public hygiene safer.

I think stricter hygiene laws should be made compulsory.
I would make it compulsory for hygiene gells in shops to be installed and the public made to use them or if they have a condition use their own sanitizer. Of course there are cameras to make sure they obey the laws.
What would you like to see to improve hygiene standards in public places?

4 Likes

@anon06 perhaps going on your thoughts having hand sanitisers at the entrance to public transport, cinemas, theatres, hairdressers, nail bars, eateries and all shops etcā€¦
Perhaps the looking at wearing masks might need to be looked at as well.
I think enforcement is much more difficult, especially for smaller establishments as they have not got the resources.
I look forward to the views of others.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply

1 Like

Definitely hand sanitisers everywhere. Ive also been really impressed with how clean some public toilets have been kept. It would be good to not let these standards slip!

2 Likes

I like your reply. From my own experience on the subject of toilets, I would have to disagree. Perhaps you are lucky, because I have been less than impressed, without putting to finer point on it, especially pubs & hospitals. McDonaldā€™s are ok, but there is always room for improvement.

In most cases I have to use a full can of detol spray before I use them and wore a mask long before the pandemic!. You say it would be good not too let standards slip, can I politely reply and say unfortunately innocent victims such as myself have slipped on entering them. Syringes have also been found on the floor. How lucky you are.
Infact I would increase toilet hygiene 100%, and make it my first priority if I was in charge
Thanks very much for your input

1 Like

It sounds as though I have been very lucky in the ones Iā€™ve been in. A very good priority to have!

2 Likes

I completely get your point. And thatā€™s why I find it so frustrating all this talk about ā€œnormalā€ after whatever date! For us or anyone with health issues and low immunity, face masks in shops, theaters, pubs, public transport, restaurants etc. should be compulsory forever!

3 Likes

Just wondering how other people feel when they start talking about the possibility of lifting all restrictions, including mask wearing and social distancing.
Itā€™s mask wearing and social distancing that have given me the confidence to go out more and get back to some normality.
I think both these actions make a difference to stopping the spread of Covid and itā€™s variants.

Whenever there is talk of lifting all restrictions the reason for being able to do so is because, ā€˜most of the population will have had 2 jabsā€™!

Nothing is ever mentioned about the percentage of the population for whom the 2 jabs may have given little or no protection! I feel I have been put away in a box and forgotten about!

Would it really be such a hard thing to do, to continue to put a mask on when in public places!

7 Likes

Hi @AnnD, I agree with what you say and now we have another 4 weeks without most restrictions being lifted.
I am impressed with the NHS vaccination roll out and the more people that get vaccinated the better and also the better for me. As for my vaccinations I do not know if I have produced any antibodies or how effective they are. Apparently we do not know how effective any type of vaccinations are on the blood cancer community.
I am still watching the number of Covid infections rising, albeit from a low base.
I will dip a toe into the world when I feel it is right for me and there is nothing to stop me wearing a mask, keeping away from crowded areas and social distancing.
I cannot control the actions of others and I realise that I am the one with the blood cancer.
I do feel that the CEV were not even mentioned last night and my concern is that whether we will continue to get priority on line shopping and assistance with shopping and prescription collections.
Thoughts not answers I am afraid.
What are the thoughts of others.

1 Like

@AnnD itā€™s frustrating isnā€™t it that there hasnā€™t been given any thought what does it mean ā€œwe have to learn with this virusā€. If they think that they now begin to ā€œteachā€ that facemask and social distancing is a good practice even after full unlocking, then they are foolish! Most people just want to get on with their lives AS BEFORE Covid meaning we are defending ourselves as we see bestā€¦ and Iā€™m tired of even thinking that I have to explain daily to others why I donā€™t do something or why asking someone to keep their distance (the badge is lovely, but if even hospital stuff doesnā€™t get the message of it what hope there is for others?)ā€¦

2 Likes

Hi AnnD, I do agree, I wish we were more like other countries who wore masks prior to Covid as a natural everyday occurence. I had an appointment with my oncologist and transplant nurse today and due to social distancing and mask wearing theyā€™d have very few problems in the haematology clinic due to respiratory viruses, a big positive for them and their patients.
I think that wearing a mask will soon make us the odd ones out but we have to protect ourselves. Before I had my myeloma diagnosis last October I admit that I wouldnā€™t have been aware of people with blood cancers and the lack of immunity from the covid vaccine so sadly I think unless you are in our vulnerable position we are a minority group that arenā€™t generally considered or mentioned.Thatā€™s why this site and others blood cancer organisations are such important advocates for us.
Although I wish we could all be one of the double vaccinated healthy people who could get back to a ā€˜normalā€™ life this is not to be and we need to be strong, adapt and keep protecting ourselves as best we can. As Erica says as time goes by the more people being vaccinated, the more protected we are so hopefully it will eventually be safer for us as a community to enjoy more activities without the anxiety that we all currently share. Take Care x

5 Likes

I canā€™t see anything wrong with wearing masks for as long as you want to. Will help stop the spread of flu and other winter bugs. I shall carry on wearing mine. For info - Iā€™ve had an antibody spike test and after 2 Pfizer vaccines- my result was a really poor 0.04%. I have CLL and expected a low score but not so low!! Thatā€™s why I will continue to wear a mask.

2 Likes

Iā€™m new to this forum and so pleased not to be alone with this anxiety. Having been diagnosed and treated for NHL since May last year Iā€™m positive that Covid restrictions have also protected me from many other infections. But now itā€™s going to get a whole lot more tricky. Wearing masks reminds me of hot, nauseating chemo sessions so Iā€™m not keen to wear them. Iā€™ll be relying on the fact that, with such a superb vaccine roll out, the incidence of Covid generally in the population will be kept down. I really hope weā€™ll be front of the queue for booster doses in September as it feels like weā€™re being left behind as the country opens up. Is it time to write to Prof Whitty?

2 Likes

Hi @MountainGirl a great big welcome to our forum, and you are certainly not alone with your anxiety. If you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
I do wear a mask as for me it is in the hope people will social distance from me more.
I have heard others say that infection rates, flu and cold rates are down because of lockdowns. My husband and I didnā€™t have any colds come to think of it.
I will also be first in my local queue for a booster vaccine in the autumn here.
I can see that you are poised with pen and paper to write to Prof Whitty.
I look forward to hearing more about you.

1 Like

For me being hard of hearing and needing to lip read I canā€™t wait for the masks to go! Iā€™ve ot been at work since boxing day mainly due to this and having to wait for equipment to be set up etc.

1 Like

Oh, @Emmaco people wearing masks must feel so isolating for you.
What a long time it has taken for your work to get equipment set up etc.
A friend of mine with blood cancer has the same problem and now makes medical people aware beforehand of her issue and ā€˜usuallyā€™ they wear a visor instead.
Has anyone else any similar experiences?

I was shielding Erica till the end of March and from then on had to be assessed by Access To Work for equipment. They were very good but its just taken so long to be sorted. I feel very cut off from work but Iā€™m hoping to be back next month. I havenā€™t been putting myself in any situations where there is mask wearing as I donā€™t like having to explain myself to people why I struggle. People still donā€™t understand why a deaf person needs to lip read. Itā€™s hard.

1 Like

Hi @Emmaco, having people not understand really must be so hard for you on an ongoing basis.