Welcome back!

Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

Oh wow @Danmar, good luck and please keep us informed. I will be thinking about you and hoping all goes smoothly xxx

3 Likes

Thanks @Lyn99, I am just taking it a day at a time. How are you doing?

Have had a lovely few days in Derbyshire, lots of walking, Monsal trail, Bakewell and a few nice pub lunches, few glasses of wine. I could be fooled into thinking I am normal (apart from my wig).
Our new baby is coming on 1st Oct so I will get a cuddle before all the drama starts. This is my 4th grandchild :heart:

4 Likes

Hi @Summertime, Derbyshire sounded just what the doctor ordered.
Oh, a cuddle will be so so special before all the drama starts.
Keep posting how you are feeling and doing, please

3 Likes

Wow @Danmar, that’s a bit of a shock but brilliant news. You will be great. It really isn’t too bad at all. Just a few days of nausea but that’s the worse thing really. Wishing you all the best and will be thinking of you. Xx

4 Likes

Honestly I have a few days without my phone and everything changes!
Congratulations @Summertime - and I don’t believe you have 3 grandchildren already with the joy of another one due so soon. I love Derbyshire and the Peak District. Had lots of small breaks there in the past.
And @Danmar wow! That was a fast turnaround. So pleased for you and I have my fingers crossed very tight.
What sort of levels are your bloods at @Lyn99 ? Mine are slowly and steadily climbing up. But as I was operating on an empty tank for such a long while I’m coping with more than I’ve had even if it’s nowhere minimum normal.
My head is still a bit of an ice rink (it’s always cool and slippery :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: so it’s good that you are seeing potential tresses.xxxxxx

3 Likes

Good to hear from you @ChrisCKW. Are you about 6 weeks post transplant now? You and @Lyn99 seem to be doing amazing.
I’ve been reading about the Hickman line tonight, scared myself silly. Are you awake when they put it in? My picc was painless going in but nightmare coming out🥺. Also how long is it in for?

I have had appt come through for next tues for outpatients haemotology so I suspect it is another bone marrow biopsy to see if I need more chemo. Wish my donor would get a wiggle on!

Hope all going well for you @Danmar

xxx

4 Likes

Today is day +42 - exactly 6 weeks! Spot on @Summertime
The hinkman line got postponed a week because my platelets were so low and they couldn’t get any in time (I needed hla matched). Then they said I probably wouldn’t be admitted as there were no beds. So I had without sedative or it’s a minimum of 24 hours no driving. It wasn’t too bad. But if you don’t have to drive the sedative will make it a breeze.
Me and my veins are small so doctor asked me to him whilst he was inserting line :rofl: I thought he was joking but he wasn’t.
Of course I got a call to be admitted for 9pm that day.
But can say the removal of my picc line was simple - so I guess we are all different xxxxx

3 Likes

Wow - brave without a sedative. Hope you’re doing ok :blush:

3 Likes

To be honest I have most things without sedative - - I’m tiny and if they give me standard dose of meds it’s usually way too much for me. It is on my notes to check dosage against child weight - but I worry that it might get overlooked and then I’ll be woozy for days :flushed: x

2 Likes

Oh @ChrisCKW and @Nichola75 I’m little too, but I always go for all the sedatives and painkillers I can get !!

3 Likes

I never used to but since the bone marrow biopsy at diagnosis - where I stupidly chose not to have the sedative, I will now take anything that’s offered to me!!!

4 Likes

@Nichola75 does it make that much difference? I go into panic mode and get so tense so they only have to touch me and I’m jumping a mile :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Even blood tests cause me anxiety now. Have to just take my brain to a peaceful place :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Hi @Summertime my advice is take anything offered to make the procedure more comfortable. Xx

2 Likes

Hi all, had a bit of a set back Tuesday. Had Hickman line removed and developed a pretty nasty infection about an hour afterwards so rushed back into hospital for IV antibiotics. Hopefully should be out at the weekend but never felt so poorly before, a bit scary. Don’t tell Summertime or Danmar!! Xx

3 Likes

Hi @Nichola75, my goodness I bet you regretted that one. Xx

1 Like

Hi @ChrisCKW, you may be little but I reckon you’re hard as nails. Do you wear just a sleeveless vest in winter :rofl: xx

2 Likes

Hi @ChrisCKW, blood levels still low so had two blood transfusions. I think it just takes time to get the stem cells up to speed. I’m about 73 on Hb, although neuts and platelets are good. My Hb was much higher before admission so not used to being this low. See message below back in hospital :disappointed_relieved: xx

2 Likes

Oh @Lyn99, mum’s the word, that infection and feeling so poorly sounds scary to me.
Really look after yourself.

3 Likes

Oh flipping heck​:scream: hope you feel better soon and get home soon too :relieved:xxx

3 Likes