Really dry skin after chemotherapy

Thank you Adam for both suggestions :relaxed::relaxed:

3 Likes

my gp nurse prescribed menthol moisturising cream and then the gp prescribed steroid cream for two weeks .they worked now I just heavily moisturise morning and night and its sooo much better .I do sympathise it just drove me nuts

3 Likes

I have been using Aveeno The prebiotic oat meal complex (has a dark blue top). Alongside the body wash it has really proved effective. I’ve been prone to dry skin for years but it worsened during chemotherapy and that’s when I changed from the green topped to the blue. There is also a shampoo if needed.

I hope your Dad gives it a try and it helps him

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of Aveeno!

3 Likes

Hey Erica

I’m good thanks, and I hope the same goes for you!

I went for my first stand up paddle a couple of weeks ago with my daughter - it was amazing!

Stranglely, for a 52 year old who has spent lots of his life on, in or underwater, I had a serious mental block to getting back out there again. I guess it goes back to the fear I gained about getting an infection or virus during chemo last year.

Anyway - I survived, have been a few times since, and can’t wait to go sailing again when the old boat can be put back in the water!

Interestingly, in my last 3 month consult (still on the phone) my consultant suggested next time in August, I go in for a face to face as he acknowledged from diagnosis through to completing my treatment, I haven’t seen anyone without us all having face masks on! He also acknowledged the personal difficulties I have experienced because ‘normal’ face to face support through such a traumatic journey was non-existent because of the pandemic!

In spite of my own difficulties, I remain in awe of how the NHS and their staff dealt with me during such difficult times! Legends - all of them, even down to the lovely receptionists at the entrance to the treatment centre! …:0)x

3 Likes

I use aveeno (like several others on here) but also use exeskin for very dry areas. It’s recommended for post chemo scalps too. Obviously (if you know me) it’s a natural base product and it’s cleared up a persistent dry patch nicely.

Ps they also make a shower gel from the same natural ingredients. I’ve bought it but yet to try it as using up last of aveeno shower gel.

3 Likes

It’s been driving my Dad mad too but I think he’s on top of it at the moment!!! I’ve been telling him to moisturise any time he’s itchy!!

4 Likes

Hi @Janeb. Did you find anything that has helped?

1 Like

Hi Nichola75, my Dad has just been applying the moisturiser more regularly and I think that has helped him.

3 Likes

Good to hear that it’s eased :blush:

2 Likes

After spending a fortune of different creams the one that worked for me was Morrisons own unscented moisturising cream.
Cheap too, which is a bonus.

3 Likes