Ask the Experts - Blood cancer, Covid Vaccine Efficacy and Treatments – What do we know so far?

I assume Dr Lee will cover the anticipated announcement from DHSC today that there is expected to be a delay in any Evusheld rollout ie not in time for Autumn 2022. Are there any other prophylactic treatments going through trials at the moment that might become alternatives to Evusheld soon ? (I think they are testing sotrovimab as a prophylactic at some sites?)

1 Like

Reminder that this is happening now! (20+) Blood Cancer UK | Facebook

3 Likes

Thank you to the amazing panel
Very informative and thank you for pushing Evusheld
Thank you blood cancer uk
Thank you all

3 Likes

Thanks so much for that feedback @2DB

2 Likes

I just watched the event and it was excellent giving much information and “just what we need” to hear in that regard - so helpful so much appreciation to all involved

2 Likes

Covid: Evusheld antibody protection ruled out for most vulnerable Covid: Evusheld antibody protection ruled out for most vulnerable - BBC News

just read this in the Guardian. So what now?

Dear @Spimula, we thought you, along with the many other blood cancer patients, would like to read our blog regarding the Evusheld decision: What's the latest on Evusheld? | Blood Cancer UK. If you do need to discuss further please do get in touch. Kind regards Gemma

3 Likes

Really useful information in the link. Thanks @GemmaBloodCancerUK :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for latest information on Evusheld. Have used your template letter to email MP.

2 Likes

Dear

I understand that the MHRA highlighted uncertainty about the appropriate dose to combat the Omicron variant and that is why the UK Health Security Agency tested the efficacy of the Evusheld against the Omicron variants earlier this year. The Department for Health and Social Care is now conducting an assessment of the effectiveness of Evusheld and has asked clinicians to advise on the most appropriate options for the NHS in line with data, the public health situation and other treatments available.

The Government has been advised that data on the duration of protection offered by the drug against the Omicron variant is unclear, so it will not be purchasing Evusheld doses at this current time.

However, I understand that officials will meet with AstraZeneca to understand whether any new data has emerged from other countries that should be considered. Evusheld will also be submitted for a full appraisal by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Djanogly MP
Member of Parliament for the Huntingdon Constituency

Reply from MP re Evusheld today.

4 Likes

I got told by my consultant yesterday that Evusheld is not available here and that was it
I was trying to tell her it’s been delayed , about NICE and how it’s been put back till April 2023 and about the work that blood cancer uk are doing and she didn’t seem interested in knowing anymore

When I said to her I was concerned about the paragraphs on the gov.uk summary of product characterises for spikevax ref
Immunocompromised individuals
Duration of protection
Limitations of vaccine effectiveness
She replied…

“The government have to put those paragraphs because they have to protect themselves”
(From what exactly)

It’s factual information and I thought she may have been concerned too

It doesn’t look like she will be advocating Evusheld anytime soon
I have to say very disappointed

2 Likes

Hi, Evusheld being discussed on the Jeremy Vine show today radio 2 from 12.00.
Every little helps.!!!
If anyone was going to listen on bbc sounds it starts just after 1.00. Worth a listen.

2 Likes

Hi Blood cancer uk,
If the vaccines are not tested on immunocompromised how did they know only to give us half a dose of the Moderna as a booster.?:thinking:

1 Like