Ask the Experts - Blood cancer, Covid Vaccine Efficacy and Treatments – What do we know so far?

No sign-up necessary, just join us on Facebook. you’ll be able to watch it live even if you don’t have a Facebook account!
Panellists:

• Host: Rachel Kahn – Senior Research Communications Manager
  • Dr Lennard Lee – NHS Oncologist and Academic Clinical Lecturer
  • Dr Alison Uriel - Research Lead in Infectious Diseases
  • Dr Tal Munir – Consultant Haematologist
  • Dr Andy Pettitt – Professor of Haemato-oncology
  • Dr Victoria Tecca – Blood Cancer UK Policy Officer

Please use this thread to submit your questions for our panel of experts, and to continue the discussions after the event.

7 Likes

@Alice_BloodCancerUK Hi Alice, my question is as follows:
I have had an antibody test to check if the vaccine worked as part of a study. I got a positive result. However, it is not clear whether the amount of antibodies I have would give sufficient protection.
Would I get Evusheld on that basis?

3 Likes

This will be really interesting. I know there are so many questions surrounding this subject! :blush:

1 Like

Really do not understand why this is still being discussed and not prescribed?:thinking:
This was posted when the topic was just discussing EVUSHELD.

2 Likes

What a good idea this is. I have so many questions!

• I agree with Purdy1966 that a yes/ no on antibodies is not adequate for a decision on who to choose for Evusheld or anything for that matter. So is the NHS going to move towards giving antibody titres? Is the NHS going to be clear about what level of titres are considered protective against different variants?
  • Are the decision makers ( for antivirals and Evusheld) aware of the number of immunosuppressed people and their families who are still shielding? This affects the measure of risk and loss of economic activity.
  • If Evusheld does get approved for use in the NHS how long will it take to reach patients?
  • If the NHS doesn’t offer Evusheld will it be possible to obtain it privately? If it does become available but is restricted will it be available to obtain it privately for those who fall through the net?
  • Are the antivirals still effective against Omicron and it’s variants?
  • How near are we to a vaccine against the Covid nucleoid?
  • How can one trust a system which failed to identify people with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) as at high risk?
    What we really need is transparency around decision making and accessibility to any current or future protective measures so that we can feel as safe as everyone else to resume our lives.
5 Likes

I have Hb of about 109. Does this mean that when Covid causes breathlessness, I would have inadequate oxygen circulation to the brain and suffer brain fog?
I have been told that Hb gives inadequate circulation below 100 but this referred to cases where there was no breathlessness. Jumbo4

2 Likes

My husband is reluctant to have any more booster vaccines as after Pfizer booster he was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. He thinks their is a link between Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and the vaccine. Is this a possibility?

4 Likes

Why is it Consultants and GP’s are not aware that Evusheld exists

2 Likes

my GP said he didn’t know anything about antebody tests yet if we are to have jabs every 3 months I feel feedback is important. Any info about tests and whether they are worth buying welcomed.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your questions so far!

3 Likes

I don’t have a Facebook page
Will this be available anywhere else to watch like YouTube p

1 Like

Hi @2DB you don’t need to have a Facebook page. You’ll be able to watch it live just by going to the page linked to here -

(12) Blood Cancer UK | Facebook

We’ll make sure it’s uploaded to Youtube afterwards as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brilliant
Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The questions raised by purdy1966 and Lababe are spot on and exactly those that need to be put to the experts, with the expectation that we will receive unvarnished straight answers. If there are answers that are difficult for the experts to publically declare due to political sensitivities then these answers should be given anonymously through the voice of Blood Cancer UK.

In relation to overseas travel and access to covid antiviral treatments. My current understanding is that the antiviral drug Paxlovid or indeed any other covid treatment cannot be purchased/prescribed in advanced as an assessment is required at point of contracting covid before a definitive decision of best treatment if any is agreed. So my question is, if I was travelling to countries like Canada, Australia, the USA or going on a cruise say in the Mediteranean or the Far East, what pre travel preparation/information gathering should I do to ensure I have the best chance of receiving the appropriate antiviral treatment if I caught covid whilst overseas on holiday.

3 Likes

As it now doesn’t look like Evusheld is going to be available anytime soon. Will we be able to get it privately?

Please can we have a test to see if we have any antibodies to the various Covid variants. That we do not have to fund ourselves. Would be great to know and maybe give us some reassurance when trying to resume a NORMAL LIFE?

1 Like

Hi, I have a question about the boosters. I have had 3 primary doses and 2 boosters (5 vaccines). My last vaccine was at the end of March 2022. The NHS Covid vaccine website says I maybe able to book another booster but that would be my 6th vaccine. I wondered if I should attempt to get a sixth vaccine (is anyone else on the forum in my situation and 3 months+ since their second booster?) or if I should wait until the autumn boosters with the possibility of getting a vaccine that has been modified for the Omicron variant? I am JAK2+ ET and have been on Peginterferon for 3 months. This has made me neutropenic so I am worried about catching Covid especially knowing my antibodies might be waning since my last vaccine. I would appreciate the experts advice. Also is there any guidance around whether we should stop taking the Peginterferon around the time of any Covid boosters? Thank you

1 Like