Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

Oh @summertime that’s not the news I wanted to hear. How frightening for you, it must be totally exhausting to deal with all the issues you’ve been faced with. It’s positive that it’s not gvh disease but they need to find the problem and get it sorted for you. I can understand you being worried about going back home until they’ve found the issue or at least know that the problem is settling before venturing away from the hospital. A little weep is perfectly understandable, I think a monumental wail would be ok after the :poop: you’ve been through!! Keep going, you’re a strong lady, our thoughts are with you. :hugs::hugs:xx

6 Likes

Oh @Summertime what a completely scary week you have had.
I just want to pick you up and give you a great big enormous hug.
That amount of blood loss is so, so vividly scary for both you and your hubs.
Then you bounce back to Addenbrookes and straight onto a Covid ward, scary again.
I am not surprised you feel a bit scared to go home, but on the other hand you obviously want to be home to share hubs 70th.
I know it is not the same and you and hubs have spent so, so long apart, but you can always celebrate his 70th on a very special day you both choose in the future, perhaps when the weather is warmer. I celebrated my 70th for ages till we went into lockdown.
I think you are so entitled to weep buckets.
Please keep posting how you and hubs are getting on and what the gastric surgeon says.
Sending you a load of virtual hugs and wish hubs a very happy 70th from me.

4 Likes

Isn’t she just! I can’t believe how much you are having to deal with @Summertime. I know you probably don’t feel strong and must be exhausted but oh my goodness, you are working through everything that’s being thrown at you. I am sending the biggest virtual hug that I can X

3 Likes

How horrendous for you. You deserve a change in your situation. Stay positive and strong. Keep believing and I’m sure you and your family will get through this Summertime loads of hugs and kisses to you xxxx

2 Likes

Thanks for your support. It’s day -3 today, I’m feeling fine, a bit off my food and sleepy due to a sedative but so far so good and now I’m here all the anxiety has gone!
Hope anyone in the same position is feeling well too x

4 Likes

Hope it goes well, @Suey. So glad the anxiety has gone now - that’s amazing. Best of luck. X

2 Likes

So glad that the anxiety has gone @Suey and you are on Day 3 now, a bit off your food and sleepy sounds natural if you are on a sedative.
Look after yourself and be kind to yourself.

1 Like

All sounds like it’s going in the right direction. Sending extra special wishes your way x

2 Likes

Hi, how are you doing @Summertime ? Sending big best wishes. X

4 Likes

Hope today goes well @suey - good luck

4 Likes

Hi @Summertime hope things are improving for you and they have found the cause of the bleed. Is there any chance of escaping hospital yet? Thinking if you :hugs::hugs:

4 Likes

Hi All
Well still here. Bloods and platelets have now decided to play up. They think it might be the cyclosporine so have taken me off that and trying new immunosuppressant

Still testing pos🤨 after 20 days so still on covid ward. No visitors.

I’m having blood and platelets today.

Good news I had bone marrow biopsy and no sign of ALL.

not sure how or why but the food on this ward is like home cooked and I am managing to eat well, plus scandishakes. My weight is not responding tho and I am 41 kilos.
Dietician is pushing for feeding tube .

Feeling very tired but i am ok…

Love to all xxx

8 Likes

Oh @Summertime I have been so worried about you.
I cannot believe that you are still testing positive 20 days on, you never do things by halves do you, apart from your struggle to put on weight.
At least the food is better on this ward.
Sorry you are not allowed visitors I know how much you miss your husband and your celebrations
Great news that your bone marrow biopsy showing no sign of ALL
How do you feel about the thought of having a feeding tube?
Hang in there and sending you loads of virtual hugs for those times when you just need one. xx

3 Likes

Really good to hear from you, albeit from hospital.
As @Erica said, really great news about the home marrow and great that the food is better this time around. I can imagine the feeding tube is a big decision. What are your thoughts about it.
Hope you’re managing to keep in contact by phone and video calls. It must be hard being away from each other.
I’m
Hoping you get to have one of your favourite cream cakes soon! X

3 Likes

@Summertime Hang on in there. You are doing so well even managing to talk to us. I feel sure that knowing we are all rooting for you must help. I am sure that all your husband wants is to see you moving forward bit by bit. Do not feel sad for his birthday you can plan a celebration for a warm sunny day soon. It will make a nice change for him to have a birthday in a different month and in the meantime he will stay a year younger!!
Big love to you. Jo

7 Likes

Hi @Summertime

Have been wondering how you are. Can’t believe you’re still there, and still testing positive for covid. Unbelievable. You deserve a medal for your patience.

Fantastic news though that you remain clear of the ALL - that’s the No.1 most important thing. Brilliant!

And great you’re eating. I hope the kgs start to rise soon.

A real nuisance about your blood counts, but perhaps it is unsurprising after all that your poor body had been through. Let’s hope that getting nourished and eventually recovering from covid - and the transfusions - help them to climb back up again soon.

And I like what @Grannajan says about your husband’s birthday - it’ll be a real treat for him to have his birthday on a different day. So boring to have it on the same day every year, year in, year out! You’re too good to him. ; )

Thanks for letting us know how you are - I’m sure everyone has been wondering. Wish we could do something more to help you, but I hope a big, virtual hug will suffice. Here it is: ( )

Love to you and your husband. X X

4 Likes

Hellooooo! :two_hearts::two_hearts: So glad you’ve posted and so very very happy that biopsy showing clear.
I’ve been worried and tried to text but not sure I have right number and changed phone providers.
Keep eating whatever you can, and drink the drinks, fingers crossed weight will start to climb back.
Honestly so pleased to hear from you xxxxx
(They may pop you on methotrexate- was on it for a while and blood count did gently climb) xxxx
Hugs love and stay in touch xxx

4 Likes

Hi @Summertime, relieved to hear from you and sounds like some well earned positive news in your post. Glad to hear that the bone marrow biopsy is all good and the food is better now. Hope some weight can go back on now without having to resort to the feeding tube. Covid must be on the backfoot soon and hopefully the bloods will settle with a bit of support. Take it easy and so pleased to see you post. Did they ever find the bleed or has that subsided? :hugs::hugs:x

4 Likes

Hi all
Just thought I would wish you a Happy Easter and update you on my progress.
It’s day 9 and I am feeling more myself despite a very sore mouth/tongue. The weekend was a bit tough with temperature spikes and rigors.
Hoping I am closer to going home than coming in!!

5 Likes

Hello there @Suey, thanks so much for updating us on your progress and for your Easter wishes. It sounds like you had a tough weekend but very typical for this stage of the transplant, I am really glad to hear you are feeling a little better now.
Please do ask the nurses for pain relief for your mouth as it will benefit you greatly if you can drink and eat small amounts. You sound liek you are moving in the right direction and itr won’t be long now until your new neutrophils come in and your mouth will improve at that point too. Take good care Gemma

2 Likes