Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

Hi @Ashob

So sorry your mouth is so sore, and you’ve not been feeling great. I remember that place very well. It does pass. Sleep as much as you can is all I can advise. Oh, and tell the staff about every uncomfortable thing - there’s a solution for most issues (except the slippy, uncomfortable beds!)
You’ve hit the worst part now, I should think. Fingers crossed you’ll be very much on the up quite soon.
Thinking of you. X

4 Likes

A sore mouth can be so awful. Hoping they can give you something to help. I’m glad you are starting to feel a little better each day. Please take care :blush:

2 Likes

Hello @Ashob, how are you doing today? The mucositis/sore mouth will improve once the neutrophils are present and increasing. Hoping that you are managing to drink and eat a little too? Take care Gemma

3 Likes

I can remember exactly how it felt @Ashob . For days I ate nothing but jelly and ice cream because they were the only things that didn’t hurt swallowing. I did eventually get back to more solid food and recovered very quickly once my recovery started. Good to have a distraction like a book or the TV. Wimbledon was on when I had mine so that was me sorted for two weeks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello all

It’s now 19 months since my stem cell transplant for Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, and after a few little hiccups - shingles, C.diff, the Epstein Barr virus - I’m feeling really fantastic and in fact better than my old self. Have just had a great holiday in the sun (well, my family were in the sun, but I was smothered in Factor 50 and under a parasol the whole time!) and I somehow miraculously didn’t catch covid on the plane either.

And I have some news: I’ve just been offered a new job as a Recovery worker at a drug and alcohol addiction charity. Am very excited about the interesting challenges ahead, and my return to a normal, beautifully mundane working life. And I’m especially pleased to have the opportunity to help other people feel optimistic and supported during their dark times, as I have been supported by countless good souls during mine.

I won’t have as much time to look in here, but I will occasionally, I’m sure. But I’d just like to say thank you to you all for your companionship, empathy, support and laughs, even. I haven’t explicitly sought advice, but being amongst you all has supported me tremendously in its own way, and I’ve valued that. You’re a good and compassionate lot.

Bye for now.

All the very best of health to you all.

Fullofbeans. X X

8 Likes

Good luck with the new job!!!
Sounds like a fabulous opportunity.
Debbie x

2 Likes

Thank you, @Debbie36! And wishing you and your husband a smooth ride from here on in. Everything crossed the worst is behind you both. X

1 Like

Oh @Fullofbeans that is brilliant news about your new job.
I found working in a stressful job was very tiring and fatiguing, especially when I was still trying to find my feet, so please look after yourself as well as you look after others.
You will be brilliant and don’t forget all you can do is a good job yourself, you cannot be responsible for how others behave.
We are always here for you, please don’t be a stranger.

1 Like

That’s such brilliant news! A great post to read! :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, @Erica and @Nichola75. Yes, I’m a little worried about fatigue. I’ve been incredibly physically active since I’ve been able, but I suspect it will be mental fatigue - if anything - that’s a problem for me. I’ll probably get home every day for the first six months and want to rinse out my head. :woozy_face: But I don’t feel stress like I used to - having faced possible death, other things don’t stress me so much now. So that’s one positive that comes from a nasty brush with cancer… And I feel very inclined to get back to work; to resume some normal, healthy routines, and to do something useful with this life I’ve been gifted. Another positive. But I will definitely be putting my feet up in the evenings and at the weekends. And at the slightest sign of health woes, I will review the situation. Health lessons have definitely been learned!

You both take care of yourselves too.

Love to you both. :kissing_heart: X X

5 Likes

Thats all so wonderful to read @Fullofbeans. I am thrilled for you and wish you all the luck in the world onwards and upwards now xxx

3 Likes

Hi @Suey I have been thinking of you, how are you doing?

1 Like

Hi
I’m doing well thanks, now on fortnightly bloods (much to the relief of my veins!). Managed to go away for a few days last week in our old motorhome which was lovely, stayed within 2 hours of hospital just in case!
I’m emotionally a bit up and down, I think it’s only just sinking in what has happened to me this last year. Thanks for checking up on me.

2 Likes

Sometimes, the enormity of what has happened just hits home. Remember the support line is there if you need it, and is when you need to offload. I’m glad the hospital visits are two weekly now. Where did you go in your motor home and have you got any more visits planned?

1 Like

Hi
We live near Dumfries (moved here after early retirement April 21 to enjoy life, I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia in July 21! ) so travelled through the Borders to the East coast, North Berwick was especially nice. We haven’t been to the Kelpies yet so think that may be the next trip.
I will call the helpline if things get too much.
Sue

2 Likes

I hope you manage to get another trip in whilst the sun is still shining X

1 Like

Hi @Suey Fortnightly bloods sounds a real relief not only to your veins but also to you I expect.
Your motorhome sounds such a lovely bolt hole to me and it can just take you anywhere you wish.
Yes, I think when you are going through things the coping head comes on then the whole emotional roller coaster hits later.
As @Nichola75 says the support line is always there for you and so are we.
Take care and enjoy your tried and tested motorhome.

2 Likes

Hiya just a quick question got my Picc line inserted today and there’s a bit of bleeding at the site is this normal?
Monique

2 Likes

I cannot answer your question but I will copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurses for tomorrow. @LauranBloodCancerUK @gemmabloodcanceruk @Heidi_BloodCancerUK
In the meantime you could ring your haematology ward tonight and ask.
Please let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

Thank you Erica. I will give them a call.

1 Like