Coping when your child has blood cancer

Being told your child has blood cancer can be one of the most terrifying moments of your life. Connecting with others who have been through something similar can be absolutely invaluable, so please share your story here.

2 Likes

Hello, my son Hugo was diagnosed with ALL in July 2015, aged 2. Thankfully he finished treatment in September last year and we are slowly starting to come out the other side. It’s such an incredibly difficult time for the whole family and sadly one that only people in the same situation can understand. These children are amazing though and so much tougher than they look. I would be so pleased to help anyone who has any questions or wants to share their experience. It can be very lonely and even when treatment is finished, it’s never really over. It would be lovely to support each other. Lisa x

3 Likes

I was so happy to see that your son has had successful treatment for his blood cancer

3 Likes

Thanks @Alfie It still feels like quite a scary time, but we are all trying to focus on the positives and are very aware how lucky we are.

2 Likes

I imagine there are residual effects left over from such a traumatic experience.

3 Likes

My son was just past his 2nd birthday when he was diagnosed with ALL last year (2019), it was two weeks before Christmas @MrsGriff

1 Like

Hi @MrsAJO so sorry to hear about your son. My son Hugo had also not long turned 2 when he was diagnosed. It’s difficult because they don’t understand, but sometimes that can be a blessing too. I imagine treatment through Covid has been challenging and extra scary. How is he doing? Are you nearly at the maintenance stage? If you have any questions, or just want to chat, I’m here. If it helps to know, Hugo is now a well and happy 7 year old. The length of treatment, believe it or not, goes quicker than you think. Sending best wishes Lisa xxx

2 Likes