Does anyone else have the P53 Mutation or had a Cord blood transplant?

Hi everyone, sadly my transplant failed to graft. I am devastated and beyond belief! I expected it to graft and trusted the process…plus I still have loads of ‘blasts’ in my marrow…just hoping there is something else ahead for me that might help…feeling utterly beyond despair, especially for my 2 beautiful young boys…so unfair and so cruel…

3 Likes

Oh @Corrina what a bu**er, you must be absolutely gutted and so scary for you, your emotions and thoughts must be all over the place.
Yes, life is cruel and unfair.
Please keep posting on here and let us know what your medical team say.
We are here as your forum family and the Blood Cancer UK support line is also here for you.
Be kind and spoil yourself.

3 Likes

Good morning @Corrina. That must have been really hard and scary news to hear. I can imagine how devastated you must be.
I assume you have a consultant appointment soon? Are your boys aware of what’s going on? I always found the conversations and thoughts of my children the hardest part X

3 Likes

Hello @Corrina

I’ve just read what you’ve been going through, and I’m so, so sorry your graft hasn’t worked.

I had Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (Aug '20) and I am a mum of a teenage boy, and I understand the absolute terror and sadness regarding your sons. But your team will do their utmost to get you well. If I were you, I’d ask for examples of success in such circumstances, to reassure yourself. I’ve read of people whose grafts have initially failed to take. Grafts do sometimes fail, and then the next can succeed. I’m sure your team will be discussing options with you asap.

If you think it might help you, I can point you to some self-hypnosis/guided meditations that really helped me control the terror and despair I felt.

I’ll be thinking of you very especially, Corrina, because of your boys.

With love Xx

2 Likes

Hi Nicola, yes the boys know…I have arranged family counselling support through the hospital…hoping it will help us navigate all the uncerrtainty.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story and support. Always good to hear from others who understand…I try meditation and listening to music to relax and reduce panic attacks. Thank you…stay well xx

2 Likes

If you want to, let us know what your next steps are, @Corrina. And if you need an ear, you’re welcome to message me. It can be difficult to talk to friends who have no idea what you’re really going through, or what you’re referring to medically. I can listen, if that would help.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, will keep you posted and appreciate the kind and knowing support you are offering.

2 Likes

I think that’s great x

1 Like

Hi everyone! Well turns out the Lab was comparing my DNA to my Sister’s (from the aborted transplant back in 2019) instead of comparing it to the double cords and there is a fragile graft of 29%, which I am told is ‘something we can work with’ as they have started reducing my anti rejection meds hoping this will improve the graft. So the hypercoaster keeps going and I hold onto any hope I am given… We still have the problem of the blasts in my marrow although they are not causing too much of a problem at the moment, besides low counts. I still need weekly transfusions to stay upright but now back to willing the graft to fight on for me! Houston we have lift off! (the cells were from a baby in Houston)… will keep you all posted and thanks for listening xx

3 Likes

Oh my goodness, that’s really incredible and hopeful news, @Corrina- I’m so relieved for you. Such a shame they made this awful mistake though - you must have gone through h e l l mentally. That was always the worst part of everything for me - the terrible emotional pain you go through.

Wonderful the cells are from a Houston baby’s cord and that you do indeed have lift off! Nearly a third of the way - that’s really good. I used to picture my donor stem cells engrafting, and producing lots of healthy blood cells, and I’d tell my body and my new cells to get along nicely, with no fighting. Not sure if that contributed to anything, but it gave me something to do, ha ha.

Really, really pleased you’ve had a couple of bits of good news, and you’re on track again. That phrase, ‘We can work with that,’ must have been the best thing you’ve ever heard.

Huge virtual hug. X

3 Likes

We are all willing it to fight for you to! X

3 Likes

Well @Corrina , Houston you really do have lift off and it is really miraculous that you can have cells from a baby’s cord in Houston.
‘We can work with that’ sounds good to me.
Look after yourself and please keep posting what is going on for you

2 Likes

Hi Corrina, my thoughts have been with you a lot recently and what a roller-coaster you have been on! Hopefully this latest news makes all the difference and you now go from strength to strength. Im truly praying for you. Sending all my positive energy your way, best wishes always Nick x

4 Likes