Have the extremely vulnerable group been forgotten?

Hello all, I was just reading this blog which I think some of you might be interested to read as it resonates with some of the thoughts and feelings in this thread - Britain’s Preparing For A Second Wave. But Shielders Like Me Are Being Left Behind

1 Like

Hello Nichola, I work as a Warehouse Assistant, so basically manual labour all day lugging things around. My employer has been very supportive thus far as I am only working 3 days a week and 2 furlough to ease back into it.

This changes next week however as I must do 5 days a week now. My concern at the moment is just how phyiscally exhausted I am. I took up cycling to commute which is 15mile total each shift, and even with just 3 days, I’m beat.

My consultant basically just said to take precautions and get on with things. Not sure how I feel going into winter, I’m already feeling run down these days physically and mentally.

1 Like

Hi @Steve1, I feel for you, yes, your days work must be exhausting for you and a very common blood cancer side effect is fatigue.
Your employer sounds reasonable and approachable it might be worth asking if they could suggest anything that might help you.
I found arriving a bit early and leaving a bit later just helped me so that I just broke my days exertions into more bits with rests in between.
Please be kind to yourself as fatigue is debilitating and treat yourself in the evenings and weekends.
My fatigue also comes on when I have overdone it emotionally, physically or practically.
Yes, we missed the summer to get any goodness back into ourselves, I call it topping up my batteries, Take care.

Hi @Steve1. It really does take its toll doesn’t it, both physically and mentally! Did the treatment you have affect your energy levels or is it just getting back into things. For me it’s just the toll of living with blood cancer sometimes that exhausts me, I know it’s the same for many blood cancer patients. Your work sound like they have helped a lot - I hope they continue to do so. Let us know how you go next week :blush:

1 Like

For me I think it’s a combination of factors, but mostly just the 6 months of no exercise plus the new cycling routine and some stress/depression thrown in. My cancer has been in remission for around 2 years so I dont feel its that. My work also gets progressively busier in the run up to winter, so I really don’t know how I’m going to manage given I’m absolutely knackered now. This is the type of tired that I can’t even be bother to eat my dinner sometimes or even speak to people at home. Cant quit the job either as we need the money as no chance of finding another in these times.

My plan is to eat as much calorific and nutritious foods and just get as much sleep as I can… :man_shrugging:

Edit: I also can’t get into work any earlier than 10 mins before shift to avoid contact with others.

2 Likes

Hi again @Steve1. I hate that kind of tiredness.Do you manage to sleep ok? I started a thread on this a while ago and have tried lots of things but it’s still a struggle.
I completely get the impact on your mental health over the last few months. I’m up and down all off the time! It does frustrate me how we are just expected to go back to normal. I hate going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark and really look forward to springtime.
Your plan sounds like a good one - just make sure you look after yourself and don’t burn out. As much as I hate taking time off work and feel guilty I try and remember sometimes I really need it.
I also try and plan in something to look forward to as well. Might be something really simple but otherwise I feel like all I do is work and sleep. Please let us know how you get on next week when you return full time.

1 Like

Anyone else feel that we have been forgotten in this second way of Covid? I am in the North West, and we have the highest cases per 100.000 and still nothing is said about shielding… it is lovely idea that we use our own common sense to keep us safe, but my experience is that no matter what I do (not even the blood cancer ‘I am shielding’ badge) other people do not care. I am so ready to shield again…

2 Likes

Hi @MoMo, it must be so difficult and confusing for you all in the North of England.
Personally I think do what you feel comfortable with, your health and mental health are the most important things.
I am listening to the medical experts, my medical team and Blood Cancer UK and then decide what I am comfortable with.
I go out masked up for a walk early in the morning and I distance from others.
I get my shopping delivered.
I ended up getting some birthday cards from Amazon and they are really nice.
Please keep sharing how it is for you and take care.

2 Likes

Hi MoMo, I agree with you. I think that the shielding group felt that, at some point, we would be asked to shield again and it hasn’t happened…yet. It is hard to quantify our risks,too, with so many sources of information. I was told at the hospital to avoid getting COVID at all costs so I time my walks as best as I can avoiding schools comings and goings etc. On Sunday morning after an exceedingly wet Saturday I turned back home as my usual walk was like the prom at Blackpool illuminations!!! Very few people appear to social distance and take the stance that as my husband and I have moved they don’t need to so barely achieve the 1m distance. I reassure myself that it’s not a huge exposure and it’s outside and tends not to be face to face as I turn my head away. However, this means that I have not ventured to anywhere near a normal life even in these extraordinary times. That, unfortunately, appears a long long way off. We have to continue to take care of ourselves and through this forum assure ourselves that we are not alone and that others are thinking and behaving with caution.
I live in area with climbing numbers and surrounded by lockdown areas, also in the north. All my immediate family are in restricted areas so I fully sympathise with how vulnerable you are feeling.

3 Likes

Hi Erica, I personally feel that advices locally and nationally are clear. But I feel that those who were deemed extremely vulnerable last time around, are now left to figure out themselves what to do to keep safe. I wear face mask every time I am out and about, which has worsened my asthma. I limit my face-to-face contacts at work as much as I can, but unfortunately cannot avoid all of them, so I have picked up a nasty cold too. My medical team is unfortunately useless. I don’t have any support from them. I truly wonder how long do we have to wait some national guidance… even if it means localised shielding, it’s better than nothing. Okay, rant over. Now I’m going to enjoy lazy extra day off :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Lababe, yes that’s what was said about shielding but nothing, not even areas where cases have rocketed up like crazy. And that’s so disappointing! I managed to avoid school times until last Friday when I left my work place in the afternoon, exactly at the same time as the local secondary finished and I needed to navigate through hundreds of youngsters shouting and running round. - I ended up walking on the road…
All we can do but reassure ourselves that outside the exposure isn’t as bad as inside, but I have had situation where on person just came on my face to whisper something outside. Social distancing seems to be really difficult to grasp… I hope you are able to enjoy less busy morning walks now on! We need to feel like everyone else, some normality in our lives :unamused:

1 Like

I’m so sorry you’re still having difficulties with your medical team, it sounds so frustrating. You might find it helpful to watch the Q&A on this (and if you have any questions for the panel you can ask them here - Ask the Experts: Effective Communication with your Treatment Team or send me a private message if you’d prefer.
Really hope your cold clears up soon!

4 Likes

It seems that they may be addressing the situation on Monday with the typical leaks from the press now. Since quite a lot of us have barely left shielding I wonder whether it will have the required result. However, we are, once again being linked to the older people and care homes! It will at least reassure us that our reluctance to join society in full is justified. We can only hope that they support those shielding and in work adequately, to enable them to remain safe and feel safe.

3 Likes

Hi @Lababe, we will await the announcement but as you say it won’t be anything different from what we have been doing !!!

Indeed we are waiting some announcement on Monday. But I am very doubtful that there’s anything about shielding. For those of us who are working, it is hugely important that we have some kind of national support whether from the government or the NHS. Every time that I have to leave the house to go to my physical work place I am worried. How can we demand anything unless we are recognised again as a group who needs to be protected, even if it is very localised and only including those receiving treatments atm…

1 Like

Hi @MoMo, we all seem to have so many unanswered questions, I like know what’s what.

Yes the rumours are rife now. But i think the vulnerable will only be asked to go back to shielding in the high incidence areas like the north west and east. Whilst the virus is on the rise in the south now, it hasn’t reached the kind of crazy levels it’s at further north so I think it will be business as usual in London for now at least.
@Steve1 sounds like you’re having a rough time. Be kind to yourself. None of this is your fault.

1 Like

Yep numbers are rife now, its surely only a matter of time before shielding resumes in some capacity. I am coping ok this week, very tired but getting through it. Constantly telling people off at work for being too close to others and shouting too loud. Just had a confirmed covid case come back to work. To top things off there is a covid sceptic in my work too. Crazy times.

1 Like

As I feared, there seems to be nothing about shielding in these new plans :unamused:

1 Like

Hi @Steve1, it sounds scary times for you at work it must be emotionally, physically and practically draining. We are always here for you and you can always speak to someone on the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Take care and look after yourself, your safety and welfare are the most important thing.