Petition to ask for funding of Evusheld

Hi Alice as others have shared the link to my source for the cancelled pre-order quote I won’t. But a quote from the company proves that NO NEGPOTIATIONS have even started yet. The UK government is still refusing to fund Evusheld in a timely manner. The company hit back at the idea that commercial sensitivity stops them talking about why they are not keeping people like me safe with this drug. Includes a link to my petition which is almost half way to the 10,000 signature target. [https://bloodcanceruncensored.com/astra-zeneca-blasts-uk-governments-commercially-sensitive-evusheld-excuses-as-1-in-13-brits-have-covid19/](The row over the UK government refusing to fund Evusheld in a timely manner has taken another turn with the company hitting back at the idea that commericall sensitivity stops them talking about why they are not keeping people like me safe with this drug. Includes a link to our petition which is almost half way to the 10,000 signature target. https://bloodcanceruncensored.com/astra-zeneca-blasts-uk-governments-commercially-sensitive-evusheld-excuses-as-1-in-13-brits-have-covid19/)

5 Likes

Totally agree. In the US Evusheld costs around $1000 per person, so maybe the U.K. could negotiate it to be £500 or so per person for the NHS. So yes much higher than the cost of a vaccine but weighed up against the cost of treating us for Covid, and the amount we’d be spending if able to more fully engage back in the economy, I think it would net out. We shall see what happens ….

4 Likes

Hi Adrian, what a great link some much information there. Thank you for posting :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Interesting article in i news.co.uk today .Astra Zeneca are criticising the gov for not ordering Evusheld .

2 Likes

Here is the link, it includes a quote from me and a link to the petition which has now passed 5000 signatures. If you want to back a winner now is the time to get on board. Its my birthday today so it was great to see this article this morning https://inews.co.uk/news/health/astrazeneca-criticises-government-delays-buying-game-changing-covid-drug-evusheld-cancer-patients-1556326

6 Likes

Thankyou Adrian for posting the link . My computer skills are rubbish !

1 Like

Happy birthday, @Adrian! And thank you for promoting this petition.

1 Like

Happy Birthday :birthday: Adrian, thank you for posting the link more interesting information.

1 Like

I’ve had marginal zone lymphoma for 14 years! treated with rituximab 11 years ago, then I had Hodgkins, which was successfully treated, and then the non-Hodgkins recurred a couple of years ago. I had another course of rituximab. So have been shielding and feeling all the frustrations around lack of antibody response to the vaccine (I have measured mine using a private test) and lack of information from the NHS in recent times.

1 Like

Thankyou @Adrian and @Alice_BloodCancerUK for the information and campaigning on our behalf. It’s so sad that a UK company can develop this amazing product but we have a Government that prevaricates over the purchase of life saving Evusheld, whilst supplies dwindle and any covid safeguards are removed. My son works in a shop and was asked why he was still wearing a mask and laughed at on a bus for doing the same :triumph: The ostritch method is clearly working for some of the population but I doubt the 1109 people that died in the last seven days and their families would agree.

Considering we are living with covid, everyone has the “due to covid causing staff shortages etc…” phone message which has now become the UK norm. for businesses and health provision. Covid in 1 in 13 people is pretty horrific to our community and genuine people being denied antibodies is a scandal. The Immunocompromised population have become 2nd class citizens and it would appear sadly expendable. Many of us had to fight with our gp surgeries for our families and ourselves to have the repeated covid vaccines we were entitled to over the last year despite having excellent care from our hospitals during stem cell transplants.

Of course the Government has to ensure that there’s enough money to finance MPs second properties, parties and their recent payrise…cold comfort for our community. Rant over but I feel better for it! :rage:

5 Likes

Please sign and share with family, friends and MPs.

1 Like

Firstly a further big thanks to Adrian who’s petition I found yesterday after a prompt from CaroleCW.

I started a thread on gov policy but have found my way here as it seems a few of us at least share the same lines of thought. Although I suspect they are also shared by the many thousands more of us, who’s lives are on hold.

Although I hope my efforts yesterday boosted the signature count it was 7857 last time I looked, it concerns me not enough of us know of the Petitions existence. My friends family neighbours all offered unanimous support and agreed to pass it on to everyone they could. The public are blissfully unaware of our situation or indeed the intransigence of the Government to offer any help and need to know!

The numbers of people effected by the potential use of Evusheld is huge and their contact web even larger. Is there a way to scale this up so the petition not only gets past 10000 but goes on to be debated in Parliament with over 100,OOO signatures.

I suggested on other thread that Blood Cancer uk web page could have a direct link maybe in news item . Purdy1966 very helpfully is going to suggest something to Digital support officer BC. UK.

I have written to Lymphoma action letting them know of this Petition. Not heard back yet. I also wrote to BBC news.

Surely if all the big charities supported this petition we’d be home and dry, I do however understand what Alice posted. However the Government appear to be doing nothing and a debate in Parliament would serve to get their questions answered in a more timely manner.

I am not on twitter Facebook or Instagram but the existence of this Petition surely needs to be out there on these platforms as well as this small forum. I apologise if it’s existence already is but the numbers signed up suggest not.

1 Like

Petition now over 8,000 which is amazing :star_struck: but please keep sharing with family, friends and MPs.
Take care and stay safe.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for your support. The more of us who contact journalists charities (not just blood cancer) everyone in our phone books and also our social media then better. We really are on the closing straight with just a few hundred more signatures to get to 10K which requires the govt to answer our petition. Plesee be as annoying as I am with you about this wirh all your social media friends and even text your contacts to get this over the line! Fund Evusheld the preventative COVID19 antibody for immunocompromised - Petitions

3 Likes

Adrian,
I am so much in support for your efforts you would not believe it.
As far as a response from the Government is concerned looking at their response to Parliamentary questions the Government are so far not playing ball. They appear to be trying to duck the issue, hardly surprised other priorities like keeping Boris as their boss are clearly more important (I’d laugh but it ain’t funny).
We all have to work together to help ourselves we need to get our lives back.
I can live with cancer but not with ineptitude of this policy leaving us as spectators whilst the rest of society get on with their lives. “Living with COVID.” It’s a joke .
The more I discover about the inadequacy of policy to help our community the angrier I get, I’m not usually bothered. This however is not political it’s about our lives and our wellbeing we have to expect better. We appear to have to crawl through hoops to even get the much proclaimed solution to getting COVID. Why do we have to get an interview to get treatment if we get covid what is that about. Our Consultants know who we are and our respective risk! Surely we have enough to deal with from a medical perspective. I even discovered today they have lost list of who is eligible for emergency treatment.

Sincerely wish all well let’s get on this together.

5 Likes

Canadá approves use of Evusheld while the UK still ponders and already had pre ordered 100000 doses !

3 Likes

That is unbelievable now a drug made in the UK being used in other countries but not here​:frowning::thinking:!!!?

2 Likes

The Government want us to rely on treatment such as Sotrovimab see below in Usa.

1 Like

Davecpep latest reply on the Any news about authorisation of the preventative antibody treatment post is very well put.
(Don’t know how to link it to this).

1 Like

Posted originally by @davecpep
It does appear that a tougher threshold is being applied to prophylactic treatments than to vaccines. After all, clinical trials are ongoing with vaccines, for efficacy against new variants etc but they continue to be rolled out of course. Evusheld is effectively equivalent to a vaccine for those who are immunosupressed.

I imagine that in discussion of efficacy the psychological dimension is under- appreciated. Yes, there are effective treatments if you get covid, for which we should be extremely thankful; however, If there was an armed killer on the loose, would you rather have an electric fence round your property or be able to summon a SWAT team, but only when the killer was already in the garden … will they pick up? will they respond? will they be in time? Psychologically, the prophylactic “fence” wins every time.

2 Likes