Shielding and children returning to school

Hi @Nichola75, yes, I have learnt a lot about myself since my diagnosis in 2003 and I hope made a lot of changes through counselling and self insight.
I really wish I had known this knowledge when bringing up my son, although he turned out alright, despite me !!!

2 Likes

It definitely teachers you a lot about yourself doesn’t it. Sometimes it’s one of positives that can come out of a diagnosis. I’m sure you’re son is amazing and turned out in lots of ways, the person he is, because off you, not despite you X

2 Likes

Hi @judesadventures, @AnneJ, @Jane and @Firefly and I was just wondering how things had been since the children had returned to school?

2 Likes

Hi, thanks so much for your replies and for checking in. Sorry for not replying till now, the back to school rush took over for a bit… yes my sons went back to school! I eventually got a hold of my consultant who was extremely helpful and said I should send them back to school. A massive relief because they are now so happy. Such a relief to have happy children again, all of their anxiety has disappeared now that they are back in their normal routines and with their friends. Phew! However… along with the relief, I am a little anxious myself now as our little family shielding bubble is burst and I’m not in control of the situation anymore, of course there are risks of covid coming into the house with the boys at school and my husband is also back at work. Watching covid numbers rising and other people living their lives as normal with no distancing or masks etc doesn’t help. I’ve found other parents (who are aware of my leukaemia) don’t seem to realise quite how far away 2 metres is…! They don’t mean it but it stresses me out so I’m staying in the car and still shielding myself. But having happy kids is number one isn’t it! So happy that they are happy. Thanks for your support. Hope everyone is coping ok.

3 Likes

Hi @Firefly, yes, it really does help having happy children doesn’t it, but it must be scary having your safe bubble burst and seeing others doing their own thing without a care in the world, as the saying goes. As you say all you can do is make sure you do all you can to stay safe. Please keep sharing your anxieties on our supportive forum, you are certainly not the only one with similar thoughts and feelings and if you need to talk you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
Please let us know how things progress and take care.

1 Like

Oh I hate being out of control, but like you it makes such a difference to see the children happy and with a little less anxiety! Really good to hear from you X

3 Likes

Thank you so much Erica, having your support is so helpful and means a lot.

1 Like

Thank you so much Nichola x

1 Like

Hi @judesadventures. I was just wondering how things were going?

1 Like

Hi Nicola.

Thanks for checking in on me and sorry for not replying. I agree with what @firefly has said. It’s a really anxious time, but my son is so much happier being back at school. We’re being super careful at home, but its a fine balance between being careful and scaring him.

Thanks for everyone’s support and hope you all keep safe and well.

3 Likes

I’m 9 months into remission from Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I am a single mum of a 12 year old who has been in school but now things are getting worse I’m seriously considering teaching her from home. I just feel so anxious that if she contracts the virus it will kill me. I also don’t want her to fall behind on school. I’m so confused and scared.

1 Like

Hi @Shellykennyc I completely understand where you are coming from, especially after
tonights speech from Boris. I feel exactly the same as you but will still be sending my two daughters to school (11/15) I asked my consultant and he advised to send them and have another app in November and will ask again. I am terrified though, I work in a school as well so double whammy. Tonight I have felt that panicky feeling return and I hate it. Are you able to discuss this with your team? I wondered if they may be able to give you some advice? Please take care. I know it’s not easy to say the least and know just how anxious you must be feeling. Sending lots of love X

1 Like

I can only imagine how people in this position must feel. It’s a difficult decision for you and your family. I hope you’re able to find a way that suits you all in the light of last night’s announcement.

2 Likes

Good morning all. I just wondered how everybody was doing. It’s been a while now since children have been back at school and I was interested to hear what your experiences have been? Both mine have had a couple of weeks off now due to being a close contact. Thats been worrying for them both, and me, both in terms of the possibility of them developing symptoms and our anxieties around that, and keeping their spirits up regarding home learning and missing their friends. I think as time on they are getting more used to it but it never gets easier listening to them talk about their worries. What’s it been like for you all?

2 Likes

I’m just glad the holidays are coming as my nerves can’t take school much longer! J hasn’t been off at all thankfully but I have no confidence in the hygiene practices at school - I’m ever so proud of how he has managed tho. I’m hoping that the worst might be behind us (our local area in Scotland is moving down from the highest tier to third highest on Fri) but N and I aren’t out at all still. Crazy days still. Take care Nichola

1 Like

Lovely to hear from you @judesadventures - I’m with you on that, roll on the holidays! I’m so glad that you are moving down tiers. Definitely a step in the right direction. I do find it amazing - like you - how well the children manage. My youngest is so conscious about hygiene and your son sounds like a very clued up young man as well. It’s a shame your sons school isn’t! You take care too X

1 Like