Shielding over?

Dear Alice,
I should have said I go outside once a day, my error
Anthony

1 Like

Thank you for asking this question Anthony. I have not ventured out yet, but was looking at masks last night and was thoroughly confused as to which would be best to get. If there are people who could advise it would be a real helpā€¦Filters, or not? I also saw some a while back which had a see-through section which I would find useful, made in Scotland as I recall. Have a good weekend all

1 Like

Hi Antony, I am also confused about the grade of face mask we are advised to wear and the consistency of advice. I am going for sensible face coverings/masks, but not surgical grade and avoid other people whenever possible I have not ventured out yet as I live in a town.

Dear Louise,
Iā€™m thoroughly confused about type of masks to be used as you are too.
I telephoned Macmillans for guidance and had a call back from Blood Cancer this morning.

Nobody seems absolutely sure.
NHS guidelines tell you to wear face coverings and how to make your own.
I bought some online from a company called UK Meds that were rubbish, made in China!! One ear loop fell off after 5 minutes.
Iā€™ve lost out on those as the company has a no returns policy??
Macmillans sent me a link to Which that lists reusable ones some of which are expensive, some not.
They also told me to beware of unknown online companies deals
All of them advise that they are not surgical masks and offer no protection against Covid-19.
But Boots sell surgical masks Ā£30 for 50 but they donā€™t protect against it either, not really any better than a reusable non surgical mask.
Iā€™ll wear my reusable mask when I go for my pre chemo blood test, if itā€™s not suitable they will have to provide something that is.
Best wishes
Anthony

2 Likes

Hi Anthony, apologies I left the ā€˜hā€™ out of your name before, itā€™s no excuse but my son is called Tony. I like your cunning plan, you are right if your mask is not suitable when you get to the hospital I am sure they will give you something that is. Please let us know your experience. The important thing is to stay safe.

Thank you Louise,
Iā€™ll be sure to let you know.
I read the NHS and the Royal College Of Nursing are up in arms about the announcement, not because itā€™s a good idea but they were not given any advance warning or time to get supplies to equip all staff.
Best wishes
Anthony

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We hope you are all doing okay,

Itā€™s understandably a worrying time for many people, we are encouraging people to visit the government website for the most updated guidance here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-safe-outside-your-home/staying-safe-outside-your-home. You will find further information regarding this under the section ā€œface coveringsā€, as you will see, from June 15th, it will be compulsory to wear a face covering whilst travelling on public transport. You are also encouraged to wear a face covering in any other enclosed space in public where social distancing might be difficult.

Face coverings can help us protect each other and reduce the spread of the disease if you are suffering from coronavirus but not showing symptoms. People with coronavirus symptoms, as well as members of their household, should continue to follow the advice to self-isolate.

Itā€™s important to be aware that face coverings are not a replacement for social distancing and regular handwashing which remain the most important actions. The public are also urged not to buy medical grade masks so they can be saved for frontline health and care workers, and instead make their own face coverings at home. You can find out how to wear and make your own face coverings here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering.

As always, Blood cancer UK are continuously monitoring the situation and will update our information if any advice relating to this were to change, https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/coronavirus-covid-19/.

Take care in the meantime everyone, and remember, we are only ever a call or email away. Just as a reminder, our support line can be reached on 0808 2080 888 Monday-Friday 10am-7pm and on weekends between 10am-1pm or you can also reach us via support@bloodcancer.org.uk.

Very best wishes from us all,

2 Likes

Thanks @SuBloodcancerUK, the information you have given us and the links are really helpful. It is also so comforting to know that you are only a call or email away. Thanks for being there for us.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.
I have Multiple Myeloma, post Autologous stem cell transplant ( my own cells) of 19 months and in partial remission.
I too, like everyone here, has been shielding for 12 weeks now, I was very shocked to wake up on the morning of Sunday 31at May, to hear that the ā€™ shielded ā€™ could now go out from 1st June and meet one other person from another household, maintain social distancing rules.
At first, I felt over joyed, as I live alone and was already wondering how much longer could I do this for! . Then, I thought, hang on, how did the Government get to this without advice, without giving any evidence that it was safe and based on science.
So my feelings were very mixed up, elated and fearful all in one.
So, I spoke to my consultant, who advised, to go out, once per day, take all necessary precautions and adhere to social distancing rules if meeting ā€™ that one personā€™. No kissing and huggingšŸ˜‚
I weighed all this up and decided to take my consultants advice.
I thought, well this virus is not going any where anytime soon, so, we have to learn to live along side it. I felt that my mental health now fairs better knowing I can go out if I want to, toā€¦and notā€¦I canā€™t go out!.
My strategy is ā€¦
I go out when I want to, but not over doing it!
I have chosen three trusted and good friends that I can confidently say they would let me know if they felt unwellā€¦and where they have been prior to me wanting to meet them. This also applies to my children.
I do now go out occassionally, I do not intend to go shopping, go to crowded places.
My mental health has now greatly improved!.

5 Likes

Hi Cazzie. Iā€™m in a very similar situation to you re stage of treatment. It looks like youā€™ve found the way forward that works for you and itā€™s great that you got that validated by your consultant. I too decided that I needed to have my one time out a day for sanity reasons. I havenā€™t been out every day and most times I go out itā€™s not for long and not to crowded places. Iā€™m sure somewhere down the line weā€™ll look back on this think it was all weird :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Cazzie itā€™s really good to hear that you talked this through with your consultant and got some tailored advice and managed to come up with a plan that suits you :slight_smile: Iā€™m really glad to hear that you feel your mental health has greatly improved!

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply Franko. Yeah, I guess I feel this is the way forward for me. Everybody will find their own way through. I wish you the best in your journey.

2 Likes

Thanx for your reply Alice.
Yeah, I have worked out a plan I feel comfortable with. Iā€™m sure each and everyone will find their own individual plans. :wink:

4 Likes

Reply from my MP on shielding. It seems that you can continue to receive funds as per furlough, but if your employer doesnā€™t agree, itā€™s up to you to chase via Citizens adviceā€¦ which in my opinion is pretty poor. I went to citizens advice in past with a query about employment law. What I got from my visit was the impression that everything is very much stacked up in favour of ā€¦ yes you guessed itā€¦ the employer.

Thank you for contacting me about support for those shielding during Covid-19.

It is crucial that those at most risk in our society, including those who are battling blood cancer, are protected in order to safeguard their own health and prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. I am also greatly saddened to hear of financial difficulties at this time. No one following Government instruction, should be penalised for their efforts.

I am aware that the advice indicates that employees, unable to work because they are shielding in line with public health guidance, could be placed on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, such that their employer could claim a grant that covers 80 per cent of an their usual monthly wage, up to Ā£2,500 a month. I urge anyone on furlough to contact their employer to alert them to the fact that they are shielding in line with public health and Government guidance and therefore continue to be eligible for the scheme. If an employer is not supporting someone who is shielding, then the employee has the right to seek legal advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau or Acas.

I welcome Government guidance that indicates that, from 4 July, clinically vulnerable people can now meet people both outdoors and indoors, while remaining vigilant about hygiene. Those classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, who have been advised to shield, are now able to form support bubbles, and spend time outdoors in a group of up to 6 people; from 1 August, advice for clinically extremely vulnerable people will move in line with advice to those who are clinically vulnerable. While these steps are being taken as long as the incidence rate in the community remains low, they will be most welcome for individuals who have been shielding since March.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Richard Fuller MP

Member of Parliament for North East Bedfordshire

3 Likes

I have been going out for a daily walk for a few weeks now and feel so much betterā€¦ you do have to pick the right time as a lot of people are not social distancing. Iā€™m wondering if anyone knows what to do from the 1st Augustā€¦ will you be able to have family in the house and is it safe to hug our grandchildren? I have found it so confusing.

3 Likes

You and me both. There have been so many changes for everyone else whilst weā€™ve been confined and then allowed out and to see up to 6 people socially distanced, that it is not clear what the guidance is that we will be free to join. Especially witnessing the complete disregard for the virus anyway. Social distancing is achieved by you moving etc etc. Also, what about a bubble? I really feel this all needs addressing during the coming days. I just take on board that the virus hasnā€™t gone anywhere and we need to assess our own risks if were given the correct information, however, it would be lovely to know what the general population is actually allowed to do so we can at least understand what should be happening and what we may feel we can do on an individual basis.

3 Likes

Welcome to our community, and I am pleased you are able to get out and about, and feel better for it. Many people are shielding, not only blood cancer patients, and each case is different. Ultimately we need to weigh up the evidence and advice from our health professionals, and then make that decision, trying not to do things which we know are going to harm us (going into crowded areas or huge parties) but still keeping connected to those we love. Best wishes

1 Like

Hi @Pippi (welcome to the forum!) and @Lababe, I hope youā€™re both doing okay?
Itā€™s totally understandable youā€™re feeling confused. Just to let you know that our information team are currently in the middle of updating our web-pages around what the general guidance will be from 1st August onwards - I can share these on the forum when theyā€™re done and published.

Thereā€™s some information on the government page here about outlining the guidance for the general population currently for people in in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As youā€™ll all know though, everyone is individual and so if you have any questions or concerns at all, talking things through with your clinical teams is so important in making sure youā€™re getting the best guidance and advice for your own individual circumstances.

How are you all doing this week?

1 Like

Hi @pippi, a great big welcome to our forum, yes, isnā€™t it confusing, I think most of us are thinking that. I have found wearing a mask means that people avoid me more, perhaps I just look so scary. Personally I am going on the medical experts, Blood Cancer UK and my medical teams advice as to what is best for me. I have just started to go out for a daily walk and yes, the fresh air is lovely. I am still socially distancing from everyone. You are right I really miss hugs. We are here to support you and you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you need to talk. We look forward to hearing more about you, take care.

1 Like

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your very thoughtful replies. As new information will be published soon I think I will wait and see what is advised and then maybe it will become clearer to decide what to do. I look at the daily figures which show that the virus is still very much here. I have already decided not to go shopping and will continue online food shop and any other essentials but itā€™s the hugs I miss most and seeing the two other adult children who have left home.
I live here with one of my adult sons who struggles with his mental health at times so I am happy I can support him. We have had some bad weeks and then others that have been fine and Iā€™m still working through my to do listā€¦ so still things to do plus the daily walk!

2 Likes