Taking supplements after chemotherapy

Hello
Can anyone advise on if it’s ok to take glucosamine, Are there any supplements than can be beneficial after chemotherapy. Thanking you in advance for any response

1 Like

Hi @JoanieC and welcome to the forum family.
With regards to your question I would say that’s one for you medical team. I’ve copied in @GemmaBloodCancerUK and @TanyaBloodCancerUK who may be able to offer some advice.
How are you doing? Had your treatment finished now? I look forward to hearing more about you :blush:

1 Like

@Nichola75 is correct. Best take it from someone medically more knowledgeable. I think it may be different for everyone. Nobody gave me any such advice after my chemo or talked about diet and lifestyle at all, so I was left to find my own way but I hope you are able to speak to someone who may help.

3 Likes

Hello @JoanieC, thank you for posting and welcome to the Forum. I would advise to always check with you Haematology Doctor about any supplements post treatment as they are best placed to consider this alongside your blood counts and treatment history. I general, a well balanced diet with exercise (at your own pace) is recommended after treatment. We have some webpages that may be useful about life after treatment Blood cancer: after treatment | Blood Cancer UK with a living well section that gives good suggestions Living well with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK
Do get in touch if you need any further support How to contact Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK
Kind regards
Gemma

4 Likes

Hi Nichola75
First and foremost sorry for not responding sooner, my emails from Blood Cancer Uk appears to have gone into junk.anyway thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I did contact the nursing team at my Haematology dept who gave me the ok on taking glucosamine supplements. I finished my chemotherapy in April, and I have been feeling extremely well with lots of energy. My last scan did show a small area on my spleen which my consultant said could be tissue damage or I have to accept that it may have not been total success. However I have a further scan at the end of the month and I have my scientific fingers crossed. Trying to live in the moment.
All the best to you
JoanieC

1 Like

Hi @JoanieC. Hopefully you get this reply - fingers crossed.
Great to get an update and really good to hear you are doing well.
I think living in the moment is definitely the way to go! Hope you’ve been enjoying the sunshine when it hasn’t been to hot!
Please let us know how your scan goes at the end of the month.
Take care x

1 Like

Hello @JoanieC
Great to hear you managed to discuss supplements with your Haem team.
Also good to hear you have been feeling very well and had lots of energy.
As you and @Nichola75 have both said “Living in the Moment” is definitely great advice to us all.
I also have my fingers crossed for you for your next scan, keep in touch with us and let us know how you are.
If you do need to chat things through at all, please don’t hesitate to get in touch or call our support line.
Best wishes,
Heidi.

3 Likes