Testing Positive for Covid when you have a chronic blood cancer

@jimmee

Much appreciated… I totally get what you mean… I’ve seen more illness and colds around me than I have myself… Surprisingly I’m looking and feeling really well but medically not as much… yet people around have been dropping like flies (poor choice of words and not literally) with colds and niggles…

Not sure if I’m more self protected of myself and of course I know social distancing and mask wearing has effected this.

Really good to hear you’ve coped with it well and the light is bright…

Any special treats for your first day of freedom?

2 Likes

Beethoven’s 9th at the Royal Albert Hall. Fully masked up!!

4 Likes

That sounds amazing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing on here how you coped after testing positive for Covid @jimmee - I imagine seeing that positive result must have been very scary. How are you doing now?

2 Likes

Great to hear you are on the road to recovery and are starting to feel a little better :blush:

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am just wondering if any of our community have had covid and how they were if so? Its so hard to find anything concrete anywhere! I hope everyone is feeling well. Its a tough old world just now!:bouquet::hugs:

2 Likes

I haven’t personally @Kimmie17 as far as I know but the testing methods are somewhat unreliable. I don’t think I’ve had any symptoms to my knowledge but I have had a few “other” viruses during the Covid times as I wasn’t as protected against those. Blood Cancer UK support team should be able to answer anything you want to know I think. I find the various medical professionals I have dealings with just to want to deal with their one issue and not look at my health holistically. My hospital team never look at any of my diabetes stuff and my GP want touch anything to do with the cancer, so I’m not sure who I’d turn to if I actually got Covid at any point. Hope you find the answers you’re looking for.

3 Likes

Hello Kimmie17, I think we’ve chatted before? I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and I’ve had covid. It felt like having a very heavy head cold and I recovered after 12 days. Taste and smell returned a week or so later so all ok now. I don’t believe there is anything concrete anywhere as there is no set template for this. I’ve had 3 doses now and will keep topping up in line with any medical advice. I hope this helps and with the new anti viral treatments and vaccinations the world might just be a tad less tough. Take care.

3 Likes

I soke to my oncolost today. He assured me that if I get to hospital just saying the magic words “Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)” will get me on to the new treatment which is available.
Trouble is it is so hard to get into the hospital. I also asked him about effectiveness of the treatment for his Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) patients that have got into hospital. On this he wasn’t nearly as cheerful. He told me that some have ended in ICU and eventually he revealed there have been deaths. His advice again was “don’t go near anyone with covid and don’t take chances.” So really it’s back to total shielding.
One vaguely cheerful note for me personally was that all the people he has seen in hospital with covid have been people undergoing treatment. I am still on watch and wait without any treatment.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply jimmee, it’s actually reassuring to know (and a relief) that you weren’t seriously ill. Some of my friends don’t get my anxiousness and tell me I have to just get on with my life. I do, but there is always a but! Take care too :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, it made very interesting reading and has been helpful :hugs:

1 Like

Hi @alanmills a welcome to our forum and your oncologist sounds as if they gave you a very honest reply.
I also have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and I am on watch and wait too, I certainly don’t intend to go anyway near anyone with Covid knowingly !!!