5th Vaccine Dose (2nd Booster Dose)

See article link below - This sounds like excellent news that we might be eligible for a 5th jab (second booster).

I had zero antibodies after my first 3 jabs (jab 3 was 9 months after my R Benda treatment finished) but I managed to produce a tiny number of antibodies after jab 4 (12 months after my last rituximab treatment) so that to me felt like it was my first proper jab. A second booster may help me produce some more antibodies (wondering if there should be a formal revaccination strategy 12 months after last rituximab, the 6 months per JCVI green book seems too soon) . Also wonder if we might get the Novavax vaccine that got approved recently (looks good against Omicron?). Anyway this news has given me a boost today. Iā€™ll still be cautious but at least I would feel Iā€™d be starting to get a little protection. (Iā€™m also in the PROSECO study, giving my next bloods shortly so they will also capture my antibody results following my 4th jab).

3 Likes

I was told that since I had rituximab as part of my treatment for DLBCL (R-CHOP) that my first 2 jabs were ineffective and thus I consider that I have only had 2 effective jabs - the 3rd primary vaccine and the 4th jab (booster). So I would welcome more jabs - 5th & 6th if need be and if deemed necessary 7th & 8th!!

Like many others Iā€™m waiting to see if we might be offered the prophylactic antibody treatment (Evusheld) but since the JVCI havenā€™t approved it we will just have to wait.

Also I was told that if I did get Covid that I would qualify for the treatment which takes the form of an infusion - hospital visit to receive it. Why wait to get Covid? Surely prevention is better planning.

Anyway we just have to wait and see what happens next.

3 Likes

Totally agree, prevention is better than cure, so bring on the jabs, Evusheld, whatever it takes.

3 Likes

Hi @CaroleCW, Thanks for your comment. I do hope you are keeping okay?
We are certainly hearing this may be the case but have not yet been provided with any confirmation or indeed guidance for a potential 5th vaccine. As soon as we are advised we will update all our platforms highlighting all it entails.
In the meantime do keep an eye on our Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK as this continues to be updated regularly for all new and upcoming treatments that have been approved for use in the UK.

Do Take Care, Lauran

5 Likes

Hi @CaroleCW itā€™s an everchanging picture isnā€™t it, we await. Thanks for the article

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just read that the 2nd booster will be given to us lot 6 months after the 4th jab - whatever happened to the 3 month interval. Since I had my 4th jab on the 29th January then Iā€™ll have to wait until end of July and then the ā€œautumn boosterā€ wonā€™t be given until the end of January 2023.

When there was the panic for boosters the interval was reduced to 3 months - now itā€™s been decided to revert back to 6 months since they have made the assumption that we all had our boosters in Autumn 2021!! Very uninformed planning by those in authority.

So for us all we will continue to chase for our entitlement at ever diminishing vaccine centres.

6 Likes

Yes I saw that ā€œ6 month since last jabā€ and thought that must surely be wrong. Hoping it is and that it might get clarified when further detail comes out. Otherwise weā€™ll be getting our second booster in the summer not spring as the JCVI announcement seems to intend ā€¦.v strange as you say

3 Likes

I have just heard on the news the half a million extremely vulnerable will be getting a 5th covid jab in the spring and another one in the Autumn. I had my 4th in December so i think i may have to wait 6 months for my 5th. Wonder how it all work.

4 Likes

Hi @ilivesunshine do you know again I am confused and by past experience things that get announced today get changed later on for different reasons.
I await my 5th and 6th sometime.

3 Likes

How right you are! Most of todayā€™s announcement is what we used to call ā€˜back of a cigarette packetā€™ (not a very PC phrase nowšŸ˜Š). My husband wonā€™t get his 5th ā€˜Springā€™ jab until end of July ā€¦. so probably his autumn jab will be next January? All very confusing!

Another thing that doesnā€™t make sense: how will he access the antivirals if theyā€™re ending testing? He has a red priority test in the drawer - but will that be replaced if he uses it? If not, how will he get the treatment? They really need to think these things through before they make half-baked announcementsā€‹:rage:. (And donā€™t even get me started on asking why Evusheld hasnā€™t been authorised ā€¦ā€¦ :rage:).

5 Likes

Hi @Ruth I hope you and your husband are doing okay. Weā€™d encourage you to read our updated page here where it explains that As of 10 February 2022, there are new covid treatments available for people with blood cancer, and you can now access these with a positive lateral flow test rather than having to wait for a PCR test.

We understand the the Government have stated that lateral flow tests will continue to be available for free for vulnerable people, which is good news. As we learn more about this we will continue to update the blood cancer community.

If you want to talk any of this through, weā€™re only at the end of the phone/email.

4 Likes

They havenā€™t defined what vulnerable means though. According to this morningā€™s paper they mentioned the elderly and people in care homes, but they said they hadnā€™t confirmed that the (canā€™t remember the exact number) vulnerable people would get free tests.

3 Likes

Thanks Alice. It will be interesting to hear the full detail as the BBC are reporting free tests for the vulnerable for symptomatic covid. It didnā€™t specify which tests and if we would still get boxes to do routine tests. I am very concerned as it now appears we all need to either shield or play Russian Roulette with our lives.

6 Likes

I will be playing Russian roulette as i have done throughout most of the pandemic albeit with caution!

1 Like

Iā€™m also trying to live my life ā€œwith cautionā€. We are driving to Spain again next week for another 7 weeks. Last time in November I felt so much safer there, but Iā€™ll be leaving the access to the antivirals behind, and despite loads of research, I canā€™t find out if I could get these in Spain. Also, Sunday is my daughterā€™s 50th birthday lunch in a restaurant. This will be the first time Iā€™ve been with lots of other people who may or may not have the virus. Normally if Iā€™m meeting family or friends they are all happy to do lateral flow tests beforehand. However, she will (obviously) never be 50 again, so Iā€™m going to be there - I will keep my mask on when Iā€™m not eating or drinking. In my opinion Evusheld is the way forward for us

4 Likes

I admire you for going out to eat and also your holidayā€¦nothing is without risk but youā€™re right some things cannot be replaced and as we know life is for living. Safe travels and hope you enjoy your meal and donā€™t feel too nervousā€¦Iā€™m desperate to go out to dinner again! Best wishes.

5 Likes

Hi @Lones28 a great big welcome and what a debate to join.
Yes, life is for living and I am step my toe into the water soon.
It is weird as I went into a shop for the second time in two years today. I was wearing a mask, nobody else seemed to be and I just sort of slipped back into my old normal, but from behind a mask.
@Grannajan have a wonderful time at your daughterā€™s 50th birthday lunch and also in Spain for another 7 weeks.
Yes, oh to go out for lunch or dinner again and not cook, I thought that today when i walked past my favourite pub.
Enjoy all, I will be right behind you soon

5 Likes

I really wish we could have the anti virals to take with us. If you manage to find out if they are available in Spain please would you met me know. I cant find any information either but i fear they are not. We have managed 2 weeks in nerja for new year and got home from 2 weeks in Lanzerote laxt week. We are going to Benalmedena for 2 weeks in 10 days time. Have managed to avoid covid so far but wondering how much longer my luck can last. As you say fell much safer there.
Enjoy your trip.

2 Likes

@ilivesunshine and enjoy your your next trip too !!!

1 Like

What a coincidence - we are going to Caleta de Velez, which is near Nerja. We actually used to live there. There is a section on the gov.uk website about what to do if you get Covid in Spain. It gives you phone numbers to ring and also details of English speaking doctors. Enjoy Benalmadena :sun_with_face:

3 Likes