Any news about authorisation of the preventative antibody treatment from the PROVENT study?

We are indeed very disappointed to hear the news that Evusheld will not be made available for immunosuppressed patients this year and appreciate that many will be feeling let down. We are calling on the Government to review their decision and will push for the speeding up of any further required review processes. You may wish to watch our recent Ask the Experts Facebook Live event, which I’ve linked here- Ask the Experts- Blood cancer, Covid Vaccine Efficacy and Treatments - What Do We Know So Far?. The title of this is ‘Blood cancer, Covid Vaccine Efficacy and Treatments - What Do We Know So Far?’ and may help to address some of your questions.

We also continue to push the Government to ensure access to post-exposure treatments is as easy as possible for our community. You can read more about this process here- Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK. We’d encourage our community to obtain the vaccines they are entitled to, and there is more information on this here- How to book a covid vaccine if you have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK.

We will continue to work hard to ensure the needs of our community are heard and that they are not forgotten or left behind. In the meanwhile, if you need any support or wish to talk anything through at all, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Support Team (Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK).

KInd regards
Gemma

4 Likes

Government patting itself on the back for approving Moderna’s updated vaccine specifically designed for original Omicron and BA.1 variant even though they are no longer dominant variants. Seems they will roll out in the Autumn but still insist Evusheld has to meet higher criteria before we can be given a chance of something approaching a life. About time mainstream media start questioning the Government over their policy regarding those most at risk of dying from Covid.

6 Likes

This was published in British Medical Journal on the 15th August and suggests we’re the advice to not purchase Evusheld came from but of course nobody seems to be aware of what that advise is other than the Gov. I have made appropriate Freedom of Info requests to MHRA NICE NHS and several to DHSC. The one I made in relation to consultation being completed is due for response this week, we shall see if anything transpires. It does say SB going to meet AZ again but after six months of ignoring evidence why change the Gov mind.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Completely agree with you 100% Maureen , I am in the same position and feel this is so discriminatory and unfair. Our lives count for nothing - or so it seems. Obviously they won’t need our votes either. Disgraceful.

3 Likes

We can’t have the new vaccine either, please see page 4.
The efficacy and safety of the vaccine has not been assessed in immunocompromised individuals, including those receiving immunosuppressant therapy. The efficacy of Spikevax bivalent Original / Omicron may be lower in immunocompromised individual.

1 Like

Thank you for this @Ted369, we are looking into this and will be updating you all with the feedback from the JCVI.
Kind regards
Gemma

5 Likes

This is my letter to my MP. Maureen’s letter and the BCUK Template were helpful, though I decided to make it as personal as I could.

Dear Daisy Cooper,

I am a constituent of St Albans constituency. I am writing to you because I am enormously disappointed by the government’s recent decision (ref) not to procure and roll out the anti-COVID prophylactic drug Evusheld. I am severely immuno-compromised, with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia controlled by an immune-suppressant drug acalabrutinib, which means that despite five COVID vaccinations I have minimal antibodies detectable so am little protected. Thus I am very vulnerable to infection and severe disease from COVID and the only way to protect myself is by socially isolating, massively restricting my life and also that of my wife. Meeting with others, including close family, is only possible outdoors. Work is only possible because my employer has so far accepted that I work remotely. I could much relax these limitations if Evusheld was available – something like being released from house arrest.

I am aware and am very grateful that you have previously been active advocating roll out of Evusheld in parliament and elsewhere. You are thus certainly aware of what Evusheld has to offer and probably know of the recent decision. I will therefore be briefer than otherwise, but would like to emphasize a few points in case some are new to you:

The main thrust of the government’s defence of not buying Evusheld at this point appears to be that its efficacy against the Omicron variants has not been demonstrated. However:

1.   The same could have been said about the vaccines and post-infection treatments currently continuing to be procured and used. Some uncertainty is not a reason for non-use when safety has been demonstrated (approved by MHRA March 22) and some efficacy is likely.

2.   Other countries’ (reported as 32) health systems have been aware of this but decided to roll out nevertheless (including Canada, France, Israel and the USA) The US’s FDA did explore effectiveness in lab studies, and concluded that an increased dose would give the same protection against omicron as the original did against the previous variants (ref)

3.   At least two studies (from [Israel](https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciac625/6651663?login=false) and the [US](https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.28.22275716v1)) have been published using real-world data to compare outcomes between immune-compromised persons taking with those not taking Evusheld during the Omicron wave, and both concluded that the protection offered was broadly the same as that indicated by the trials. Although these studies were not randomised so potentially subject to some bias, both took substantial steps to control biases. The US study in particular in my view did this comprehensively and very convincingly. (I am a professor of epidemiological statistics so quite experienced in judging this.)

4.   A clinical consensus [statement](https://appg-vulnerablegroups.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Prophylactic_clinical_consensus_statement.pdf) drawn up by 125 clinicians set up by the All Party Parliamentary Group for Vulnerable Groups to Pandemics, dated 22/7, strongly urged roll-out without delay.

The government does not appear to date to have published the basis for its decision. It has indicated that the matter will be considered by NICE, but they would not report until April – another winter of lock-down, this time avoidable, for those of us who are immune-compromised.

I am not aware of quite what you can do, but by writing I hope I can ensure you are aware of the developments on this issue and how it impacts some of your constituents. Perhaps you can write to the Secretary of State on my behalf? I ask you to urge them to buy and make available preventative Covid treatments like Evusheld without delay.

7 Likes

I started this please copy and share with all you know. Every little helps😅

5 Likes

Hi MCA, Thank you for starting this petition and all the research and time you have spent on trying to get EVUSHELD for us. Have signed copied and shared :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Ted369 No problem hope your doing ok these days . Burgler free :sweat_smile:

Signed and shared - great work

Have signed and now sharing

I am currently in Spain and had an appointment with the Haematology Dept in the local hospital regarding having my pentamidine nebuliser while I am here. Whilst there I asked about getting Evusheld as we spend a lot of time here. I was surprised to hear the doctor say that they hadn’t started using it yet, and when it did come through, they would look at the antibodies in all their blood cancer patients to decide who should have it.

2 Likes

Dont read the DM its always full of hateful comments …those people are its buyers sadly

Thank you @MCA. I’ve signed your petition.

Thank you @GemmaBloodCancerUK for being on the case and for representing many voices. Let’s hope so hard that the Govt. have ears to hear.

1 Like

Thank you to @Coastgirl and anyone who has signed. I have tried on Twitter in vain to get traction behind it so far little success. :thinking: the median used? Even the campaign by Adrian Warnock in nearly six months only got approx. 18000. So many effected so few sign very odd

3 Likes

Hi, Evusheld being discussed on the Jeremy Vine show today radio 2 from 12.00.