Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

I can really understand your feelings @Summertime and I am so, so glad that your elusive donor is still on board. Look after yourself.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really great news x

3 Likes

Oh @Lyn99, my funny charming Stem cell transplant buddy, Iā€™m so sorry. Hopefully you are recovering more now. Itā€™s awful having an infectio; the antibiotics they use are pretty strong too :disappointed:
I really hope that once youā€™ve got over the infection your haemoglobin will pick up too.
Have they given you a
My idea how long you will be in this time?. I think they like your temp to be stable for a few days.
Sending huge hugs and xx

2 Likes

@Summertime - the ward care is brilliant, so pleased your donor still is going to be there for you x
If the visiting rules change Iā€™ll come and see you on a clinic day, but no matter what Iā€™ll be thinking of you xx

3 Likes

Ahh that would be lovely @ChrisCKW. Would be lovely to meet you. I am there on Tues and then again on 12th Oct, if you are around those days?
I have been reading about the donor process and they do have to go through quite a lot. So kind and generous for a stranger to do.
Do you still have your hickman line?
Thank you for all the info, it really helps to keep me positive.
xxx

3 Likes

@Summertime The earliest Addenbrookes usually take the Hinkman line out is about day +50, so they are considering it for next week (which will be day +50!)
And yes the donor has to have similar checks X-rays etc as we had then they have to have a week of self administered injections to increase all the blood cells. Brother said he was quite bruised nauseous and achy (but he didnā€™t tell me until afterwards).

The pre Bone marrow transplant/Stem cell transplant clinics are on Tuesdays (as are the Hinkman line fittings); post transplant clinics are mostly Fridays ( occasional spill overs into Thursdays if they are very busy). So I probably wonā€™t see you before you are admitted. But if I do end up going there Iā€™ll shout out Summertime! And everyone will shout back No itā€™s Autumn :rofl::two_hearts:

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I will answer but the sun is still shining :sun_with_face:
xxx

3 Likes

Hi @ChrisCKW, feeling better and no temp spikes for 2 days :crossed_fingers: looks like my own body ended up fighting the infection as it was resistant to all anti biotics except for the one Iā€™m allergic to, can you believe that! Iā€™m hoping to be home tomorrow all being well but each infection lowers the blood count and makes the poor stem cells struggle, so more transfusions and injections.
Whatā€™s with all the lovely photos, Iā€™ve only got a bald one so staying in cognito until my hair grows :grin: xx

4 Likes

Hi @Lyn99 how was loosing your hair for you?
I hope you get home soon too.

3 Likes

Hope things start going in the right direction X

3 Likes

Itā€™s my wig! :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: - me too of course xxx

2 Likes

@Lyn99 mines with my wig toošŸ™‚. So pleased you are feeling better and hopefully on your way home again xxx

3 Likes

Back Home, feeling well ahhhhhhā€¦xx

2 Likes

Oh @Lyn99 I think ahhhhhhhh says it all, brilliant news and thanks for letting us know now a lot of self care is in order !!

1 Like

That is such great news!!! X

2 Likes

Great to hear @Lyn99, hope you keep well xxx

3 Likes

Have a glass of your alcohol free wine! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: xxxxx

1 Like

Just back from Addenbrookes. My levels have all dropped.

white blood cells 1.0
patelets 42
neuts 0.45

I thought things were going too well! Not sure what this means.

I have a tele appt on Friday with my consultant and then I am going back on Monday for bloods again.

I also had a bone marrow biopsy, with gas and air this time. It was torture. First time Iā€™ve had it with gas and air and I was hoping it would be easier.

Oh well, thatā€™s the last one until after the transplant nowā€¦i hope.
xx

2 Likes

I have been having a couple of glasses of wine. Do you think this has affected my levels? :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi @Summertime, no idea if the wine can affect your bloods, it will be interesting to see what your consultant says on Friday.
I expect if you are anything like me you are anxious about the appointment now, but it is also your opportunity to ask everything you want to.
You must have been so disappointed and in so much pain, that the gas and air didnā€™t help during your bone marrow biopsy.
Please keep updating us and look after yourself.

3 Likes