Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

They say that alcohol can affect platelets adversely; but red wine can help with haemoglobin and reduce anaemia.
The first haematology consultant (who was disinterested to be fair - not from Addenbrookes I should add) to review my files said to give up drinking completely. (If I had 2 glasses per week that was 1 more than normal!)

The one at my local hospital who monitored me then organised the first bone marrow aspiration and biopsy thus diagnosing me said an occasional glass wouldn’t hurt but if my levels were very low it would have more effect than if levels were normal.

But after my pre hospital chemos my blood levels were really low. It didn’t affect the procedure as they expect to give you transfusions, and they expect you to become neutropenic xxxx

2 Likes

I’m sorry the gas and air didn’t help and glad that part is all over!
Please let us know how your app goes on Friday X

2 Likes

Just had a call from Dr C, he said no sign of leukaemia so he’s not sure why my counts have dropped. He said it might be the imatinib so to stop that until my bloods on Monday. I asked about wine🙈. He said he didn’t think it would affect my counts as long as not drinking too much. I think I will give it a miss now. Funny as I didn’t fancy a drink all through chemo but when I went away it was nice to enjoy a glass or2 in the evening xxx

3 Likes

@Danmar hops you are getting on ok? Thinking of you xx

3 Likes

A lot of research /advice comes from the US - whatever is wrong with you, whatever meds you’re on the advice is don’t drink alcohol :roll_eyes:

Whereas in hospital in France they serve you a 1/4 bottle of wine with your evening meal!!
Xxxxx

3 Likes

:joy: maybe I need to move there xxx

3 Likes

I had a call this afternoon to say I’m going in on Tues 12th​:star_struck:, I’m excited and terrified :grimacing:

3 Likes

Oh @Summertime at least you have a date to go in, but as you say excited and terrified, we are all here for you so look after yourself.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant! So pleased for you.
I’m at the clinic tomorrow, find out the results of the DNA in my bone marrow. Very nervous. Ideally it should be 100% my brothers, if it’s 90 or above that’s good, less and that’s worrying. Keep your fingers crossed xxxx

4 Likes

Good luck @Summertime . You’ll be fine!
Great to hear that you’re home @Lyn99 . The beginning of the next phase of your life!

5 Likes

Oh @ChrisCKW I am not surprised you are nervous about the DNA in your bone marrow.
Please do let us know how you get on at the clinic tomorrow.
Fingers and toes crossed for you.

3 Likes

Be thinking of you @ChrisCKW

3 Likes

@ChrisCKW will keep everything crossed for you. Does that mean another biopsy :see_no_evil:?
Please let us know how you get on. How are you feeling in yourself? xxx

4 Likes

@Franko thank you :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I’m still in a lot of pain from Tuesdays bone marrow biopsy, not had it this bad before. I’m dreading the next one now :tired_face:

4 Likes

Hi @Summertime I am sorry to hear that you are still in a lot of pain after Tuesdays bone marrow biopsy.
Really look after yourself and I am thinking of you.

3 Likes

@Danmar , i am where you were in July. Had the Hickman line but they had to remove has i had a blood clot. Will need a pic line and bloods to get back to good range before going. On iron infusions and blood test and mediation in the interim .

4 Likes

No, this is from bone marrow aspiration etc 3 weeks ago. Some results came back fast but DNA/chimerism takes 3 weeks.
Sorry your BM tests were so painful :weary: my next scheduled one is 5/11.
Currently sat waiting for clinic appointment x

3 Likes

Hi yes I’m considering one and I’m very worried

4 Likes

@ChrisCKW how did you get on yesterday? xxx

4 Likes