Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

Hi @Bees this group has been so helpful to me, being able to share my thoughts/fears over the past 5 months has been a great comfort.

I am due to go into Addenbrookes on the 12th for a stem cell transplant x

4 Likes

Hi @Bees, yes, it must be scary but we will be here to support you, so look after yourself and please keep posting.

2 Likes

@ChrisCKW , I’m really getting into my alcohol free wine but its £9.00 a bottle so bit of an expensive luxury! Hope all goes well with your marrow aspiration everything crossed for you xx

3 Likes

On @ mayo, sorry to hear that, just been back in hospital for 6 days with an infection when mine was taken out. Good luck with the pick line xx

3 Likes

Oh @Summertime , the bone marrow biopsies are awful. I get quite scared when I have to have one as I know it’s really painful. Hope you recover soon. I have found a really good replacement alcohol free wine, it’s called Odd Bird Chardonay. It is £9.00 a bottle but good alternative. Xx

1 Like

@Danmar, just thinking of you hope all is going well. I guess it’s a bit full on at the moment and you might be in the sicky phase?. Look forward to hearing from you when you are up to it. Hope you have a TV and some audio books for the recovery xx

2 Likes

Hey @Lyn99 , my sister bought me a bottle of Odd Bird champagne. She is addicted to it :blush:
She also brought round a bottle of Rawsons Retreat for us to share.
@Summertime the results weren’t back still. Consultant Charles Crawley) was furious and whizzed an email off.
All else is good so far :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: xxxx

4 Likes

Hi @ChrisCKW oh, what a very thoughtful sister.

3 Likes

She is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

Post must be longer so hi all

3 Likes

@Lyn99 @ChrisCKW so are you not allowed alcohol after transplant? I guess it’s not a good idea really😂

How are you both feeling and getting on back at home (apart from your return to hosp @Lynn )
Are you able to see your family ?

My daughter turned up at hosp at 7.30 am on fri for her C-section to be told they didn’t have enough staff!! So they were sent home :pleading_face:. They are back there on Tues and hopefully our new bubs will arrive then xxx

3 Likes

@ChrisCKW thats really annoying, hope Dr C gets some answers quickly xx

2 Likes

Hi @Summertime your daughter, you and your family must have been all keyed up for her C section and then to be told that the dept., did not have enough staff, I don’t believe it.
I know the emotional toll I go through when I have a cancelled appointment and I am not carrying an imminently arriving baby. Thinking of you all.xx

2 Likes

I bet you can’t wait for the new baby!

2 Likes

Does anyone know if I am allowed to take a kettle into Addenbrookes with me?

2 Likes

I took in a kettle - it was a brand new travel kettle and boxed, but the only comment was it was a good idea xx
So I think as long as it looks safe you’ll be fine @Summertime

2 Likes

Thanks @ think I will take one xx

3 Likes

I just know those results are going to be fine. You’re doing so well. Umhh Rawsons Retreat, I’m going to look that one up!
Xx :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Hi @Summertime, bloods becoming more steady and going upwards which is great. The antibiotics gave them a bit of a bashing but recovering now. The strong chemo and antibiotics are pretty harsh on the liver so I was told not to drink for at least 6 weeks after the transplant. They did scan my liver as they were getting some funky results but it was just the treatment and will be temporary.
What a disappointment for your daughter, I can’t imagine being geared up for baby and being sent home xx

3 Likes

Yes I can imagine. I will save myself for Christmas.
Good you are doing so well though. Are you sleeping lots? xx

3 Likes

We have our baby boy, George Joseph arrived last night weighing 8lb 10 oz!
They were there all day waiting and thought they might get sent home again but all actions stations about 6 pm.
I am going to meet him tonight :))

5 Likes