Awaiting or considering or had a stem cell transplant, a place to share here

@Summertime I m thinking of you and hoping things have got better since your last post xxx

Im wonderding if anyone else found the time waiting to see if a donor agrees to donate difficult? I have been waiting 3 weeks now for an update and finding it rough going as the days go on. My transplant is scheduled for June but no date. Feel in limbo land at the moment xxx

2 Likes

Gosh - that must be so difficult for you. I hope others can share their experiences with you. I find any kind of waiting difficult - waiting for results etc. Waiting for a match must really take its toll X

2 Likes

Thanks Nichola the first 2 weeks I was preoccupied but im definitely struggling now and even having nightmares that they cant find anyone.
I know the best il get is a 9/10 match so I think that just adds to the stress i am feeling. The last update i had said they had approached someone. It would be just great to know if some wonderful person had said they would do that for me. I know I have to be patient wish I could just turn my mind off it!

3 Likes

Oh, @Ashob trying to be a ā€˜patient patientā€™ is really impossible.
I think it is so normal for our thoughts and emotions to be all over the place and then they come out in our dreams/nightmares.
It must be is so scary and stressful for you.
We always say on here that the waiting is the worst, especially when we feel out of control.
If I could turn my mind off I would definitely share it with everyone on here.
The best tricks I have found is doing lovely little things for myself and spoiling myself.
Be kind to yourself and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there or you and please keep posting.

2 Likes

Thanks Erica. Please God when the news comes it will be good xxx

3 Likes

As @Erica said, if we knew how to turn our mind off we would be millionaires! Sometimes, the harder we try to turn it off the more we think about it.
It is a wonderful gift that youā€™ll receive. Iā€™m keeping everything crossed that youā€™re match is found soonšŸ¤ž
Do the team keep in contact with you with regular updates?

3 Likes

Not regular in the transplant hospital Nichola but I know they are up to their eyes. Hopefully they will ring soon or an appt will come in the post. I attend my local hospital every week but they dont have info on the transplant. Patience!!!

1 Like

Patience it is @Ashob! :blush:

1 Like

Hi,sorry to hear that.Keeping my :crossed_fingers:and everything else crossed for you

2 Likes

Hi all I got an update today. No donor confirmed and transplant now pushed back to end of June. Note to self : must be very patient!!!

2 Likes

Oh @Ashob I am so sorry, I cannot imagine how you are feeling now I know I get all keyed up for health things, it is a mixture of emotions for me of fear, anxiety, stress, even excitement.
I hate being a patient patient.
Perhaps diversion tactics of doing nice things.
Please keep posting how you are doing.

3 Likes

Thanks @Erica I had a little cry earlier then got myself together. I know its a huge amount of work for them so I need to allow them the time to do and pray to God they find someone soon. I know stress and anxiety are no good for my body so positive pants back on again and keep busy!

3 Likes

That must be very tough for you! We have to let out those emotions otherwise we eventually explode! This patience malarky isnā€™t much fun is it! However, stick at it. Sending extra special wishes your way :blush:

3 Likes

@Ashob I would have been boo hooing all over the place.
My positive pants are getting worn out, I must get some more.
You are so right stress and anxiety are no good for any of us.
Be kind to yourself and please keep posting

3 Likes

Dear @Summertime,

Itā€™s a while since I last logged in and Iā€™ve been reading all about your frightening and frustrating adventures. I hope with lots and lots of hope that the feeding tube has helped to build you up again and that your husband was not symptomatic with Covid.

Also @Ashob I really hope the ideal donor will be found for you very soon.
Waiting, not knowing, getting disappointed and wearing holes in our positive pants are experiences we all seem to share.

Iā€™m doing my best to be positive for both of you and hoping that things suddenly take a big turn for the better :sunny:

4 Likes

Hi @Coastgirl thanks very much for the kind thoughts. Hope you are doing well.

Still waiting for the phone to ring or the postman to bring an appt. Has been 8 weeks now. Am just worried they cant find a donor but have to be patient. Start round 8 of Aza next week.

Really hope that @Summertime is doing well too and going from strength to strength xxx

5 Likes

Hi @Ashob isnā€™t continual waiting absolutely anxious making, scary, horrible and never ending.
Please keep us posted and let us know how you get on after starting Aza next week.
Look after and be kind to yourself.

4 Likes

Hi, I havenā€™t posted for a while but here is a quick update. I have been home almost 3 weeks, it was day 50 yesterday. I am doing well, starting to walk a bit further every day and eating much better, although I still need to sleep after lunch! I have been told this morning that I am 100% donor which is really pleasing.
Good luck to those of you who are waiting for transplant xx

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the update and itā€™s great to hear you are doing so well! Sleep when you need to - heals recovery! Please keep us updated. Sending lots of love X

1 Like

Oh @Suey great to hear from you, I believe in a nap after lunchtime and I havenā€™t had a transplant.
I honestly think sleeping is so restorative.
I also really believe in gently increasing exercise every day when I feel up to it.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Look after and be kind to yourself

1 Like