BioNTech SE Vaccine

It’s exciting to see the NHS are testing the new vaccine sponsored by BioNTech SE for cancer patients with hard tumours. Does anyone know if this can be used for Blood Cancers or is CAR-T the equivalent treatment?

3 Likes

Hi @PaulThanks for your post and I have no idea, but I will copy your question to Blood Cancer UK
@BloodCancerUK-SupportTeam for you.
Look after yourself

2 Likes

In the newspaper today it just listed some “solid cancers” that’s it’s being trialled on initially , so it didn’t look like blood cancer is included just yet. Hopefully soon!

3 Likes

seems to be a mopping up tool after other treatments have done their job. Guess that rules out blood cancers.

2 Likes

Yes I guess so. It’s a treatment to kill off the remaining cancer cells. Anyway, the progress with genetic engineering seems hopeful for blood cancers too.

3 Likes

Sounds very hopeful doesn’t it :blush:

2 Likes

The trial talk about enabling your immune system which sadly in some blood cancers doesn’t work. But hopefully it’s a step forward to future research :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi @Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to share.
As you say in the UK, the indications for these vaccine studies are for solid tumours only, but we in the trial support team aim always to keep informed of new developments.

As always our Clinical Trial Support Service are here should you have any further questions Clinical Trials Support Service | Blood Cancer UK
Take care

4 Likes