Blood thinners

When I was diagnosed with probable ET I was prescribed hydroxycarbamide and being older than some, I was also offered a blood thinner (clopidogrel). I had been allergic to aspirin for many years but I proved allergic to clopidogrel as well, so my GP suggested dipyridamole. I have now read that these old style blood thinners carry serious risks following head injuries when compared with the much newer ones like riveroxaban and apixaban. I never see any Google articles specifically about blood thinners for diseases like ET. Can anyone with ET say which blood thinners they have been prescribed? I would be grateful. Jumbo4.

3 Likes

A good question @jumbo4 I hope some responses.
How are you feeling and doing now?
Look after yourself

Hello @jumbo4, thanks for posting this interesting question. Do you have a Haematology team that you can ask this question or is your GP monitoring your ET? If you do have a Haematology contacts I do think this is a worthwhile question as they could also speak to the anti-coagulation team within Heamatology to advise. Do let us know if you need any support. Take care Gemma

1 Like

Hello @jumbo4 I am an ET patient, diagnosed in 2011 after blood clots were found. I am also on Hydroxycarbamide and aspirin which I know you can’t take. For my blood thinner I am taking good old fashioned warfarin. Yes I know it means more frequent checks than the likes of clopidogrel but it works fine for me
Hope you fine a suitable solution
Janet

2 Likes

Great to hear from you @Janet and your experiences are so useful. How are you feeling and doing @Janet. Look after yourself

I asked the consultant whether switching to a modern blood thinner would be a good idea. He said I am old and when you are old, better the devil you know!

Jumbo4

1 Like

Hello @jumbo4 , well that was a direct response from your Consultant. I presume he felt that dipyridamole was effective and didn’t post a significant risk? Did you mention Rivaroxaban and Apixaban? How do you feel after the consultation? Gemma

1 Like

Gemma
Yes I mentioned them. He implied that any advantage they had should be set against the difficulties of switching to a new one when suffering from a surfeit of old age.
Jumbo4

2 Likes

Dear @jumbo4,
How do you feel about that explanation? At least it has been considered but I appreciate it may not be the answer you wanted.
Do keep in touch if you need to discuss.
Kind regards
Gemma

1 Like