Bone marrow biopsy tomorrow

Hi I’ve got my 19 month bone marrow biopsy, I get them done every three months as I was on a clinical trial. I’m not nervous about the procedure … just the waiting afterwards. How does anyone else cope.

1 Like

Hi Phil, oh, the waiting game, the not knowing, me being out of control of the outcome, horrible. I get a yukky feeling in my stomach and the fear niggles away at me, the darkest hour is just before dawn and all that. I am useless at meditation and I know the theory of mindfulness. I find my Zumba and Pilates classes help as I really have to concentrate on them. Music helps and I have headphones and can go into my own little world with the music. My lovely friends provide a bit of a distraction. Through being on this site I have found we all seem to share this dilemma. Please let us know the results of your bone marrow biopsy we are all here to support each other through the waiting.

1 Like

Hi Phil, Wow! Every three months?! How many have you had to date? I’ve had three so far and dread whenever I’m due another! It is amazing what they do and tbh it is relatively painless but I just find it uncomfortable. My last biopsy was done with a small drill as apposed to the two needle procedure. Considering what they have to do it is pretty painless after with not even a bruise. Wishing you lots of luck with your no.? biopsy.

Sara x

2 Likes

Hi Phil, how did yesterday go? Any advice for someone about to have their first? Hope you’re able to take it easy today!

2 Likes

Hi Erica, thanks for your kind words. Like you I try and use distraction techniques like lots of exercise I even go and run 3 miles the day after the bone marrow but it’s difficult when those little samples go off to be tested while you sit and wait. Like you say the worst times are when you wake.

1 Like

Has running always been something you’ve used to distract yourself or manage worries Phil, or is it new since your diagnosis and treatment? Hope you don’t have too long to wait for the results.

2 Likes

Hi Sajdee. Thanks for your support. I’ve had 10 now apparently according to the pros’s. I really don’t mind it, just the fact o can’t go swimming the next day or run. It’s that waiting I hate although I guess if they needed me to go back I’d know by now.

1 Like

Hi Dawn, it went really well thanks. The procedure is totally painless, the only inconvenience is not being able to exercise properly the next day.

1 Like

Hi Dawn, I’ve always been into sport before AML hit I was always fit and healthy. I started to go back to the gym during my second round of chemo it kept me going. I’ve now started running 10k’s again, to be honest I use it as a tool to test myself. If I can’t run because I’m tired I feel anxious as if it’s coming back… mostly though I can just get on with it and run. :blush:

2 Likes