Bone marrow transplant soon

I work full time and im part of a great team. So they are keeping an eye on me.
My daughter gets married in Cornwall on 9th July so heading off there for a few days with my children and grandchildren.
Ive also got some decorating to get done and some work in the garden too so lots on.

2 Likes

Hi All
Sorry I’ve been slow in updating but not sure where the last few weeks have gone​:thinking::flushed:Last Thursday we got the best news possible.My Doctor confirmed that my new and existing cells have now meshed 100% :grinning::grinning::+1:So apart from minor kidney issues everything else is on track :+1:Haemaglobin levels regularly 115+ which considering a year ago they were 34 is fantastic.
Hope everyone else is ok on this :sun_with_face: Saturday

4 Likes

Oh @AlastairC that is absolutely wonderful news, I am so happy for you.
I hope you are celebrating and be kind to yourself and look after yourself.

Fabulous news Alistair. X

1 Like

Oh great news @AlastairC delighted for you and what a great hgb!

1 Like

Stem cells went up today. OH feeling quite tired and not eating or drinking much but the doctors and nurses are keeping an eye on him. X

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:crossed for you both.Keep strong time will pass quickly and you’ll be back together again and on the recovery path

2 Likes

Thanks Alastair will be a while but we have all the time we need x

1 Like

Yes @debbie36, perhaps it is normal to have ups and downs, but it sounds as if the doctors and nurses are keeping an eye on your OH.
I bet you are on an lonely exhausting roller coaster of thoughts and emotions.
We are here for you and so is the Blood Cancer UK support line.
Please keep posting.

1 Like

Great news Debbie…happy rebirth day to your hubbie. A few tough weeks ahead of him now but as you say no hurry main thing is yo get him stronger now xxx

@AlastairC hope you are doing well too xxx

1 Like

So its day +6 since my OH had his stem cell transplant. Thank goodness we had been well informed by the medics as his numbers are falling as expected and he is feeling pretty rubbish.
The team at the hospital are doing a great job with him. He is just about managibg to eat and is managing to take short walks outside of his room but still on the ward.
Im next due to travel to see him on Sunday. Im practicing my supportive reassring face in readiness but having a plentiful supply if tissues in the car for my drive home.
I had some friends from church around this evening and they are going to enlist some willing but competent volunteers.The plan is to get the outstanding decorating done while im away at my daughters wedding in readiness for my OH discharge home in a few weeks time. I was going to do it myself but i underestimated how much this would all take out of me too.
Hope everyone is doing ok xxx

2 Likes

Hi @Debbie36, how are you doing? Understandably this must be a difficult for time for you. It’s good to hear that you have the support of your friends at this time. Please do keep our support line in mind, if it’d help you to talk things through at all you’d be very welcome to give us a call (0808 2080 888). Best wishes, Tanya.

1 Like

Hi @Debbie36 I can fully understand how your OH is feeling having been through it all. It’s good that he’s managing to take a bit of exercise. That was the mistake I made, I spent the whole time watching TV and barely moved off my bed. When it came for time to go home, I was very weak. The only comfort I can offer is that it does get better, the whole process is tried and tested. You’ve given yourself such a lot to take on and I’m glad that your friends are all rallying round and helping.

1 Like

Hi @Debbie36 I bet you are looking forward to seeing your OH on Sunday.
Your friends from church sound wonderful and I am so impressed that you are accepting help.
Yes, your daughters wedding is soon, mixed emotions for you but enjoy.
We await hearing all about it.
The main thing is that you look after yourself, be kind to yourself and keep accepting help.

Hi @Debbie36 I have been thinking about you, your OH, your daughters wedding and the decorating?
Look after yourself

Just arrived in Falmouth but seems strange not having my OH with me. The rest of my family with the grandchildren are arriving tomorrow so will be pretty busy.
My OH has been poorly with ulceration in his mouth and gut a severe form of the mucus inflamation that can happen. He has become really weak as lots of awful diarrhoea and he hasnt eaten anything for a couple of weeks. He was very confused this morning when i spoke to him. Needless to say ive been and continue to be really worried.
On the plus side ive skimmed a half hour off my journey so now only 2 hours each way.
Im looking forward to trying to recharge my batteries is the sunshine at the seaside.
Thank you for asking Erica x

3 Likes

Oh Debbie hopefully he will start to improve now very soon. You are a great support to him x

1 Like

@Debbie36 it must have been really difficult for you to leave your OH, yes, you must be worried about him, but he is being looked after in hospital.
I am so glad that you are down in Falmouth and it must be strange not having your OH with you.
There is nothing more therapeutic for recharging your batteries than
good sea air, sunshine and really fresh fish and chips.
I will be thinking of you all over the weekend and please wish you daughter and partner every good health and happiness from me.
I await hearing all about it, enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks for the wedding photo etc.
Did your church friends do those jobs for you?
How are you feeling now now you are home and supporting your husband.
It’s tough isn’t it?
Look after yourself and ask for and accept help

Hi Erica
Falmouth seems like a distant memory as so much has happened since my return home. My church friends have done most of what was required with the rest being finished off today (Saturday). i am so grateful but still cant get used to asking for and accepting help.
My OH continued to become very unwell which culminated in a particularly worrisome time for everyone on Tuesday. However come Wednesday and it was like the calm after a heavy storm and he has gone from strength to strength since.
His numbers are just where they need to be including those fabulous new stem cells. The hospital are so pleased with his progress that his discharge home is being planned for Wednesday this coming week.
Im currently trying to work out how i am going to manage 2 trips down to Oxford a week though they are trying to get one moved to MK to ease the pressure on us both. Im not sure yet of the logistics of making that work with a full-time job. So i wiĺl have to have that discussion with my bosses.
I am so looking forward to having him home but the thought of me replacing an entire team of professionals who are currently caring for him is slightly terrifying even with, or maybe because of, my nursing background. Commode on order is not a phrase i ever thought i would hear myself say.
Anyway thats the update and i am grateful for the skills and generosity of friends and strangers who have helped us get this far. And for the support i have found here :blush:

3 Likes