CLL and skin cancer

Saw a dermatologist about a skin lesion. I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and already have had a cancerous lesion removed. She said that was a link between Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and skin cancer. Has anyone else heard of or had this?

2 Likes

Hi @Catcher, very interesting, I have heard this before.
I also have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and I had skin cancer on my head in 2016 and I had an major op and skin graft from my leg.
Over the last 2 yrs (slowed down because of Covid) I have had lotions and potions, freezing, cutting out bits, biopsies etc and at the end of Oct 21 I had a proper op and had the area scrapped and bits cut out and biopsied…
It was the cancer back.
Anyway the whole area has been slow to heal and I am left with one hole which is back to the skull which will not knit together. I have gone from daily dressing changes with the GP nurses to twice weekly now.
I saw actually two plastic surgeon consultants last week and I might have to live with the hole because they cannot skin graft onto skull.
The healing process has been slowed down because of my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and predisposition to getting infected, albeit only once.
I hope my experiences help you in some way.
Take care of yourself and try to keep covered in the sun and covered in high factor sun screen.
Please keep posting and I also look forward to hearing from others

8 Likes

I was thinking of @Erica as I read your post. It’s always great when people can share their own experiences. I look forward to hearing more from you :blush:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’ve had such trouble with skin cancer on your scalp, @Erica. You suport so many people on here, even when going through miserable issues yourself. You’re amazing. X

4 Likes

I empathise with you, I have had numerous Basil Cell, and Squamous, lesions taken out, and awaiting yet another squamous in my leg to be Biopsed. I have three monthly checks, which I have decided to do privately. I think we, Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)’rs should be very midful of Secondary type cancers.I do hpe that things imprve for you, all the best. Ron.

4 Likes

Hi,
Yes, I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and had my first melanoma removed in late 2020 and now have another which will be removed next week. I get 3 monthly check ups at the Dermatology Dept. now, as well as my 3 monthly Haematology appointments as there is a higher incidence of skin cancer with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL).

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I did wonder how much of a problem the link between Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and skin cancer was, now I know.

2 Likes

Dear @Catcher, I have also seen it documented that Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) patients can have a higher incidence of skin cancers. What I would advise, as with any other blood cancer, that any abnormailities or changes in the skin are reported to the Haematology Team caring for you so that they can review and refer if appropriate. Of course all changes in the health are important to relay and this thread will alert others to be observant. Also, this vigilance applies to those patients on and off treatment. We would also advise anyone one who has received chemotherapy and radiotherapy to be very mindful of their skin after treatment has finished, like @Erica said do use SPF 40 + and wear a hat. Please do contact us if you do need any support How to contact Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK Thank you Gemma

3 Likes

Yes, I was told that as an Acute Myeloid Leukaemia patient who has had chemo and a stem cell transplant, I had a 10% chance of getting another cancer in the next 10 (?) years, the most likely one being skin cancer. I intend to still go on sunny holidays, but I won’t be getting a tan. It’ll be Factor 50, covering up, parasols and hats all the way for me. And I won’t look half as wrinkly as I would have! And you can still enjoy the warmth of the air and the sea without sun damage to your skin.

2 Likes

Hi Catcher, i have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and on watch and wait. I had a BCC removed from behind my year 3 years ago. 4 weeks ago i again had to attend Maxillo Facial unit and had a BCC removed from my cheek and a SCC from my forehead. The Consultant did state that having Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) makes more prone to have further skin cancers in the future.
Good luck
Kevin

3 Likes

Hi are you doing now @Kevbecs, look after yourself

Thank you Nurse Gemma. Have now read a number of medical papers on skin cancer link to blood cancer and they all say that regular screening is important. Must say there is no screening at the hospital I attend but I’ll be bringing this up with my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) consultant. Now waiting for the result of my biopsy

3 Likes

They say that there are links between other cancers and the one you already have but hard to tell if it’s due to the cancer’s genetic damage,the treatments or if you would have gotten it anyhow as with most things probably a combination of the three?As I understand it skin cancer is a cancer that originated in the skin cells, melanoma being an example but others like the one I have, Mycosis Fungoides,are actually blood cancers,a lymphoma,but something causes the malignant Mycosis Fungoides cells to gravitate towards the skin where they pool causing unpleasant lessions that look like eczema or psoriasis but turn into tumours.I understand that some leukemia and none cutaneous lymphomas, guessing myeloma too,also cause skin rashes.

2 Likes

Hi I to have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and am on the watch and wait list, my consultant told me to use factor 50 or above on all areas which are subject to the sun, i.e. top of head, cheeks, nose and specifically the top of your ears. He also said take zinc tablets 25/30 mgs per day and vitamin d 10/15 mg per day.

4 Likes

It sounds like you’ve got your head around all of this @Catcher which is very positive. Hope there is a good outcome for you and that your team are able to keep on top of this.

2 Likes

Hi @Russell
Do you happen to know how the zinc helps? I had Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, and have been told to be extremely cautious in the sun - never get a tan etc. And thanks for mentioning higher factor sunscreens - I thought they stopped at F50.
All the best.

2 Likes

The zinc is to support your immune system, in America they have factor 100 suncream, not sure what’s available in the uk. Avon suntan cream is used by the British army, but they only go to 50, hope this helps

3 Likes

Hi the zinc is one of the critical things which supports the immune system, and is one of the critical things to keep high if you immune system is compromised, also magnesium is important as well.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks @Russell. I had a look online and found several Factor 70s available to UK buyers. This is great news to me, as I love a sunny holiday but daren’t take any risks, and so the higher the factor, the better. And I thought perhaps the zinc tablets helped the skin in some way, as it 's often a sunscreen
ingredient, but yes - I remember now it’s one of the immune system essentials. Thank you so much. Although whether anyone will be travelling anywhere in these sad times, is a different matter.

3 Likes