Counting Blessings/Special moments

Okay, so I am one of those shielding, who has been no further than my garden (apart from a hospital stay of a week) since 12th March. Like many of you I have had to empty my diary …a couple of concerts, a holiday to celebrate my husband’s 70th, other celebrations, youngest son coming home for the first time since Christmas to go to the cricket this week…
It is impossible to make plans, BUT…a few weeks ago we had a letter from someone we met on a rail holiday to Eastern Europe eight years back, and we lost contact after a couple of years. It got me thinking that while it may seem that life is on hold, we can at least appreciate some of the things, big or small, that have already happened.
Being the grand old age of 64 I know that there are too many special moments to list but I will share a few
Meeting my husband 44 years ago, getting married 41 years ago and having 3 children (and now 4 grandchildren)

Going on holiday to Crete thirty years ago and unknowingly returning with an extra passenger on board

Being taken on a special weekend to Le Manoir for my 50th birthday, being upgraded to a suite, and enjoying a tour round the kitchen after the chef discussed the menu he was going to prepare for us

Seeing some of my favourite works of art, including the Last Supper in Milan, the Turners in London, Burnes Jones in Birmingham and Botticellis in Florence

Seeing many of my favourite musicians in the Rock and Classical world (Moody Blues, Billy Joel, Eagles, Crowded House, Barenboim, Ashkenazy, Yan Pascal and Paul Tortelier to name a few)

Over to you…

3 Likes

Oh, @Pisces56, you have got me pondering, thinking and reminiscing. My counting blessings/special moments are quite different, yes, having my son, but my others are more achievements that make me feel good that I count as blessings like having 4 jobs at once after my first marriage broke up which meant I was able to pay the mortgage and keep the house. Then being chair of an international organisation for a year and turning it around. Getting a local mayor’s award for services to local government and a London mayors long service award for volunteering, from Boris.
I saw a lot of absolutely brilliant tribute bands at outside concerts sitting in a beautiful amphitheatre, with a lake behind the bands, in the stunning early evenings. We also saw Status Quo at an outside concert in the grounds of a stately home. Just listening to music is always a special moment and spending time with some special friends. I am really missing social interaction whilst shielding.
p.s. the musicians you have seen are brilliant.

2 Likes

@Pisces56 what a lovely idea for a topic, thank you so much for starting this and to you and @Erica for sharing these - what incredible experiences you have had :slight_smile: Looking forward to hearing from others!

2 Likes

Should have been going to see Crowded House next week, 10years after I last saw them, which was my first proper night out after SCT, but they are coming next June instead :heart_eyes: I love all the things you have put…you should be on the honours list!

2 Likes

We have been married 25 years this year and were due to renew our vows and have a big party. This is on hold, but will happen. We have two wonderful children who have been an amazing support.
I teach at a special needs school, which is very rewarding- really missing it as I haven’t been in since November. At the moment I am very grateful for our beautiful garden and our dogs who are great company.

3 Likes

Hi @SP7 What lovely in the moment special moments and you must really miss your special needs youngsters. What plans had you made to renew your vows and the big party?

1 Like

Congratulations on your 25 year wedding anniversary, and enjoy your party wedding when it happens. I don’t know about you, but my 2021 diary is getting busy already with things moved from this year to next (not new plans).
My sister is teaching, and has done through the holidays with key workers children. Since some Y1 children returned she has been teaching them as their teacher is shielding. She is still supporting her Y2 class online, and last week went to visit each of them with her TA to say goodbye and give them a little box of goodies. As you can imagine it was a difficult week.
Enjoy your garden and dogs, and hoping your family are safe. Stay smiling xx

2 Likes

We were going to renew our vows at church and had booked a golf club for 150 people for a disco and buffet. This was to be at the end of August as my sister in law and niece were travelling over from Australia, we were due to have a week in Tuscany together before the party.
Our anniversary is not until October but I am sure we will have to move until sometime next year.

2 Likes

I am working from home, I just completed a phased return over 4 weeks. I am doing some zoom sessions with students and lots of work in preparation for September. Our school has been open all through for some students.

2 Likes

Oh, @SP7, what a disappointment for you all and after all that thought and planning. It will certainly be a talking point in the future.

Hi @SP7 I’m so sorry to hear this, as Erica says after all of that thought and planning, we can only imagine how difficult this is likely to have been, how have you been doing?

2 Likes

I am not too bad thanks. I was worried when my treatment was stopped because I had not quite reached remission. Now I have come to terms with it and know I will be monitored carefully. I find working from home difficult after being off since December, but it is good to have a purpose. My headteacher seems to think I won’t be back into school until after Christmas, which is a bit of a depressing thought.

1 Like

Hi @SP7. It is interesting that your head teacher does not think you will be back till after Christmas, at least it takes the pressure off you and who knows what the future will be. However it is interesting that as you say it is a bit of a depressing thought, but we will support you through whatever happens and you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you need support. We have been shielding for a long while now and I can feel the toll and perhaps you can. Please let us know how you are doing?

1 Like

Ooh this is a lovely idea @Pisces56. I think this situation has helped lots of people realise how much they have to be grateful for - something many of us blood cancer peeps had already learnt.

You’ve had some lovely experiences @Pisces56 and wow @Erica so many fantastic achievements. @SP7 I’m so sorry you’ve had to cancel your party. Hopefully you will be able to rearrange it for next year and it will be even bigger and better! My wedding anniversary is also in October - 10 years behind you!

One of my favourite experiences was going to Disney last year. It was an end of treatment celebratory trip and it was amazing. It’s also been a really wonderful memory to turn to over the last few weeks when things have been tough.

2 Likes

I remember you taking this trip with your family. So well deserved for your boys after what H went through. I hope you are managing to deal with family events during the past months xx

1 Like

Hi @MrsGriff, yes, I also remember your so well deserved Disney trip. I remember going when my son was15 and he and I just went on ride after ride all day and I had to go to a business dinner with my husband in the evening. I had to escape to the loo as I felt so, so disorientated and unwell at one point. That was the time I also, sober honestly, walked into a closed balcony door and broke a nail trying to remove a my curling tongs plug from the adaptor in the socket. A good time was had by all. How has lockdown been for you?

1 Like

I have spent a lot of time looking through old photographs and reliving happy memories, it’s quite therapeutic. We have also been lucky that our son has transformed the end of our garden whilst he has been off work. It was just concrete and we never used it much but he has laid a new patio and some artificial grass. He also lifted am old path and replaced it with new grass.

2 Likes

Are you like me, still preferring physical photos rather than just having them on the computer? How lovely to have part of your garden made over. We just need the sun to return so that you can enjoy it more.

1 Like

Wow, @SP7, what a gem of a son to have a son to transform your garden. I always think if you get a really good feeling every time you look out of your window it is such a bonus and practically it also sounds a great improvement.
I also really like your idea of sorting out your photos, it’s one of my to do list (for a very long time) and I would enjoy doing it and going down Memory Lane and get a sense of achievement. that’s a win-win for me. Thanks so much for giving us the thought. Take care.

2 Likes

Hi @SP7 how are you? Wow! the garden sounds lovely, a big well done to your son’s handy work :smiley:

@Erica ah agreed Erica! it’s always so lovely going down memory lane, and recalling found memories, and remembering everything associated with it during that time :smiley:

3 Likes