Covid and Non Hodgkins Follicular Lymphoma

Hi, my husband has Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and, up until 6 days ago, had managed to avoid getting Covid. However, he came down with symptoms last Sunday, and tested positive on Tuesday. I have now got it too. We had a letter some time ago saying he was possibly eligible for antiviral drugs if he got Covid and were sent a PCR test to keep at home. So when his lateral flow test was positive on Tuesday, we sent off the PCR and the results came back the next day with a positive result. The letter had said that a medical practioner would contact him within 24 hours of the positive test, but so far, 48 hours later, no one has contacted. I beleive that if antiviral drugs were appropriate, they have to be given in the first 5 days. Its now 6 days and he is still just as ill but its too late for the drugs.

I just wondered if anyone has had problems like this.

My husband also has an extremely painful throat. He can hardly swallow to eat or drink, although ice cold drinks seem to help. I know a sore throat is symptom of Covid now but he says his soreness isn’t directly in his throat, its further down his oesophegus.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this kind of soreness. I have Covid now too, and I don’t have a sore throat at all.

I shall look forward to any help, support or advice that anyone can spare.

Thank you so much,

Mandy.

1 Like

Dear @Mandypandy, I am very sorry to hear that you both have COVID. As your husband tested positive on Tuesday there is still time to get assessed for anti-virals via the COVID medicines delivery unit (CMDU). I would encourage you to call 111, your GP or your Haematology team today (asap) to ask for your husband to be referred by the CMDU as he is a Blood Cancer patient who is immunosuppressed. Here is our advice: Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK.
Please let us know how you get on or call us if you need advice: How to contact Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK. Take care Gemma

1 Like

Thankyou so much for your reply Gemma.

Someone from the Covid ward at our local hospital phoned John yesterday and said he should have registered his lateral flow test on the Covid app instead of waiting for the PCR test to come back because now he was past the cut off for having any antiviral medication. This is because his symptoms started 2 days before his positive test. Its all very disappointing really. John didn’t register on the app as he had got rid of the app from his phone ages ago. We didn’t realise this was still being used for anything. I’m not sure what people do who don’t have a phone with the app on. We feel very let down by the system. But the good news is that John is feeling a bit better this morning. The medic who phoned him advised him to take paracetamol every 4 hours for his throat, which is still very sore, and that because he is slightly improved, he will probably be ok. I had wrongly assumed that when we submittd the PCR test and it was positive that antiviral drugs would be given straight away. Its difficult to know what we could have done differently really.

Thank you again for your advice. I will have a look at the links you have sent in case we need any further help.

Many thanks,
Mandy.

Hi Mandy,
Thanks so much for keeping us posted on this and indeed sharing your husbands experience. Its good news to hear he is somewhat better. May i ask how he is feeling today?
Can i ask how many days after his symptoms was he contacted by the medic from the ( CMDU)?
It certainly is good advise to keep on with the regular paracetamol but please do know that should he become unwell again- so not hesitate to contact his GP, out of hours ( 111) & his haematology team should he still be under one.
Incase it is helpful to you both for future, our webpage here talks more about the process when you test positive for covid. If the guidance changes on this in the future- this page is where we will update- Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK.
Also know our support line is always on hand should you ever need support or wish to talk anything through- 0808 2080 888.

Do Take Care, Lauran

From what I have heard from others, your experience is not unique @Mandypandy . It was great to see that there was this big plan for dealing with circumstances where someone on the vulnerable list got Covid, but it’s a shame that they didn’t share the plan with everyone involved and it’s all been so chaotic. Hope this comes out ok for you and let us know how you are.