Does anyone else cry more than they used to?

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether it’s just me or if anyone else feels more emotional about all kinds of things during/after their diagnosis. I was always someone who would cry when sad things happened, but now I cry at happy things too and I cry when other people cry, even if I don’t know them! Am I just weird, or do others feel like that too? x

3 Likes

Hi, I don’t think you are weird at all, I am definitely more emotional at and with everything post diagnosis. I also do not deal with what personally stresses me as well now and all quickly go to it being all too much for me and wanting to burst into tears and duvet dive till it all goes away. I was diagnosed in 2003 and I am still like it. Great question and I would also like to hear from others?

2 Likes

Morning Emma. I think I have certainly become more in tune with my feelings, although I was always quite emotional. I also find that I am not as tolerant as I used to be. If someone can’t be bothered, neither can I. I have learnt how to say ‘no’ whereas I would get myself into knots just so I didn’t have to let someone down. I was annoyed last week as I felt I was being mucked about by my garage (which is normally excellent) and I rang and asked to speak to the manager. When told he was on annual leave I blew, then kept apologising because the problem wasn’t with the receptionist. She was fantastic. When I got to the garage she had sorted everything and gave me a big hug because she was sorry that i had been so upset. My friend couldn’t believe that I had acted the way i had, as it was so unusual.

3 Likes

Hi Emma,
I call them ‘good to be alive moments’.
Just watching the birds in the garden, or a piece of music. The Cold Play track strong text

3 Likes

Hello again Emma,
Lost the text thingy! The Coldplay track ‘Viva la Vida’ was on the radio whilst I was in solitary after receiving my SCT & I still love it but my husband hates it. I love it because I survived & he hates it because it takes him back to watching me fight to survive.
We are strange beings because over time we become complacent & forget these emotions. I’m 10yrs post SCT now.
However, when my Grandson was born 16 weeks ago, did I cry? I blubber like a baby. That’s what I fought for, to see my family grow up & be there for everyone.
Just enjoy those moments.
All the very best.
Christine

5 Likes

Hi Christine. My husband’s track which always reminds him of my struggle is ’ November Rain’ Guns and Roses. We always laugh when we remember that when I was having chemo and blood tests The Verve “The drugs don’t work” and Leona Lewis “Keep bleeding (love)” were always on the radio on the ward. Especially apt as the drugs weren’t working and they always had trouble getting blood out of me!
Seven years ago when I was told that I was going to be a granny (the day I did RFL with my daughter) was a real turning point in my recovery, as I wanted to be around for a long time for him. I now have 3 grandchildren, with another expected in February, and I cried each time I held them in my arms for the first time. I feel I am the luckiest woman alive

3 Likes

I’ve always been a bit of an emotional person, but I think going through something as huge as cancer treatment (even when, as in my case, it’s not you going through it, but a family member) changes the way you look at the world. I think it heightens emotions, good and bad. I am a much more empathic person now and definitely so much more appreciative of everything. I cry even more easily now so you’re definitely not weird to me!

3 Likes

Aw Christine, I love that way of looking at those moments, it’s so true. I suppose expressing them is all about being human and feeling emotion as part of that :blush:

2 Likes

That’s a really good point Lisa, I am much more appreciative too and I definitely have more empathy! Maybe it’s better to just embrace it and always carry tissues :blush:

3 Likes

Those tracks really were apt Louise! It’s really special when you can find humour during those awful times. I’m with you there, I feel very lucky :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi Emma,
No it’s not just you.
I am massively more emotional than I used to be.
I never used to get upset at TV programs or movies, but now I do (a lot), especially if they include someone losing a loved one.
I’m also more appreciative of the little things that most people take for granted.

4 Likes

It’s good to know I’m not the only one :blush: Maybe it’s better to feel more and embrace our human emotions.

5 Likes

Hi, Emma and @Nickmarks57 I agree so much with both of you, please keep posting you emotions.

1 Like

I cry loads more than ever too! I’m extremely sensitive about what I watch in TV and in movies, and end up watching comedies and avoiding the news!
I think it is because I feel so vulnerable…
Wishing you all the best x

1 Like

Hi Corrina. I must admit that I find the news depressing. I am sure that in the dim and distant past they used to finish the late news with a happy or humorous story so that people wouldn’t go to bed worrying. It is no wonder that more people (including children) are suffering depression. We need more comedies like “Fools and Horses” and “The Good Life”. Take care of yourself xx

2 Likes

Oh, Corrina and @Pisces56 I so agree with both of you. I saw a couple of episodes of Yes, Prime Minister recently and they were so apt today it was spooky and I love the clever scripts. I find myself having my 5 penny worth talking to the TV when the news is on. I certainly do not deal with what personally stresses me well now. After waiting ages in a queue for my prescription it was not ready for me to collect…….again and I found myself nearly in tears walking home.

2 Likes