Essential thrombocythemia

I have Essential thrombocythemia (ET) and on a recent V section I mentioned I’d had the 1st of a 2 part shingles vaccine. The nurse was alarmed and said she would check as normally blood cancer patients shouldn’t have a shingles vaccine! Im expecting a call to confirm but none have arrived so far. Anyone on here knows the situation please🙏

1 Like

I am not a medical person at all but I have had the Shingrix vaccination @AnnieH . It is non live vaccination and given in 2 parts and suitable for us.
It has only been available for a couple of years or so, so often not known about.
I believe the shingles vaccine is only given in one vaccination.
However I stress this is a non medical response, but my and my husbands experiences
Perhaps check it out with whoever gave it to you.
I hope it gets sorted, please let us know and take care of yourself

1 Like

Hi @Annie,
I hope you’re doing okay?
It sounds like the nurse perhaps has gotten confused by the different types of vaccines available.

@Erica has accurately explained the difference and the fact that you have received a vaccine which is given in 2 doses is really reassuring as it does mean this will be the correct one for you (shingrix) as the other vaccine ( Zostavax), for those who are not classed as immunocompromised is only given in 1 dose.
In case it further reassures you I have linked here to some NHS guidance around the vaccines that are available - Shingles vaccine - NHS (www.nhs.uk).

If at any point you would rather talk things through do know that we are only a phone call away- 0808 2080 888.

Take care, Lauran

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reassurance. Yes I was given shingrix, a 2 part vaccine.

Thanks again
Ann

1 Like