ET treatment or not?

Hi @jumbo4, lockdown doesn’t bother me either, I worry that I am too comfortable with it !!
I am noticing a few people on here have now had the vaccine, have you been offered it yet, I await the call?
We are supporting each other on this forum with our thoughts and feelings and if you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.

I had the vaccine just before Christmas and was told I would get another one in the first week of January but of course it was postponed so I am still only had one. I have been fortunate so far in my ET symptoms but now I feel much more fatigued. Then I remember that I am in my early 80s. So maybe it isn’t caused by the ET!

1 Like

Hi @jumbo4 perhaps, it is worth asking someone on your medical team about your suddenly feeling of increased fatigue and say what they say.
As for your second vaccine perhaps it has something to do with the government changing their guidelines in order to vaccinate more of the population, I don’t know. It might be worth checking it out with your GP surgery.
Let us know how you are feeling and any updates you might have, you are just a spring chicken.

@jumbo4 I wouldn’t worry too much about not getting your second dose straight away as that seems to be the case for everyone now. You will get a lot of benefit from your first dose and as more of us get vaccinated, life will become safer for us all.

1 Like

Hi Erica

Sorry I have not replied there is a lot going on at the moment. I myself have returned to my home because of Covid restrictions . I am trying to keep up my exercise but not so easy here . My eating regime is going well with a few hiccups :grinning:
I have basically been trying to eat and drink what helps keep my platelets low?
Pomegranates , dark chocolate, fish , fruit and veg that contain ‘salicylate. Cucumber, mushrooms , radish etc.
But more than that a positive mind .
I am feeling well at present so I hope to continue like this . I am looking forward to my blood test in March to see if I have managed to lower my platelets count . I will of course update you once I know . Keep safe everybody and stay positive :+1:

1 Like

Great to hear from you @Macymae123, I am impressed with your eating routine.
Do you think that your diet makes you feel better and do you think it helps your mindset?
It is a pity that it is more difficult for you to exercise.
Please keep letting us know how you are.
How are others doing with the diets and lifestyle?

You sound in a very healthy place @Macymae123 in more ways than one. I really envy you your approach as I’m a weakling and cave in to junk food at the slightest excuse. Good look with the next blood test and let us know how it goes.

1 Like

Hi Erica

I have just received notification for my Covid jab :+1: I am having it on Friday . Apprehensive but pleased I’m having it. For all on here I will update my progress. I’m 69 so I was expecting it but not so soon.

Frances.

1 Like

Hi Franco
Thank you . It’s hard work but I can’t let it beat me. I have just received my appointment for my Covid vaccine this Friday . I will update the site with how it went etc. Try to keep positive . :+1:

Frances

1 Like

Yes, @Macymae123, good news and please let us know how you get on.

He everybody

I have Essential Thrombocythaemia. I am doing well at the moment and I’m taking just one Asprin a day. I had my First Covid Vacine this morning which was the PFIZER one.
It was a really good experience. On arrival I was asked for my name and DOB . Then I was given a card with my details on and was taken to another room. Here they had 5 booths and I was directed to one of them.
I was asked if I was on any blood thinning drugs, and if I was allergic to anything.
After answering the questions I was told which vacine I was having and that I would need another in 12 weeks time. They explained any side affects I may suffer. The injection did not hurt at all. I was then given a sticker for my jacket to show what time I could leave the holding area. I was then taken to another room to wait for 15 mins to make sure I had no side affects.
Very well organised and social distancing was adhered at all times.
Hope this helps if you are waiting for your injection.
Frances

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing! It’s so good to hear it all went smoothly for you and that you’ve had your jab!

1 Like

This is for everyone who commented about my having to wait for a second Covid jab. I learned today that I can have it I. 2 days time, ! I have also had more blood results for my ET. The dose of hydeoxycarbamide is always a bit too much for the haemoglobin to keep constant and just a bit too little to keep the platelets in check. I know there have been trials with the idea of using something else as well as haemoglobin ( something that doesn’t reduce Hb). But the consultant says no.
Incidentally, what do people mean by saying they are ET and JAk2 but triple negative? It is that last bit I don’t understand. Jumbo4

1 Like

Hope you’re doing okay @jumbo4 , it’s good to hear you’ve got your second dose booked!

MPN’s with no clear mutations (in other words, they test negative for the JAK2, MPL and CALR genes), are referred to as triple negative.
If you need any clarity whatsoever around your individual circumstances, we’d really encourage you to speak to your treatment team. Pages 36, 37 and 41 of our MPN booklet talk about these genes, as does this webpage from MPN Voice - Essential thrombocythaemia (ET) – MPN Voice.
Please do feel free to give us a call on 0808 2080 888, if you would like to talk things through with us or if there’s anything we can do to support you.

1 Like