Eyesite loss after AML treatment

Hi in Nov in 2018 I was told I had Acute Myeloid Leukaemia with a FLT mutation, I went strait into the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Had chemo with Mylotarg a new drug from America. At the end of my 4 sessions of chemo I then had a year on Midaustrin also a brand new drug. I was 73 when told about my Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, I am now nearly 76. The only side affect I have is my eyesight, when I read a book each side of my eyes are a blur and it is difficult to concentrate, I also have floating lines coming down in fron of my eyes, does anyone else have these symptoms. Thanks all

1 Like

A great big welcome @Jan09, no, luckily I haven’t had your nasty eyesight problems.
I wonder what your optician or consultant says?
Perhaps your consultant should be told as you say you have been on very new drugs.
I was actually due to see the optician when we went into lockdown 18 mths ago, so I am long overdue an eye test.
I hope others might have more hopeful experiences.
If you would like to talk to someone at the Blood Cancer UK support line their details are above.
I look forward to hearing about about you and look after yourself.

Hello there. I had Acute Myeloid Leukaemia nearly 31 years ago, and I had a similar experience with the lines and eventual onset of cataracts. it wasn’t until just this year that I finally had them corrected. It’s been great since then, took literally 5 minutes on each side. The lines and swirlies though, not gone away (not did I think that the procedure would help that though LOL). You are strong, love it! Hope this is helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @CoCo and welcome to our forum and you have already helped by sharing your experiences.
I hope that you will find the forum helpful and supportive, I do.
I look forward to hearing more about you.
Look after yourself.

1 Like

Hi @Jan09 Wecome to the forum!
I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this worrying time. If you still have concerns we’d really encourage you to go back and see your GP, consultant and/or optician to get a second opinion.
Would you like to talk things through over the phone with us?
Please do give us a call if so, we’d be very happy to talk it through with you and support you wherever we can.

Best Wishes, Lauran

2 Likes

aww thanks! :-). Happy to help. My experience back then was experimental and extreme, with many complications. God has blessed me with a wonderful life so it 's lovely to be able to share. Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh @CoCo I so agree with you I count myself a very lucky girl.
Take lots of care of yourself and I really do look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like