FlagIDA treatment

Hi
I’m new to this particular group and would generally like to hear of anybody else’s experiences within a similar situation. My husband was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia just before new year and has been in hospital since except for 2 weekends home.
He had D&A chemo to start with and we were told not a problem to get to remission it was keeping him there that would be the problem. However 2 weeks ago we were told D&A hadn’t worked so they would be trying something else.
Monday just fine he started FLAGIDA with Venetoclax and so far he’s shown all the “markers” they have stated I.e days 4&5 will be worse with side effects and yesterday told no white blood cells in blood.

Has anybody else been down this path to try and get to Stem cell transplant?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Furbabymummy and welcome to the forum. It sounds as though the last couple of months have been difficult for your husband, and I can imagine yourself as well. It must be really tough not having him at home and seeing him poorly. How are you both managing? Is the hospital close to where you live?
I hope others on here will be able to share their experiences.
Please take care X

2 Likes

Hi @Furbabymummy a great big welcome to our forum and I cannot imagine what it has been like for you both over the last couple of months, you must be exhausted emotionally, physically and practically.
If you would like to speak to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line are there for you on 0808 2080 888.
The question you ask is really best asked of your husbands medical team because we are all special unique individuals and a medical team take so many different things into account before offering treatments like other conditions, medications, allergies, age, other symptoms etc.
It must be horrible for you on so many levels and probably feeling so out of control to make your husband better.
Have you got any support and help?
You have now goy us on here and someone might be able to share their experiences.
Please keep posting as I would like to hear more about you.
Look after yourself and be ever so kind to yourself

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia 2 years ago. Had the first round of chemo which didn’t get me into remission. Gave me FlagIDA as the second. Side affects were bad but got me into remission. Had a stem cell transplant 17 months ago and fully recovered now.

2 Likes

Hi @Muzza what a 2 yrs you have had but it is really good news that you are fully recovered now.
Look after yourself and please keep posting.