Going into isolation?

Hello all,

So my OH has got a bone marrow match! And he’ll be in isolation for about 5 or 6 weeks, what do you need to pack for such a long time in hospital? I’m not going to be able to visit him much because of the costs involved travelling to the hospital, so it’ll need to be things that’ll last for a while.

Thanks.

2 Likes

My husband had his transplant early June and is recovering in hospital. First, it may be possible for the hospital to offer you accommodation on site to facilitate regular visits. This isn’t something we have utilised but I am aware of its availability at our hospital for transplants so worth looking into if this might help you.

Plenty of clothing - hospitals can tend to be warmer so factor this in. Wash bag, with spare tooth brushes etc.

Home comforts - iPad, chargers, things to do if he feels up to it.

Snacks & drinks - we took in dried snacks / cereal / nuts etc, and lots of water and different drink options.

We go every couple of days to see him and to take his washing home to wash and take him some fresh food options as he doesn’t always fancy what the NHS offers.

I think he has spent a lot of time day dreaming & napping so he’s needed less things than I anticipated he would.

1 Like

Find out if he has a fridge in his room. If so, can you stock him up with some easy to eat options? There has been a period of 7-10 days where my husbands throat was sore. He relied on snoothies, yoghurt, easy to eat liquid items.

1 Like

Toilet roll
Wipes
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Dressing gown
Radio
Headphones
Spray
Metal straw
Puzzle books
Deck of cards
Mouthwash
Long charging cables
Phone stand
Slippers/crocs
Socks thin and thick
Slipper socks
Lounge wear
Your own pillow (this maybe just me)
Travel games
A burner phone - old school phone that’s for calls, battery last ages and not a major problem if it’s falls and less attractive to sticky fingers. Also if you get a 1 month sim he can turn his normal phone off if constant calls are bothering him but you can still contact him. You can pick them up for around £25 with £10 credit included.

Case for your glasses if he wears them
Wet/dirty clothes bag

If you have grandkids or kids something for them too if they visit - but maybe worth asking them to bring this

Think I maybe getting confused with what to take on holiday/airport lol :joy:

2 Likes

What kind of spray?

No other family only me . I got little bottles of concentrated squash, soft sweet mini fruit loaves, I’m trying to avoid too many sugary foods and he doesn’t eat nuts, he won’t read anything, I’m looking into a unlimited SIM card so he can use an iPad to watch tv (iPlayer type) and make calls home.

I was thinking about buying him a large flask because he’s a big tea drinker and they’re not gonna make him tea on demand. Maybe an obliging volunteer could fill it for him if I supply the teabags!

I wish I could get information about the specific hospital then I’d know what he’s going to have in his room some even have a telly, but thats against the rules and I don’t want to bother anyone at the hospital until he’s got an admission date.

I know hospitals have rooms for parents of children who are inpatients but even though I get treat like one I’m not and I’m only about 3 miles away from the hospital. Problem is I’m disabled and can’t use public transport and taxis cost a fortune.

I’ll look into a longer iPad cable. I’ve got rechargeable Bluetooth headphones he can use.

Anything else anyone can think of?

2 Likes

Congratulations @Hellodolly on finding a bone marrow match for your OH! That’s fantastic news.
Never been in this position but here’s what I would think about:

Comfy Clothes: loose-fitting pyjamas, sweatshirts, and pants for at least 5-6 weeks
Entertainment: Since visits might be limited, pack a variety of things to keep him occupied. Books, audiobooks, a tablet loaded with movies/shows, and crossword puzzles are all great options, a pen or two.
Toiletries: Pack enough of his usual toiletries to last the entire stay. Hospital-provided ones might be basic. Don’t forget lip balm, lotion, and flushable loo wipes for extra comfort.
Communication: A phone charger and a portable charger are essential. You can also check if the hospital offers Wi-Fi access?Comfort Items: Pack a comfortable pillow, a soft blanket, or a treasured photo to help him feel more at home.

• Ask about laundry facilities or if there are any restrictions on what he can bring.
  • Label everything: This will help prevent things from getting lost in the hospital.
  • Pack for boredom: Download some games on his phone or tablet, bring a journal, or adult coloring books.
  • Prepare a few small care packages to be delivered throughout his stay. Include things like his favourite snacks, a new book, or ice lollies on warm days, daily newspaper or magazines?
1 Like

How can I add to @Rammie18 response @Hellodolly.
Recently I have had to have a lot of tests, blood tests and scans etc. and I have found loose clothing, elasticated waists, short sleeved loose fitting tee shirts, no metal bits, jumpers when you feel cold.
It’s making it as easy as possible when your OH might be feeling rough or have no energy to struggle with clothes.
For me extra strong mints and something to suck.
If you have little ones around some people like a book of stamps and little age appropriate notelets, birthday cards etc. to send to them, you might pre address them for your OH
A note pad and pencil/pens
Don’t forget Skype/ Zoom meetings etc…
xx

1 Like