Help with inpatient stay

So things have gone down hill for me a little emotionally. My consultant has said he now doesn’t think I should leave untill my wbc are back in normal range due to coronavirus however he is willing to let me leave 2 days later than he said but a week before my chemo finishes and finish as an outpatient but it’s not his first choice. He has said he will leave it up to me.

I just feel like my chances of contracting coronavirus as an outpatient are similar to that as an inpatient for me. As my mum is self isolating in preparation of me coming home, and I would drive the two min distance to the hospital and the hospital would strictly enforce ppe and social distancing for all visitors. Here on the ward there are people in and out of my room all day and I can’t guarantee they have not been out to restaurants and/or have children and such.

I understand that I have to be extremely careful but I just feel like I will recover better at home and whilst he has to look after my physical wellbeing I have to survive this mentally and emotionally too.

But I’m worried about annoying my team too.

Am I wrong?

1 Like

Hi @nbk112, perhaps I am learning that I feel better about myself if I say my needs otherwise I feel yukky about myself, but the choice is yours. Let us know what you decide.

I think you have to listen to your team and make an informed decision. Only you can decide what’s best for you. Keep us updated x

1 Like

Hi Niki, how are you doing? Did you and your consultant come to a decision around this? I do hope you’re doing well.

1 Like

I was let go on the Sunday 4th and finished chemo on the 11th. However yesterday I was taken into hospital again with severe uterine bleeding and my FBC come back with a raised CPR. They have took blood cultures peripherally and from my picc line to test for infection. They also took a chest X ray which came back clear and an abdo CT to check the bleeding. They have said that whilst they can see bleeding in my CT scan they couldn’t see anything pointing to infection. They also took a water sample to test for uti. All these cultures take 48hrs to be reported on. My mouth was hurting last week so I was started on penicillin which was making it start to feel better. I think the infection may be in my wisdom tooth.

Does anyone have any experience with being admitted for IV antibiotics? Such as how long you were in for and what kinds of things they looked for before letting you go?

Also does anyone have any experience with having a wisdom tooth infection whilst neutropenic?

1 Like

Hi @nbk112, gosh you must have and be going though a scary, horrible time of it. I also know your feelings about going into hospital.
I cannot help medically but we are all here to support you and if you would like to talk to someone the support line is there for you. Please let us know how you get on and take lots of special care of yourself.

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve had to go back in. Hopefully if anyone on here has been through something similar they can share their experience, I’ve pinned the topic to the top so that people can see it easily. Take care and remember we’re only at the end of the phone.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t help more with the medical questions but hopefully somebody on the forum can help you a little more. Sending lots of special wishes. Take care of yourself and keep us updated on how you are getting on.

2 Likes

Hi @nbk112

I’m sorry to hear you’re having such a tough time at the moment. I suffer from myleodysplasia and have particular issues with low white blood cell and neutrophil counts. I’ve also had a few spells in hospital when I required IV antibiotics. Typically I was discharged about 24 hours after the treatment finished and they were happy the infection was under control.

I hope things settle down for you soon and you get home again.

All the best, Peter

2 Likes

Has anyone had experience with their CRP rate decreasing quickly then just stopping? My CRP was shooting down at first however now it’s stalling at 65 and my consultant won’t switch me to oral antibiotics unless it’s less than 50.

2 Likes

Hi @nbk112, so sorry I cannot help you, but take care.

How have you been getting on @nbk112? Really hope you’re doing well.

3 Likes