How are people feeling during this festive season?

Hi @GrandmaJo let’s be honest festivities, entertaining and being the hostest with the mostest is mentally, practically and physically exhausting and I find by the time the guests arrive my fatigue and low energy levels are really setting in and what should be enjoyable is a complete struggle.
I realise that your brother in law deserves a break and to be looked after, but I should think you do too.
You rant away as much as you like, I bet others feel like you and I too.
I honestly do not know how you do it, you are a star.

1 Like

How shall I spend Christmas -alone same as last year. Not able to visit daughters and grandchildren again one in US and other son in law a busy medic in Covid prevalent area of Germany. Fortunate to see a couple of friends also having to be very careful over Christmas period. How will I cope? brisk dog walls lots of Zoom, TV and perhaps some wine. Oh and a few mental trips back to the lively Christmases of earlier years to remind myself that “this time too must pass”

2 Likes

Oh @Ismo you must miss your daughters and family.
I think you are making the most of what you can do over Christmas and I hadn’t thought about it but yes, thank you my mind will also be thinking of the good times of Christmas past and this time will pass.
We will also be here for each other on the forum.

1 Like

Must admit Christmas has mixed feelings
.optimism that I’m doing ok and feeling fine. I’ve bought the presents .I’vegot the tree but just want a quiet one…
If I… being honest just want to.lock myself away and wake up then it’s sping but that isn’t something I can do…
Bit of mixed blessings but compared with what others face I know I’m lucky…

1 Like

I know what you mean @Hmc63, it is with mixed feelings isn’t it.
I remember in the autumn thinking that I would be back at my Pilates class in January.
at the latest and then now that is probably out of the window.
I don’t want to hibernate and wake up in the spring with the media saying that we have been in a Covid pandemic for 2 years. That’s 2 years I have lost out of my life in effect.
But I also realise that I am a very lucky girl.
Look after yourself

2 Likes

Hi there, I was obviously starting a bug the other day when I vented. After a week of aches and pains, headache etc I have bounced back. My positive attitude has re-emerged. Sometimes you just feel low and do not recognise it as illness. I have sometimes been told by my consultant “ I see you have not been well by your blood test” and I am surprised and then it all falls into place. Taking it easy and staying cosied up now until Christmas is thus weeks plan.

3 Likes

Hi @Erica , you’ve really summed up what I’ve been thinking as well. My husband and I have just started getting out and about a bit, following his radiotherapy finishing and getting his third dose and my booster jab last month.
I also had the same thought as you that in March it will mean two years of living this restrictive life. We had planned to be very cautious anyway over Christmas with more people being around over the school holidays. However now resuming days out and meeting people is unknown again as we don’t know what will happen in January. Happy Christmas to you and your husband. Take care

1 Like

Well it looks like the 4th really strange Christmas in a row for me. All things being equal I’d be staying with my sister in Birmingham, but she is currently on a high dose of chemo for lung cancer and can’t walk so staying with her is not an option. The other two siblings haven’t got room. There was some discussion about staying with one them and having Christmas dinner at my sister’s but I don’t think that’s practical especially as she needs to mix with as few people as possible to avoid any infection. It won’t be so bad in London as my landlord is cooking Christmas dinner again which was fun last year and felt quite Christmassy. I’m doing my best to fill the coming days with good things and Christmas meals in various settings as well as New Year with friends in Nottingham as I know 2022 is going to be very tough. As well as my sister’s situation which I suspect is going to deteriorate quite badly in the next few months, my paraprotein level has started rising again which means that 2022 is likely to be the end of my remission for Myeloma and we also have a great deal of job uncertainty due to the financial situation where I work. One month at a time I guess…

2 Likes

Wow, @Franko you have so much going on, please keep up updated about your health and your sisters.
We are always here for you and will be over the festive period, look after yourself and enjoy your meals

Hello there @Franko, one month at a time is very sensible with all that you have going on. As @Erica said if you do need any support please do remember we are also here Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK along side all the wonderful Forum members. Take care Gemma

1 Like

It is disappointing for sure that the Omicron variant has spread so close to Christmas. One of our (adult) sons has tested positive for Covid - and thankfully doesn’t seem too unwell - so regretfully we won’t be able to see him at all, and that decision has been made for us. I think we might be able to see the other two (booster-jabbed and LFT’d, if all negative) with windows and doors open (and thermals on) but otherwise it will be spent quietly with my husband who deserves a shout-out for being very uncomplaining. I love cooking and before the pandemic, I wasn’t much of a TV watcher so this is still a novelty that I now enjoy.

Thank you @Alice_BloodCancerUK for the useful BCUK blogs which I have been reading via Twitter. They are so helpful. Up until now I have shielded completely, apart from walks and seeing a few friends and family outdoors, so this feels very ‘daring’ to be planning on seeing the boys at all…however we had a strange Christmas 2019 due to a close family member being in hospital so we’ve made the decision that it is right for us to risk this.

The news about covid-specific anti virals and other treatments that may be able to be sent out home if any of us test positive is heartening, as long as the roll-out isn’t as chaotic as obtaining a 3rd vaccine.

As an old(ish) person I can make my peace with all this but my heart goes out to younger people@Limidi and others.

It is wonderful having this online community as everyone on here ‘gets it’ which not everyone does.

Wishing the very best to everyone as we all work out our cautious celebrations or put plans on hold.

2 Likes

@coastgirl, We’re so sorry to hear your son is feeling poorly and your Christmas plans won’t be as expected. I think you’ve summed this year up really well and many households will be making really difficult decisions yet again. I do wish you a very happy Christmas and hope your family continue to stay well & safe.

1 Like

I too am totally fed up with being unwell with Polycythaemia vera (PV) and the other ailments that my body seems to delight in coming up with. The upside is I am alive, I have a very supportive caring family who will bring Christmas to us on Christmas Day. I suspect this isn’t the last Covid Christmas we will have, I don’t think it will disappear any time soon. We are each responsible for managing the covid risk for ourselves. We just have to accept that life as we knew it has gone and get on with creating a safe environment and make as much use of online/ zoom as we can and only interact face to face with those who we trust to keep us safe. Forums like this are so supportive and welcoming. May I wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and a healthier New Year. We can and must get through it, i have a venesection due straight after Boxing Day, I may have to drown my dread in Sherry and mulled wine, and comfort eat mince pies, lemon paradise and pavlova, if you feel down, throw a Pity Party!
Marylin

2 Likes

Hi @Marylin I will bring some more mince pies and a tin of Roses chocolates ,if you will share your lemon paradise and pavlova !!!
Sherry and mulled wine sounds a lethal concoction to me, enjoy
Yes, an open invite to have an impromptu pity party seems good to me.
Family are priceless especially if they bring Christmas to you.
Yes, we will be on the forum every day.

Another thought for the Christmas period - grateful for this friendly forum with focused advice from Blood Cancer UK when needed and understanding and company from others affected by a blood cancer. When i was first diagnosed i went on a site dealing with Leukaemia which was full of people advising each other what to do or stating how quickly they had achieved remission. My Medic son in law forbade me to access it saying quite rightly if you want medical advice ask a medic not an unknown pseudonym on a internet site. This forum is quite different, expert information from BCUK when needed and friendly support from others glad I found it. Merry Christmas!

3 Likes

Hi Erica
I only like the purple wrapped Brazil nut chocs. It is 7.30am and I am in my chair writing this listening to carols on classic fm, thinking about getting a coffee and some toast and my favourite dark delicious Oxford marmalade. Surrounded by colourful cards and Christmas lights. All is well in my world for 5 minutes, touch wood! Hope yours is ok too. Marylin

1 Like

Hi

I feel happy as this year I can see family but scared at the same time. I am 16 months post transplant came off immune suppression about 3 months ago. I had no antibodies until I had my third vaccination and with a booster due early Jan I’m wondering what immunity I have left. Part of my family have offered to do lateral flows before we meet inside and have been regularly tested but one is not yet able to have the booster yet. The rest have all had their covid boosters. I asked for window to be open find it difficult as they are not vulnerable so working going to shops etc me and my partner have just stayed in last few weeks when omicron started and before we only gone out to outside places where there is plenty of room and met up with only close family. I don’t want to make them feel awkward either. I feel bad for my partner who hasn’t seen them for few months. With omicron numbers still rising I’m scared lateral flow test might not pick it up. Am I’m being over the top I don’t know

1 Like

Hello @Lo1, it is totally normal to worry about all that is happening with COVID right now. It sounds like you are making wise decisions regarding your health and I am sure your family and friends will understand this. We have a really useful page on the website regarding the Omicron variant and managing risk Omicron and coping with risk and uncertainty | Blood Cancer UK and I would say, whatever decisions you make you must feel comfortable as you have clearly been through a lot of treatment and you deserve to be able to enjoy this time. If you do need to talk please do contact the Support Services Team Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK Take care Gemma

1 Like

All is well with me too.
We could get on well, I am not keen on the Brazil nut choccies so you could have them and I will have the rest !!!
Stay in the moment and enjoy.