Husband being dismissed by work

well. it happened. he was dismissed for not returning to work when their own occupational health dept said he couldn’t because it wouldn’t be safe.

he reminded them it was blood cancer awareness week and they had the grace to sound apologetic. 47 years. no days off until diagnosed with WM and this is how you’re treated.

we have decided to sell up and retire asap. "cuse language but sod 'em all.

3 Likes

Hi @Parrotperson

We’re so sorry to hear this, we can only imagine how difficult this must be for you both- especially as you say- it sounds like he was so committed to the job and incredibly hardworking.

It seems like there’s so much for you both to process too as you look ahead, I know you mentioned selling up and retiring. @Parrotperson How has it been for you, taking this all in?

Look after yourself and please do keep reaching out for support,
Su

3 Likes

Oh, @Parrotperson, I am so sorry that your husband has been treated so unfairly. It must be so difficult for you both to get your heads round.
We are here for you both and you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you feel like talking to someone.
How are you both thinking and feeling now?
Where would you like to move to?

2 Likes

I echo what everybody else has said. It seems so very unfair for you both. Just take care. I’m looking forward to hearing about your plans. We are here if you need us x

2 Likes

@Parrotperson like the others I’m lost for words at how badly you and your husband have been treated. I’m not sure of any practical advice to offer but we’re all here for moral support any time you need us and need to vent your anger. I hope something practical comes of the OH meeting and things improve for you.

3 Likes

thanks all. He was more or less resigned (excuse pun) to it as his union haven’t been particularly helpful.

We’ve always wanted to go and live in Northumberland. So that’s what we are looking at. Time we lived our lives instead of being beholden to others.

2 Likes

I love your attitude and how you are looking at this. It’s been a difficult time for you both and I’m glad you are doing what you’ve always wanted to!

1 Like

Truly sorry to hear what you and your husband are going through @Parrotperson and how he’s been treated after all the time he has worked there. Do give us a call if there’s anything we can do to support you.
Northumberland looks so beautiful! It’s really good to hear that you’re looking into doing something you’ve always wanted to do.

2 Likes

Hi @Parrotperson. How are things with you. Did you make any decisions about your move?

3 Likes

Hi @Parrotperson,

I echo @Nichola75 , hope you and your husband have been doing okay, how have things been for you both?

2 Likes