Is there life after AML?

In March 2021 I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia with Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). 48 hours after the initial shock of the diagnosis I turned my mindset into I’m going to get through this and live a normal life.

The treatment was tough getting to remission but the news that a stem cell donor had been found was a great boost. I received my new cells in October 2021. The first 100 days of recovery were the hardest but then I started to focus on more positive things, the recovery got easier. By May 2022 I was back riding my bike. A year after my transplant I decided to take on a massive cycling challenge the Mallorca 312 which I completed on Saturday just 18 months and 3 weeks post transplant.

The only thing I can say is never give up

7 Likes

Morning at @Muzza.
Thank you so much for this post. I love stories that show what people have overcome and the things they have achieved following treatment and recovery. It really does give others hope and made me smile from ear to ear this morning.
It sounds as though it was a really tough journey and I am so pleased to hear you are doing well :blush:

5 Likes

Wow, that’s absolutely amazing and INSPIRATIONAL, @Muzza! (and yes, I am shouting INSPIRATIONAL!)

I’m so relieved for you that you got through the worst to be in such fantastic health now, and I’m sure many people going through the harrowing Acute Myeloid Leukaemia horror will see this post and be truly inspired and hopeful. And hope is just so important - it’s a real gift to give to other people.

And such a huge bike ride! It must have been an amazing challenge to undertake, and a real accomplishment to finish. I hope you’re still on a high from it!

Well, you’ve inspired me to push myself. My son has offered to train me at the gym, and I was about to duck out today at the last minute, feeling too middle aged (!) But I really do want to lift weights - so I’ve just got to do it. To challenging oneself! Thank you, @Muzza.

So glad you’re in such fine health now, and are enjoying life.

Very best wishes

Fullofbeans X

3 Likes

Hi @Fullofbeans get to that gym now :rofl: only joking glad you are still doing well and have that option now in life to make the choice of doing what you like.

There’s so much negativity/news in the world that I I just want to make people realise that having such an awful illness can actually change their life’s for the better. I have never felt as good health wise.

The cycle event was a challenge especially with the temperature hitting 37 degrees at one point but determination got me through. Out of 1550 people that officially finished I was 838 so a massive achievement. I I’m still buzzing from it.

If my post inspirers one person to go out and achieve something they think they can’t do then my goal has been achieved.

Keep living life to the full and make memories x

1 Like

Well this is just what I needed today. Thanks @Muzza For your post and message. I love cycling and am in awe of your trip - that’s amazing! A real achievement. I will share with my daughter- thank you :blush:. I will also keep posting on here. Thanks again and keep peddling :bike:

5 Likes

@SarahMum any questions just ask away on here, lots of support from this community x

3 Likes

Ha ha, am now back from the gym, @Muzza (but can’t work out until my membership is processed - typical!) But I have committed myself now, and I’m all psyched up thanks in part to your inspiring post.:blush:

I can’t believe you cycled in 37 degree heat, and finished in such a good position - that really is a feat and a half. I’d be buzzing too, if I’d managed something like that!

Yes, national and international news isn’t exactly cheerful lately, and of course getting cancer is never fun. It is brilliant (and useful) to hear of such positive outcomes after grim illnesses like Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. Up until fairly recently, Acute Myeloid Leukaemia was considered one of the nastier cancers, but thankfuly so many more of us are surviving and living well, thanks to all the genetic research and advances in treatment. We’re both very lucky indeed to be here, and in such good health after our SCTs. From all I’ve seen at my Late Effects clinic and on an Acute Myeloid Leukaemia site that I’m a member of, some people have more post-transplant teething problems than us (I haven’t been completely without my own, tbh) and a small number have ongoing issues for years after. But like you say - never give up on your recovery, because some post-transplant conditions can improve eg. Fatigue, Graft-versus-host-disease (and even the chemo damage I sustained to my heart.) It can take time though.

And we should celebrate survival in all it’s shapes and forms. :blush: Survival is the larger part of the entire Acute Myeloid Leukaemia picture now. Although sadly, not so good outcomes still do sometimes come into it too. May that soon be part of the past picture, eh?

Great to hear from you, @Muzza. Keep at it!:biking_woman: X

2 Likes

Hi @tarafoster a great big welcome to our forum.
Please do keep on posting and sharing about you, there is also a lot of information on the Blood Cancer UK website and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is on 0808 2080 888.
Look after yourself

2 Likes

Hi @Maxinesa a great big welcome to our forum and posting.
What you say is so true and that relationship between patient and healthcare professionals I think is key.
Please do keep on posting and sharing about you, there is also a lot of information on the Blood Cancer UK website and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is on 0808 2080 888.
Look after yourself

2 Likes

Wow, @Muzza What a massive cycling challenge the Mallorca 312 must have been.
Respect to you.
What now I wonder?
Congratulations again, be kind to yourself now.

2 Likes

Hi @Erica a few days of rest and then the planning will start for the next adventure :man_shrugging:

Priority is to keep the fitness level I have built up as well as just loving being alive and hopefully give people something positive to help them through treatment.

6 Likes