Just a quick hello, and some self-pity :)

Hi @LH3, I am so glad your mum is home again. I echo everything @Nichola75 says that emotional time bomb is absolutely emotionally, physically and practically draining. I find it so difficult to ask for and accept help but if my batteries are really depleted I am no good at looking after myself let alone anyone else. We are here for you to be able to really say what it is like being you and the Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you.

2 Likes

Thank you
My dad who is 88 is finding it extremely hard. Mum is younger 75. They have carers going in twice a day. The district nurse has called anf the

1 Like

And the Macmillian nurse is going to come next week.
Mum has to go for transfusions again Monday.
Thank you for all the support x

2 Likes

It sounds like there is lots of help there. I can imagine still all a little overwhelming to say the least! How are you holding up? X

1 Like

Does it sound silly when I say I don’t know. Feel stil im alittle denial that this is happening x

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t sound silly at all! In fact it sounds so familiar. I felt like that a lot through my journey. For me it was just a way of getting on with what I needed to do. I didn’t have time to think about how I was actually doing. My husband was the same. Just be aware of you’re feelings because and when things change we will be here to help X

4 Likes

Hi @LH3, no, it certainly doesn’t sound silly at all, I was in denial for ages and my emotions were all over the place, just think of the shock you have had, my emotions are also all over the place in in lockdown.
I would say just be kind to yourself, give yourself time and spoil yourself and keep posting.

3 Likes

I’d like to add my welcomes to the new people on here. Never feel selfish to feel how you feel. It’s an enormous challenge for everyone concerned. The disease itself changes lives and destroys hope and all of that has been compounded by Covid-19 and the events of this year. I was diagnosed with Myeloma over 2 years ago and the toughest part of it has been dealing with lockdown for me. I don’t live with or near my family so have had to develop a sense of independence and coping with my own thoughts, which is why I find these forums so useful.

4 Likes

Yes sometimes is a big comfort knowing you are not alone.
Mum is suppose to go to hospital today for another blood and platelet I think she will but depending on what they say will she will decide wether she wishes to carry on with them.
She isn’t giving up she’s just had enough :pensive:

3 Likes

Please @LH3, let us know how your mum gets on and the what she decides she wants to do.
How are you doing?

1 Like

Hi Erica. Mum had platelet transfusion today they had dropped to 6 x I’ve been told this is very low.
She has perked up alittle.
Thank you :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @LH3, has your mum had to stay in hospital? Must have been a hard day for you both. You’ve had so much to deal with. Please remember we are all here for you x

1 Like

No. They have let her home and given her a number in case of emergency.
We have the district nurse coming tomorrow and my friend is going to cut her hair xxx

2 Likes

Is 6 low for platelets x I only learnt tonight that people with MDS can lass through bleeds because of tje low counts z

1 Like

A haircut always boosts my mood so I hope it dies the same for your mum! There is so much information to take in isn’t there - can sometimes feel a bit overloading. I’m glad you have the nurse coming in tomorrow - must put your mind at ease a little?

1 Like

Thank you :heart:
Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so it will just be mum and dad. But we are beey honest and don’t keep things from me x
Just worried the count is so low x

2 Likes

You sound like you have such a lovely relationship with them both! I don’t understand about levels but obviously understand the worry if they are low. Were the medical team able to shed any light in it?
I’m ok. Working from home day tomorrow which I always look forward too and really need after a Monday in school!

2 Likes

I work in a school too. Ive been told if I want to carry on seeing mum i should get signed off because if a child tests positive the bubble shuts down and we have to isolate x

2 Likes

Yes - you’re right, you would have to. Let me know what you decide on that one. How realistic is it that you could get signed off? Can you do your job from home? Sometimes work is a break isn’t it but can cause extra stresses as well.

2 Likes

Totally agree.
My head is amazing.

3 Likes