Lockdown and shielding

Now that a national lockdown looks likely I’ve not Heard anything yet about shielding.
I remember a few weeks ago Matt Hancock saying he was writing to those who had been shielding…yet don’t know if like many I’ve not had any letter at all.
I just follow the guidance that my Dr or Consultant gives me…I hope we arent an after thought.
Many have gone through isolation and had acute mental health issues due to shielding… I hope they remember those who are suffering because of this virus.
So we await the news
…hope everyone is well and keeping safe…fingers crossed…

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, no, I did not get a letter and you seem to have a good philosophy for staying safe. If we do go into lockdown we will all support each other through it on this forum. Yes. Stay safe and keep posting.

1 Like

I’ve not stopped shielding since March.
When we were told we could pause shielding I asked my GP, he told me to ignore government advice as the risk is still here.

1 Like

We need official guidance! Like you I have not received a letter! Do they still expect me to spend the day teaching groups of secondary students whilst others stay at home. We have been abandoned.

2 Likes

Boris seemed pretty categoric tonight when he said he said he must ask the ultra-vulnerable not to work unless they can do so from home. I’m very relieved because I’ve not heard any advice for people in the tier 3 areas and we wondered if it wasn’t going to get a mention in the 2nd national lockdown. Presumably furlough will be available.

1 Like

The increase in Covid deaths and infections is due to the government’s conflicting and obscure advice.
The statement in August that shielding could be paused for the elderly and vulnerable was a death sentence for some people that followed the advice.
When the previous lockdown rules were relaxed it lead a great many of the population to believe that the danger was past, now the death toll is a million.
If the government was a company they would be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter.
All blood cancer patients have a reduced immune system and should be shielding.
Take advice from your medical team as I have.
When I was first diagnosed with Myelodisplasia with a very poor prognosis in November 2014 my Haematologist told me that any disease I contracted would kill me quicker than the cancer.
I have followed her advice to the letter and that’s why I’m still alive after 6 years of chemotherapy.
We are all at risk because the government ignored scientific advice.
Stay safe

Anthony

1 Like

He has advised us to not work, but we can only claim SSP for the month. Many CEV people will not be able to afford to live off that so will be forced to make a decision between health or finance. It’s ridiculous :persevere:

1 Like

Oh no. This is so upsetting. My husband is on immunotherapy so clearly in the original ultra-vulnerable group. He was on SSP for the majority of the first lockdown because he was already on it due to being on chemo. His company would only transfer him to furlough when his six months ran out. Why on earth does the government think that people in this category are magically able to live on less money!

1 Like

The new advice isn’t any clearer, we’re just told to be careful but so has everybody else. All that’s changed is that hospitality venues are closing. The university is staying open and I’m due on campus on Thursday as normal.

1 Like

There is a further group of people who are defined, also on medical grounds, as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus – that is, people with specific serious health conditions. Over this period, we are advising the CEV to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you are advised not to go to work and may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA). You are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible, but are encouraged to go outside for exercise. The full new guidance will be published on Monday 2 November and the Government will write to everybody who is clinically extremely vulnerable to set out detailed advice while the new restrictions are in place.
From Gov.uk

2 Likes

Hi All @Franko, @Blackhat, @SP7, @Jill1, @Groves1103, @Hmc63, yes, confusion and also anxiety reigns, I expect the government and Blood Cancer UK will put out some more guidance during the week, but I think we all personally know what we need to do, whether it is possible to do for many reasons is another matter.
Thanks @SP7 for your information.
The main thing is, I think, that we stay as safe as we can do,

1 Like

I’m so grateful that there are people on here who understand this category and the issues involved. A lot mistake it to mean all elderly people or those not working anyway. Unfortunately my husband is likely to carry in working if they only grant SSP. I really hope they reconsider.
Thanks for the gov UK quote, SP7. I hadn’t been able to find the new info.

2 Likes

Please @Jill1, please keep posting how you are.

1 Like

Thank you for your kindness, Erica. I think I’ll feel better if the government decision is at least challenged and a discussion is had.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, it’s so understandable that anxieties are high at the moment, I really hope you’re all doing okay and want to remind you that we are just at the end of the phone if anyone wants to chat things through with us. Have you spoken to your employers about potentially using the extended furlough scheme? It’s available for people who weren’t previously put on furlough, as well as those who were.

1 Like

Hello all, I was diagnosed over 2 years ago with CLL. I am on watch and wait. After the 'Sheilding rules were relaxed, I have been out and about, haircut, limited shopping, and distancing coffee meets with a relative. I have been doing my own quite thorough risk assessments, and wear masks, constant handwashing, 6 feet distance rule etc. I am actually seeing my 'Consultant on 2nd Novemeber, face to face, and will inform her of my movements. However is there anyone out there, knowledgable enough to impart some advice on this CLL Sheilding, question.

1 Like

Hi @Vindicatrix, I realise government current guidelines are a bit unclear so I am taking the advice of my medical team, medical experts and Blood Cancer UK and there is a lot of information on their website.
I have CLL and in March the government actually mentioned blood cancers as vulnerable because we seem to have compromised immune systems,
I was classed as vulnerable and had the government letters re shielding initially, so my personal thoughts are that I should be very careful now. I just have a walk early in the morning, wearing a mask and social distancing. Then I just go to medical appointments.
Perhaps it is also worth looking at Leukaemia Care and CLLSA websites.
But that is just me, I believe in staying safe.
Take care and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Thanks for that Erica, I supposed it’s an indivdual call, and the level of ‘Risk Assessment’ one is willing to take. I will curtail my outings until I see my Consultant in a couple of weeks.Thanks again.

2 Likes

I never received a letter about shielding despite having RA and ET. Finally in the post one day at the end of June, a letter arrived telling me that I should be shielding. Another letter, written the day after but arriving on the same day said Whoops, sorry we made a mistake, you don’t have to shield!

Needless to say, infections are pretty low down here, so I just go about my own business, wear the mask and sanitise hands etc

I don’t think that one size fits all in the medical world and you have to act as you see fit.

Hope all goes well for you in the future

1 Like

Hi @Vindicatrix, please let us know what your consultant says. Take care.