MMR Jab post autologous stem cell transplant

Hi Lovely people. Its been 2 1/2 years since my autologous stem cell transplant for myeloma. Life is back to normal so hang in there if you’re going through the same treatment. More recently the MMR jab has been added to the vaccine list. This is a LIVE vaccine :face_with_peeking_eye: given month 24. Being on lenalidamide my neuts hover between .7 and 1.2. Which is still moderately low.
My consultant is of the opinion that its ok to have the jab but my gp nurse looked in the green book and it states people with compromised immune systems can be overwhelmed with the live vaccine and die. Not giving me much confidence!! Can anyone offer their experience in a similar situation? Many Thanks

3 Likes

Cant give you any advice but am very interested to find out what happens as im just starting to receive my childhood inoculations again. diphtheria tetanus polio whooping cough etc. im a year post transplant, neutrophils are the same as yours on lenalidomide. I thought we weren’t allowed “live” vaccines??

2 Likes

Hi, you’re right all the normal vaccines you have again aren’t live so pose no risk, although my arm swelled after one due to some weird reaction. I think the MMR has been added more recently. I guess they think after 24 months post AT your immune system is robust enough to deal with it but as my neuts never went back to ‘normal’ it seems medical people have different views. Problem is measles is on the up at the moment!

3 Likes

Yes ive been hearing that about measles. I had that previously as a child. Im being fairly anti social at the moment anyway as i caught a chest infection before Christmas and my medical team were all over it- not that im complaining! Im totally risk adverse!, can you keep us updated here how you get on please?

2 Likes

Hi there
I have myeloma transplant nearly two years ago
It’s not on my list of re vaccination
I’m not in remission and im having ongoing immunosuppressants
It’s a no for me
I have copied this from myeloma UK

“You may receive the MMR vaccine after stem cell transplant (Stem cell transplant) if you are in remission and have no ongoing immunosuppression. Your healthcare team will advise if this is appropriate and safe for you”

2 Likes

Hi @Lyn99, Thank you for raising this. It’s great to hear you are doing well.
You’ve asked a really great question and I’m sorry you have been given conflicting advice on this. @2DB has beaten me to it but relayed a great piece from Myeloma UK.

This webpage from Anthony Nolan also highlights the best practice around Live vaccines.
I would suggest that you re contact your consultant raising your concerns and recommendations as per the greenbook in order for you to feel fully reassured about the decision and your current level of risk.

Do let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes, Lauran

3 Likes

Thank you that’s very interesting. I think that individual Trusts have different views! Sounds as though most organisations are being cautious on this one. I’m going to revisit the issue with my Consultant. Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks Lauren, sounds as though most organisations are cautious on this one. Bit of a catch 22 as having measles is dangerous for us too! Appreciate your help I will revisit this with the Consultant with the information. Thanks

4 Likes

I also have a schedule from 2018 from Cheltenham where I had my first transplant

Worcester is 2022 I had my second transplant in Birmingham

Agree with you about revisiting this with your consultant

2 Likes

Hi, 2DB thanks for finding this out. Serum test, sounds like a good idea. I had covid antibodies after my transplant from my jab received a couple of weeks before so I’m not convinced that all immunity is erased. I wonder if my Consultant might agree to this? I’ll ask.
Wishing you well with your treatment.

2 Likes

An update on MMR. I revisited this ussue with my Consultant and he said to go ahead as per updated European Directive. Even with moderately low neutraphiles at 1 ish I had the vaccine 3 weeks ago and have been fine. I’m always quite poorly with Covid vac so was pleasantly surprised. Im not suggesting that this is right for everyone but if you have been asked to have this live vaccine, hopefully my experience may make you less worried. Take Care All.

3 Likes