Shingles vaccine - non live

I have had a stem cell transplant (autologous). I.am due to start childhood revaccinations this month. I have been told by my excellent Macmillan Nurse that I can have the non live shingle vaccine. As my immunity to chickenpox has been wiped out I am wondering if I need the shingles vaccine. As far as I can see you can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox. I know that I could get chickenpox from someone who has shingles. Has anyone else got advice re shingles vaccine after stem cell transplant?

2 Likes

It’s a good question @Berit and perhaps your contact nurse, consultant or GP are best placed to answer your question.
I have not had a transplant but I did have the non live shingles vaccine, Shingrix, it comes in 2 injection doses in my case given 3mths apart. Personally I did not have any side effects.
I hope others will be able to help more and I will copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurse advisors @BloodCancerUK_Nurses just in case for you.
Take lots of care of yourself

3 Likes

Good Afternoon @Berit,
Thank you for raising this question. I hope you’re doing okay?

As your brilliant nurse has correctly advised- avoiding live vaccines in in your best interest both if you live with blood cancer or following a stem cell transplant.
Therefore when you are arranging your shingles vaccine please ensure you are given the non live shingles vaccine. This is called the Shingrix® vaccine. This can be arranged via your GP.

You can read more about this on our staying safe webpage here- Blood cancer and staying safe | | Blood Cancer UK.

I hope that is some useful information for you, but please do come back to us if you have any other questions. Alternatively, if you would prefer to talk things through, our helpline is open 7 days via 0808 2080 888.

Finally as someone going through post transplant queries i wondered if the Anthony Nolan Online patient & family forum may be useful for you now and into the future- Patients & Families Forum | Anthony Nolan

Best Wishes, Lauran

5 Likes

I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) with P17 deletion and with the medications I am on of Venetoclax and Zanubrutinib I am now in deep remission however my immune system was completely destroyed… As a result, I have had to have all my childhood vaccinations again. In addition, I have had two shots of Shringrix about 3 months apart with no side effects six to nine months ago.

2 Likes