Chicken pox vaccine

Hi all. My husband is in remission from ALL and been told he must keep away from chicken pox. We are going to vaccinate our children with the chicken pox vaccine and know it is a live vaccine. Does anyone know how long he should stay away from our children from, after their vaccine?

2 Likes

Hi Fleur,

Thank you for reaching out to us, it is understandable to have questions about this.

I have spoken to one of my colleagues who was an blood cancer nurse in the NHS for many years and she has said that they usually recommend avoiding close contact with someone who has had a live vaccine for 7 days.

We fully appreciate this may not be practical for you both, but it might be preferable if you husband avoids activates such as changing, cleaning and bathing.

It may be worth speaking to your husband’s treatment team as they should be able to offer guidance around your individual situation.

If there is anything more we can do to support you please do let us know, you can find all the ways to get in touch here: https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/talk-blood-cancer/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Support%20services&utm_term=Coronavirus&utm_content=Support

Take care,
Sophie

2 Likes

Hi a great big welcome @FET666 I am so glad that you found us.
My husband was offered the Shingles vaccine recently, which is connected to Chicken Pox and also a live vaccine.
In the questions he was asked beforehand with the nurse he was asked if he lived with someone with a weakened immune system. He was told to ask me to check with my medical team whether it was a compromised immune system or an immunosuppressed immune system. I did talk to my GP although I knew the answer that I have a compromised immune system.
He did have the vaccine, but was advised to avoid me for at least 7 days, sleep in separate beds and strict cleaning procedures, like we were told originally when shielding last year.
I have CLL, and was diagnosed in 2003, and I contracted shingles in 2013 with the stress of a housing move. The shingles still lives in my body and raises it’s head anywhere in my body if I overdo it emotionally, physically or practically or with what personally stresses me. I don’t deal with stress well. Shingles can be nasty.
But your husband has a unique medical history and I would say he should check it out with his medical team.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Sophie has given you lots of useful information. Things like this are such a worry aren’t they. I hope this information helps. How are you all doing?

1 Like

I seem to remember that one of the vaccines I had last year was to prevent me from getting shingles and luckily I’ve managed to avoid that as there so many other things for me to catch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so so much everyone, that’s all really helpful! Sorry for the delay replying.

2 Likes

@FET666 please do let us know how you both get on.

1 Like

Hi we kept my husband away from our children after they had had their chicken pox vaccines, for two weeks and ensured any rashes were gone. This was what we felt safest with. Thank you so much everyone for your guidance.

1 Like

Glad it all worked out. Hope you are all well?

1 Like

Hi @FET666 thanks for letting us know, better safe than sorry.
How have you been doing?

1 Like