My journey with Hodgkins Lymphoma

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in Decemeber 2019. I will be finished treatment on the 26th June. I just wanted to let yous all know that I have wrote a blog and add new content to it regularly on my journey and how I have got through it and coped with it all if yous ever want to have a read and to know you can message me any time if you just want a chat. I cant believe I have had cancer and having support from others who have gone through it too I think is a really big thing and I hope to help others like others have helped me.
My blog is rachaelvkenny.webnode.co.uk

5 Likes

Wow, Rachel, what a brilliantly produced blog. I loved the heart shape on the front page and then I was so impressed with the separate headers, it made the blog so readable. Thanks so, so much I am sure it will inform and help so many others. You especially described your fertility dilemmas so poignantly. Weirdly so many of us were diagnosed during December (me 16 December) just coming up to what appears in the media as happy families celebrating round a log fire.
A great big welcome to our forum, I am sure all your contributions will hopefully be therapeutic for you and so helpful to others. We are all here to support you as well and you can also contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you feel the need.
I found that I was on a fearful, anxious rollercoaster from symptoms appearing, till diagnosis and beyond. When the activity side slowed down then the emotional side really hit me. I would be interested in hearing more about your emotional process now through isolation, as you might have read on our forum some of us have gone through a bit of a rollercoaster hitting an emotional low a few weeks back. Also do you have support from family, friends and perhaps work?

1 Like

Hi @rachaelvkenny. I was diagnosed with NSHL in 2007 after 11 months of blood tests, ECGs, echocardiograms and a major operation. My story will not be your story. I was 51 at the time, and had a very unusual presentation, and a very aggressive form of the disease. Eventually I had my own stem cells harvested and then transplanted, and a course of RT afterwards. I am now eleven years in remission. You may like to have a look at the section on recovering after cancer treatment. It can take time, and you will probably find ‘a new normal’. You will have bad days and good days, and eventually you will realise that the bad days are not occurring as often. Best wishes for your recovery

3 Likes

That’s an amazing thing to do and to share with everyone. I wrote a book about my experiences and turned into a sort of autobiography comparing me before and after but I haven’t let anyone read it yet as it’s so deeply personal and I’m not sure how they’ll react. It’s great that you want to share your experiences and help other people going through the same thing.

3 Likes

It is such a personal thing as to whether we share all or some of our stories. Some people find it cathartic to write down their thoughts, like a diary, but don’t want/need to share. Do you feel that you will be judged by what you have written, or that some will not like what you have written as it involves their reactions to your illness?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’m concerned about what I’ve written in relation to my illness as I think most people came out of that quite well (except for my medical team!). It’s more the earlier life stuff which has thrown up quite a few thorny issues from my past which I guess needed to be addressed and this has given me the opportunity of doing. Quite a few people wouldn’t like what I have written about them or myself from earlier events. There are quite a few entertaining travel tales though that I think a lot of people would enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think many of us may have issues from our past. Do you feel that you still need to air those issues, or was it enough to write down your feelings?
Perhaps you might like to rewrite part of your book, leaving out the sensitive sections, which you could then distribute. All the best in moving forward

1 Like

I’m happy to leave it in as it would be a more honest piece of writing and it did do me some good to write it down. I’m not really looking to get it published as such. I might leave it to a trusted friend in my will :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Erica, thank you so much I really appreciate it. I know being diagnosed with blood cancer is horrible and especially so close to xmas :frowning:. I am sorry you have had to go through it as well. Life can be very unfair. Thanks so much. It took me 5 months to be diagnosed, I was so depressed and anxiety through the roof. Now I can gratefully say i am finished treatment but i am so worried about my 6 week post treatment scan. I really wish I would stop thinking the worse. It’s so hard to stay positive. Yes my friends, family and work have been amazing but it’s not the same as being able to talk to someone who is going through exactly what I am and truly understands but I am so grateful for them all and the support I have had :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I am so happy to hear that you are 11 years in remission after such a horrible time for you. It’s great to hear off people living long lifes afterwards, gives hope. I diffo will take a look. I tend to worry a lot so dont know how I will cope with the worry that it could come back. Do you have any late side effects of your treatment in years after?

2 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate you saying that. I think it is very therapeutic to write about how you feel and what’s troubling you. I always feel good once I write a blog that I have let out how I am feeling as well as helping others I feel I am helping myself. Its great you wrote about your experiences and you are able to compare before and after. You dont have to let anyone read it if you dont want to. Only do what you feel comfortable with. But I am sure people would react in a good way and it would benefit many

1 Like

Hi there. As I said before, my story is not your story. The presentation was a large tumour attached to heart, lungs and blood vessels, so step one was removing part of one lung and a repair to my heart, which means I get breathless easily, and have to take medication for heart failure. I also suffered hearing loss from a chemo I received during multiple relapses (an unusual side-effect). On the plus side, I was given low odds of surviving one year post SCT, and here I still am. How do you feel now you have finished treatment? Fear of relapse is normal, but don’t let it take over your thoughts. If you feel anxiety is taking over speak to someone before it gets a hold. I needed help from my GP for a while as I started having panic attacks and would break down in tears, often in a public place, and there is no shame in that. Take care

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your blog, I have recently been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma and it has been the most scariest time of my life. I am only 36 years old and what a shock !
Your blog has really helped me understand more about the processes etc as this is all a lot to take in. Thank you and I wish you lots of luck on your journey xxx
Thanks
Lou B xx

2 Likes

I wish you well in your treatment for HL and hope that you will find lots of support and help on the forum. Topics that may resonate with you are fatigue, chemo brain, what foods help nausea and dry mouth, and if you become neutraphenic. The support line 0808 2080 888 may help you if you need to speak to someone, and there is patient information on the Blood Cancer UK website. Best wishes for your recovery

1 Like

Hi @LouB, a great big welcome to our forum, I hope you find the posts interesting and informative, we are all here to support you. You say you are recently diagnosed so it is natural you will be in shock, it is a lot to get your head around, give yourself time and be kind to yourself.
What I have found on this forum is we often have different blood cancers but what we often share are the same emotions, thoughts questions and practicalities. I find I need to write down all my questions before medical appointments as I go blank when I walk in the room. You have a right to ask everything that is on your mind and you would like answers too and it is OK to ask answers to be repeated if you do not understand them. @Pisces56 has given you great information. I look forward to hear more from you.