My mum has said chemo is no longer working

My mum was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia 18 months ago she has dealt with sepsis, pleurisy and pneumonia but still fighting, yesterday she was told that the chemo is no longer working, and that she hasnt got long left. Im finding it hard to process as she looks so well at the moment

1 Like

Hello @rach327 and a big welcome to the forum.
I’m really glad you you have posted.
I can only imagine how you and your mum are feeling after receiving the news you have. You must be heartbroken, especially as you say that she looks so well. How is your mum handling the news?
Please remember that the support line is there for you and your family. I’ve added the link below if you feel it would help to speak to somebody.
Have you got people who can support you as you support your mum?
Please keep posting. It is so important for you to have a space to say how you are feeling and for us to be able to support you X
Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK.

2 Likes

Hi @rach327 I am so glad that you have found us and had the courage to post at this time.
I just cannot imagine how you are both feeling, I expect you are in complete shock and it is too hard to process.
How are you both coping?
What are the next steps?
Perhaps do lots of lovely things together and spoil yourselves. Memories are priceless.
@Nichola75 has given you the support line details if you would like to talk to someone, I have found them lovely.
You have got us to support you both, perhaps just take one day at a time.
Please keep posting and really look after and be very kind to yourselves.

1 Like

Thankyou so much, Mum is coping really well, myself and my dad are a bit shell shocked, apparently its blood transfusions until that doesn’t help, its all so confusing

2 Likes

I believe shell shock will take time to process @rach327 and I think everyone does it in different ways. Look after yourselves

1 Like

Just write down any questions you think of and ask anything you need to x

1 Like

Hi @rach327, we’re so sorry to hear the news about your mum. It’s understandable to find this tough and hard to process. You’re not alone and our Support Team are here for you if you need any support around this at all. I just wanted to re-iterate what others have said here- please do give us a call if you’d like to (0808 2080 888). Or you can email us if that feels better to you (support@bloodcancer.org.uk).
Take good care of yourself and remember we’re here if you need a listening ear or a safe space to process this.
Best wishes,
Tanya.

2 Likes