Myelofibrosis prognosis in elderly

Hi @Dinonick yes, the word ‘cancer’ is so scary, but I have had another blood cancer for 18 yrs and I am still here and now 72 yrs old.
I think it is so difficult to make a diagnosis as some symptoms might have a variety of causes.
I think sometimes doctors and consultants don’t like to overload patients with information because the patients are scared and in shock. So they want to take it in stages as they get results back and can look at the way forward.
Please keep posting on here as we are here for you as is the Blood Cancer UK support line.
You are obviously such a loving caring daughter so look after yourselves and be kind to yourselves

1 Like

@Nichola75 and @Erica i can’t thank you both enough for your caring messages. I really do appreciate it!

2 Likes

I think we can all sense these things can’t we. Perhaps she is just waiting to hear the words from him. I’m sure you’re such a strong support for her and we are here for you. Please keep posting and keep us updated on how you are both doing x

1 Like

Your mother is very lucky to have you supporting her @Dinonick . I know how anxious it can be as I’ve had several members of my immediate family with cancer aside from my own cancer. Keep us updated on how things go and be kind to yourself.

2 Likes

Hello @Dinonick and welcome to the Forum. It is such a worrying time for you and your Mum. I am sure it is so reassuring for her to have you by her side and supporting her. Once you have seen the Consultant please do get in touch with us if you need any information and support Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK Take care Gemma

2 Likes

Thank you all. She had her bone marrow biopsy this morning. The staff at the hospital were amazing, and let me stay with her throughout, holding her hand which I think made both of us feel better!! Mum was a superstar and didn’t even flinch. Everyone was so kind and lovely and patient, it made the whole experience so much more bearable. Now we wait for the results which they say will be 2 to 3 weeks

2 Likes

Great news @Dinonick that you were able to stay with your mum through her bone marrow biopsy, a great relief for both of you.
I have found the NHS staff have also been amazing.
Yes, your mum sounds a superstar.
Please keep posting how you are both doing.
Look after yourselves and spoil yourselves and celebrate getting the procedure done.

1 Like

Im glad that another part of the process done, now it’s just the waiting which is often the hardest part. All here if you need us. Sending you and your mum special wishes x

1 Like

Thanks @Erica she wanted cake on the way home and split a Chinese takeaway with my dad for tea so I think she was spoilt! @Nichola75 we know it will take a few weeks to find out so for now I’m trying not to think about it too much

1 Like

Take care of yourselves and keep us updated. I reckon lots more treats and spoiling to pass the time! :wink: Lots of love x

2 Likes

Hi @Dinonickjust wondering how you are both doing now?

Oh @Erica how very nice of you to think of us and ask. Mum had a bit of a wobble when the consultants letter arrived, I think it made it real again, but she’s trying to be positive. She does get tired quite easily - but I’ve told her its ok to have a nap if she needs one! I think at the moment its the waiting that is the hardest. She wanted to know more once the letter arrived, I read her the info from this site, which is I think less frightening than some of the other sources you can read, and she said she felt happier

2 Likes

I think it is natural for your mum and you to have wobbles, we all do and yes, the waiting is always the worst time and seeing things in black and white does make them feel so real.
How are you yourself doing @Dinonick ?

1 Like

Hi @Dinonick. Sometimes it makes you feel a little more in control when you have reliable information.
Yes - waiting is just the hardest thing of all. I still find it the hardest part. How are you managing? X

2 Likes

@Nichola75 and @Erica thank you both for asking - I’m surviving. No other option really is there? Parents already needed lots of help so I’m keeping going with that. Pop in almost every night, it’s all the little things, changing lightbulbs, emptying bins, changing the beds. My brother lives a distance away so it falls on me to keep them going.

1 Like

Yes - we have to keep going but it can be very tiring. Sometimes those little things just add up don’t they. It sounds like they are very lucky to have you. I think you deserve another Chinese :wink: X

1 Like

Haha @Nichola75 thats what mum had tonight! Their local takeaway started delivering during lockdown and its been a lifesaver when she doesn’t feel like cooking

1 Like

Oh and thank you both. I can’t tell you how much it means to have you both looking out for me xx

1 Like

That sounds just perfect!

1 Like

We all need somebody to look out for us and that’s what this family forum is all about. I hope you get a good nights sleep ready for the day ahead
Make sure you take your own advice and have a nap if you need one X

2 Likes