Myelofibrosis prognosis in elderly

Hi @Dinonick yes, we all look out for each other on our forum and it can be the carers that get forgotten sometimes, I call you the unsung heroes.
Oh, the idea of a Chinese, even at 11.20 in the morning, sounds wonderful, I can smell it from here.
All those little jobs certainly do mount up and the idea of clean sheeting beds in the evening sounds exhausting to me. I nearly end up inside the duvet cover every week !!!
You have also just reminded me I need to empty the bins too, thanks.
I hope you are looking after yourself as well as you look after your parents

2 Likes

In fairness Iā€™ve changed the beds at the weekend, Iā€™m not sure even I could manage it after a full day at work! Mum was in hospital before Christmas, but is a lot stronger than she was when she came out so Iā€™m doing less for them at the moment - just the heavy stuff or things that need ladders etc. Iā€™ll stop talking about takeaways, itā€™s making us all want one!! Two weeks ago tonight weā€™d just seen the consultant and I think I was in shock, but finding this forum was the best thing I could have done ā€¦ youā€™re all superstars!

2 Likes

Itā€™s really great to have you here and to be able to help and support you and how wonderful that she is feeling stronger :blush:

2 Likes

Gosh @Dinonick so much has happened in such a short space of time, I think you are all doing brilliantly.
I am glad that your mum is a lot stronger.
My shock lasted for ages so be kind to yourselves

2 Likes

I canā€™t imagine what that must have felt like, you must be a very strong person. Everything you do on here, its such an incredible support.

3 Likes

How are you and your mum doing @Dinonick?

1 Like

Hi Alice. Thanks for asking. Weā€™ve still not had the biopsy results yet. They said it would take 2-3 weeks and itā€™s 4 now. I think I need to chase them! Mum is seeming stronger but she still looks very pale which I assume is blood count related.

2 Likes

I just hate waiting for results. Hopefully youā€™ll get them soon. Chasing up never hurts. Let us know how you get on x

2 Likes

Hi @Dinonick yes, I often have to chase medical things too.
I am glad your mum seems stronger.
Please let us know how you get on.
Look after yourselves and spoil yourselves, both of you. It is so hard being a carer.

1 Like

I asked her tonight and she said she didnā€™t want me to chase them! Sheā€™s got a lot on her mind at the moment as unfortunately my brotherā€™s partner has been moved to a hospice (she has melanoma) They got married there on Thursday last week, we were able to go but it was a very bitter sweet thing, I think there is only so much weā€™re able to process in one go unfortunately.

1 Like

@Dinonick I am so sorry to hear that your brothers partner has been moved to a hospice.
I am glad that you were both able to go, but as you say so bitter sweet.
I think there is only so much we can deal with and process at once, for me especially since diagnosis.
Be guided by your mum and look after yourselves

Thatā€™s so tough for you all. There is so much happening right now and you have to take things at the right pace for you all. Sending lots of love x

1 Like

@Erica and @Nichola75 thank you both, itā€™s hard going, sheā€™s hanging on in there but the strain on my brother is immense. I spent yesterday with him which he said helped. Mum had the letter from the consultant yesterday, appointment in just over 2 weeks. Sheā€™s worrying understandably but is saying sheā€™s not going to worry till there is something to worry about!

1 Like

Hi @Dinonick. Im sure it helped him more than you know. Must have been a tough day. Hoping the two weeks will fly by! I hope you are giving yourself time to rest and keep your strength up? X

2 Likes

Hi @Dinonick Oh, it must be hard going for you all and I bet the strain on your brother is immense and I am glad that you spent the day with him yesterday for all of you.
So your mum sees the consultant in just over 2 weeks and I like the way she said that ā€˜sheā€™s not going to worry till there is something to worry aboutā€™, I am sure I have been known to say that as well and nobody believed me, I wonder why !!!
Please let us know how you are all doing.
Look after yourself too.

1 Like

Hello there @Dinonick, I have been catching up on all the messages and I am so sorry that your family is going through such a tough time. I can read that you have found the Forum very supportive and please do continue to keep in touch. If you need any further support, particularly after your Mumā€™s appointment, please do call How to contact Blood Cancer UK | Blood Cancer UK, also @Alice_BloodCancerUK and I are on the Forum too if you need. Take Care Gemma

2 Likes

@GemmaBloodCancerUK @Erica @Nichola75 thank you all. My sister in law died this week, funeral is the day before mums appointment so weā€™ll have a week of it! Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be back with questions when we know more. Thanks once again for the support xx

2 Likes

Hi @Dinonick I am o sorry to hear that your sister i law died this week, my thoughts are with you and all your family.
Yes, you have a very difficult, emotional week coming, we are here for you.
Tell your mum not to agree to anything she is not sure about, ask for a bit of time to consider and get back to them.
Your heads will probably be all over the place,
Be kind to yourselves and look after yourselves.
Yes, ask away when you want to.

Dear @Dinonick, so sorry to hear that your sister and law died. Sending sympathies to you and yours. Do get back in touch when the time is right for you. Take good care of yourself and your family, Gemma

2 Likes

Iā€™m really sorry to hear your news. It must be a really difficult time for you all. It is going to be a very overwhelming week. Iā€™ll be thinking if you. Sending extra special wishes x

3 Likes