Newly diagnosed and in the dark

Hi@Kaycie ,how are you doing?thanks for wishing me well with the vaccine booster.It was a surprise to be called up for it as @Gemma said in her post MGUS isnt classed as a blood cancer yet Myeloma UK recommend having a booster and thanks to @GemmaBloodCancerUK for that info.I think because ive been diagnosed with MGUS it must have flagged up on my records for NHS Scotland to have sent me an invite ,so perhaps when you get your blood results and the GP has written to Haematology it might be the same for you.I did feel the effects of the vaccine worse this time than before I was more “fluey”
And the effects on my neuropathy were worse so ill be glad to be over it .Meantime I hope you get an answer soon ,least the sun is shinning which always helps and that you’re having a break too.
Bannanacake

2 Likes

Hi @Bannanacake, I’m doing ok thank you. Hope you feel better soon and the effects of the vaccine wear off quickly. I’m still no further forward but as you say the sun is shining so that helps make the world a better place. I will update on here as soon as I know any more. Take care & Stay safe.

2 Likes

Hi @Edwinam69. Thank you for your response and the useful info. I am on the MGUS Facebook page and hoping for an appointment with haematology to hopefully get the answers I need. Watch this space…Thanks again, take care & stay safe.

3 Likes

Just a quick update…I’ve just telephoned GP to request a copy of the letter he said he was going to send to haematology 10 days ago. The secretary has just advised me it is at the dictation stage but cannot give me a timescale as to when it will be sent. I really get the impression they don’t want me to know whats happening to my own body but cannot understand why. I will update this post as soon as I know whats going on but it could be a long wait (she says with a big sigh!). Thanks again for your support.

4 Likes

Oh no@Kaycie ,I do feel for you ,thats not what you wanted to hear but good on you for checking and if I were you i would check again next week ,you just have to keep on. I speak from my own experience of other OP appointments ive been waiting for and refferals.In the meantime you can always ask the Surgery for your latest blood result. I must say my own GP was hot of the press on contacting the Haematologist and had a reply
Very quickly ,my fingers are crossed for you :blush:
Bannanacake

2 Likes

Thanks @Bannanacake for your message. I have my blood results online but cannot interpret them & my GP has openly admitted he doesn’t understand them either which is why I need to speak to haematology. Hopefully they wont take too long to get me in, fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Hi @Kaycie ,for the paraprotein result ot will say at the top of page
Serum immunoglobulin concentration
And
I
gA
IgM
IgG
With level against Normal Range
I dont understand the Dr cant interpret them ,anyhow I understand youre wanting tonheae from the Haematologist .
Thanks for posting .
Bannanacake

2 Likes

Hi @Kaycie since I was diagnosed 18 yrs ago I seem to have been waiting on medical people and have a feeling of being out of control, even if I do have my fingers crossed !!!
Look after yourself

2 Likes

Hi,

That’s good that you have joined the group, look at this on your tube as it’s very interesting.

This is one of the Mgus experts

Edwina

3 Likes

Hi@Edwinam69,thank you,yes it is a very in teresting and useful explanation of MGUS I found it a few months ago myself when I was searching for an understandanding.I hope you are keeping well .
Bannanacake

2 Likes

Hi

Yes okay get my mri results next Thursday. What’s interesting about that video is the dr said Mgus has cancer cells that are not quite there yet. Meant to ask your age as I was 52 when I was diagnosed. My haematologist said that’s pretty young. I have lots of questions for them next week :joy:

Edwina

4 Likes

hi @Edwinam69 please let us know how you get on next week.
Look after yourself

1 Like

Thank you so much xx :kiss:

Kind regards,
Edwina

2 Likes

@Edwinam69 This was interesting, thank you for sharing. Take care.

2 Likes

@Edwinam69 Hope your MRI results are what you wish for. I am 52 also. Please let us know how you get on. Take care.

3 Likes

Hi@Edwinam69,im glad to hear you are feeling ok at the moment .I am older than you and yes 52 is a young age to have MGUS but interestingley enough you say you have arthritis and other illnesses and it mentioned on the video that inflammation can trigger a rise so I guess you will have lots of question’s. My paraprotein was discovered after a screeing by the Neurologist 3 years ago ,it was too low to bother about till I asked my GP to check again and it had risen,Haematologist still said low and unlikeky to progress,however being me a year later asked for it to be checked again,on the rise and so on .GP wrote to Haematologist who advised all sorts of things to look out for and to "watch and wait"every 12 weeks.Ive got the Thats my story its so different for everyone, my Mum had treatment for agglutinins disorder so its a probability its “in the genes”.Ive found Myeloma UK Nurses support as well as BCUK Nurses helped me make sense of things. I sent for an MGUS diary and thats useful to keep track of results .I hope you get to find out from your MRI what the problem is and for you to have a plan for a way forward,it sounds as though you are well prepared :wink:
And that is key .I find the Versus Arthritis web site really good ,mine is ok and manageable now following Physio and an exercise plan so I hope yours is too @Edwina .
Wishing you all the best and for a sunny weekend
Bannanacake

3 Likes

Hi Bannacake

I get tested every 12 weeks anyway so that’s how they found out it was rising. I’ll keep you all posted.

Edwina
:heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

@Bannanacake Hi, thanks for your help. There is nothing like this on my results so guess I’ll just have to wait until I can see someone face to face. I do appreciate your help though so thank you very much.

2 Likes

Hi there all , this Wednesday afternoon I got phone call regarding MRI scans, will keep you updated if when get results
Thanks kev

3 Likes

Hi @Kevin1 yes, please do keep us updated.
Take lots of care of yourself

3 Likes